Post-Game Talk: SENS got the Blues, Thurs 7:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yup his wheels were on display. Formenton like.
How about a third line of Formenton-White-Veronneau?
Good luck catching them.
He was very smart with the puck. Did not look like his first game. Already gained the total trust of the coach it seemed.
Could have easily had two goals.
He was one of our best players tonight.

Just one game but a good one to build on for sure. Better than I expected.

Nice!

I just found this sweet highlight package of Brannstrom & Veronneau from Sens Prospects (the twitter guy), in case anyone wants to watch it!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, I really wanted to watch Veronneau's debut, but unfortunately I have some deadlines coming up and needed to work through the evening.

Seems like there's lots of praise for the kid --> glad he was able to impress! Any detailed reports of him from tonight's game?

With these NCAA kids, you never know how their skillset will translate to the pros. What Veronneau has that a LOT of NCAA kids don't is world-class wheels... I assume this was noticeable tonight? It really makes the difference for a lot of these smaller-sized college players at the NHL level.

Skating stood out from the start. Was good at retrieving the puck on dump ins. Knows how to use his speed through the NZ and was able to find soft spots in the OZ on a couple of occasions. Sneaky shot but will have to learn to use his body a little better to shield the puck if he wants to be a scoring threat. Nothing really stood out as a weakness so far. Just one game but overall was a pretty good debut, didn’t look out of place.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Good luck catching them.
He was very smart with the puck. Did not look like his first game. Already gained the total trust of the coach it seemed.

He was quick, but in person he was clearly a step behind Formenton speed-wise. If he and Brännström would have connected on that pass and shot, that would have been something . Good game tonight.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Good luck catching them.

Formenton - Norris - Veronneau :naughty:

When you add Abramov, Duclair, White, we're starting to have a lot of speed among our forwards. Should be fun. We need a few Brannstrom types as launchpads for them with their stretch passes. I hear Karlsson could be available as a FA?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

When you add Abramov, Duclair, White, we're starting to have a lot of speed among our forwards. Should be fun. We need a few Brannstrom types as launchpads for them with their stretch passes. I hear Karlsson could be available as a FA?
Abramov looks very promising too.
I just always put tkachuk with Norris making that the second line. Leaving white to centre the third.
Which would be fine. Course we have to see Norris in an Ottawa jersey first.
I don’t see Duclair sticking around. As much as I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don’t see Duclair sticking around. As much as I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.

I think we for sure give him a qualifying offer. He's been a legit player for us, and he's still young. There's been a serious opportunity for him here to get some quality minutes, and he's made the most of them. He's an objective upgrade over several guys we've had on the roster all year - at the very least, he seems like good insurance to have around in case one of the kids shows up to training camp and we find out he isn't quite ready for the big leagues.

Gibbons, Lindberg and Paajarvi I think will all be allowed to walk, though.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Can anyone shed any light on why Duclair only played 10 minutes against the Blues - and that seems to be the norm. I watch him when he plays and he's fast and has very good offensive instincts - and while he's no Mark Stone defensively, he seems ok.

What's the deal?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Skating stood out from the start. Was good at retrieving the puck on dump ins. Knows how to use his speed through the NZ and was able to find soft spots in the OZ on a couple of occasions. Sneaky shot but will have to learn to use his body a little better to shield the puck if he wants to be a scoring threat. Nothing really stood out as a weakness so far. Just one game but overall was a pretty good debut, didn’t look out of place.

He's tiny, he is going to have a real hard time defending against heavy teams. Not a big concern, it is a team game after all but that really stood out to me. He'll also get bigger and stronger but his frame seemed Turris-like.

I found that he was really good at being deceptive with his hands. Makes the opposition think he's going one way, but then goes the other way.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Can anyone shed any light on why Duclair only played 10 minutes against the Blues - and that seems to be the norm. I watch him when he plays and he's fast and has very good offensive instincts - and while he's no Mark Stone defensively, he seems ok.

What's the deal?

He is absolutely awful without the puck. He has no idea what to do.

I am fine with keeping him to allow the prospects time in the AHL and it would be a low risk, high reward scenario but he is certainly nowhere near adequate in terms of defense.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

What's the deal?

He's not on the PK so that could be a contributing factor. But yeah I agree, Duclair is one of Ottawa's few forwards who seems dangerous every time he has the puck. (He's also a +1 so hardly a defensive liability so far.)

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like Goloubef. Guy is good.

I thought Boedker had a great response to his quasi-benching.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

No money, no trade clauses, no bonuses = no way!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He didnt have a good first period, but start to settle in to the game in the second. Had a few beauty passes from his own zone to spring guys on breaks. Had some struggles defending opponents in his own zone, and got burnt on one play by Steen, but overall didnt do to bad. You can tell he see's the ice well and wants to create something every shift. It might take him a while to adjust to the NHL game and find out what he can and cant get away with at the top level.

Yes it will take Brannstrom a while to adjust to NHL level competition playing against men. He has very good skating and puck handling skills. Speed is not elite but it is good to see him able to skate with the puck. He has a way to go before becoming a top 1-2 NHL Defenseman. His small size could be an issue.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad