News Article: Sens Fan Tobias Turned Away at US Border

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Feel bad for the fan. Wonder why the border patrol was giving him so much trouble.

Hopefully the Sens win on Thursday to make up for his troubles.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am embarrassed as an American that this happened.

Still if he was coming to Boston why did he cross at Champlain, NY? Highgate Springs or Derby Line, Vermont would have made more sense.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
I am embarrassed as an American that this happened.

Still if he was coming to Boston why did he cross at Champlain, NY? Highgate Springs or Derby Line, Vermont would have made more sense.

Would they? They both seem further than Champlain.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not that I really know what I'm talking about but CTC to Champlain is 2h52m and Champlain to TD is 4h43m. Would only have to take I-87 briefly.

Pretty simple - if you driving to Boston from Ottawa/Montreal if you take I-87 you have to travel thru Albany to connect to I-90.

From Montreal you have 2 options - the shortest is taking the A-20 to the A-35 EXCEPT Quebec never finished the A-35 to I-89 and you have to take Quebec 133 to the border which is one of the worst roads I have ever driven. A-35 should have been finished in 1967 but it never was. The route I take is 15 miles longer which is the A-20 to the A-55 which connects with I-91 at Derby Line. In any event US Customs is easier at either Highgate or Derby Line than Champlain.

CJaY060UMAATv4p.jpg

I do know that being a resident from Germany is not a slam dunk into entering the US and at a land border it might be harder than an airport but this should not have happened. :rant:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/de/de-niv-visawaiverinfo.asp

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
If you're a non Canadian resident in Canada you require a visa to enter the US. Especially over-land. It has always been that way. If you are from most European countries one can get a US visa from the Embassy or consulates in Canada. If from certain other countries (the usual suspects here) you have to apply at your home country's US embassy......and have the interview there!!! So no go really. Nothing new.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
If he is traveling on a German passport he needs an ETA to enter the US.
Pretty well everyone needs either a full blown visa or an ETA to go to the US except for Canadian citizens who only need their passport..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was once detained for over an hour because the customs agent would not accept that I was a Canadian citizen even though he had my Canadian citizenship card in his hand. I finally had to tell him he was right for him to let me get on with our trip. Some of those guys either lack education or are on some kind of power trip especially now with Trump in power. Maybe they think they are right but it makes no sense if people become citizens of any country to then turn around & say that's not so because they weren't born there. There is nothing that you can do if they decide not to let you go regardless if they are wrong or not & it's next to impossible for them to pass you to another agent or manager at least this guy wouldn't.

I feel sorry now for all of those Canadians who were not born in Canada even though they are Canadian citizens that could have a difficult time at the borders or through customs if they get the wrong guy on a power trip. They have the authority to ruin any trip just from their misunderstanding of what citizenship is or means. So much nonsense over a handful of crazies who got exactly what they wanted, the West to spend billions of dollars on security & bring things to a crawl. They will eventually bankrupt the scaredy-cats in the west with all this security & defence nonsense & nothing we can do as they take away more & more of our rights. All we are saying is give peace a chance.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Is Tobias a member here? If not, we need to get him to sign up! Any German that cheers on the Sens and bashes the Leafs is A-OK in my books. Too bad that border agent had a stick up his ass.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Like I said, not enough info. You can shout power trip or agent was a moron of course.

But I'd like to hear more details about the line of questioning. He just says it was really ridiculous, which I can empathise with as noone enjoys a secondary examination at the border, but all he says in interview that he was asked about his employment in Germany and how he supports himself Which is hardly ridiculous. Then there is legitimatly frustrating sounding statements about the agent asking him repeatedly about his Bruins ticket and not "getting it".

So.. what else happened over 4 hours.. because that's like a 5 min exchange at most.

I don't know if the interview was edited or what, but basically two separate times they ask him what the reason US CBP gave him for the questioning and/or refusal was and he doesn't elaborate and just says he had enough and went back to Canada.

Maybe they didn't tell him. Maybe it was just as goofy as it seemed. Maybe it was something administrative later like it was a problem with the visa waiver . Maybe it was something else Tobias didn't share.

Anyway, whatever.

Last edited:

NYrunner

Jan 12, 2008
So.. what else happened over 4 hours.. because that's like a 5 min exchange at most.

I'm guessing that he spent quite a bit of time just sitting and waiting while US Customs checked his records. On my last trip to Ottawa for a game, I was delayed at the US border (on my return) for just about an hour. Only 5 minutes of that time was spent being questioned....the rest of the time I was just waiting while they were checking my records on the computer. It was quite frustrating because there was just one other person in the screening area during that entire hour. That being said, I appreciate the efforts of US Customs to keep us safe.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have a good story about how me and my friends got our buttholes searched crossing into Canada for Warped Tour in Barrie, Ontario. This was probably like 2004. And I am being literal, flashlights were aimed at our buttholes.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have a good story about how me and my friends got our buttholes searched crossing into Canada for Warped Tour in Barrie, Ontario. This was probably like 2004. And I am being literal, flashlights were aimed at our buttholes.

Don't lie now. You liked it didn't you. :naughty::sarcasm:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My god-mother is a Canadian citizen who was born in East Pakistan. In 1971 East Pakistan became Bangladesh, so now her Canadian passport says "BDG" under the country of birth section.

Without fail, every single time she goes to the US, the US Customs Agent looks at her passport and sees BDG as country of birth and then she gets taken aside for interviews because they think she was born in Baghdad...which is a city...not a country...#Murica.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I was once detained for over an hour because the customs agent would not accept that I was a Canadian citizen even though he had my Canadian citizenship card in his hand. I finally had to tell him he was right for him to let me get on with our trip. Some of those guys either lack education or are on some kind of power trip especially now with Trump in power. Maybe they think they are right but it makes no sense if people become citizens of any country to then turn around & say that's not so because they weren't born there. There is nothing that you can do if they decide not to let you go regardless if they are wrong or not & it's next to impossible for them to pass you to another agent or manager at least this guy wouldn't.

I feel sorry now for all of those Canadians who were not born in Canada even though they are Canadian citizens that could have a difficult time at the borders or through customs if they get the wrong guy on a power trip. They have the authority to ruin any trip just from their misunderstanding of what citizenship is or means. So much nonsense over a handful of crazies who got exactly what they wanted, the West to spend billions of dollars on security & bring things to a crawl. They will eventually bankrupt the scaredy-cats in the west with all this security & defence nonsense & nothing we can do as they take away more & more of our rights. All we are saying is give peace a chance.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad