Proposal: Sens / Ducks

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'll add that although I love Stone and would love to have him on this team, I think at this point the Ducks are better served trying to turn their 2019 and 2020 1st round picks into two of our franchise's next young stars, rather than trying to parlay them into one star winger who would cost upwards of $9M well into his 30s.

Stone is totally worth it for a team in the right situation but I just question whether it's the right move for the Ducks right now. Maybe I've been watching too much summer showcase hockey but damn I'd love to see what our scouting staff can come up with out of these next two draft crops.
Either way I have to assume if the team is healthy, our 1sts will be 20+... while we make solid picks in the 20's... idk that id bet on them being Franchise stars.

You add Stone to Rakell/Kase/Henrique and our prospects like Terry/Steel/Comtois/Jones/lundestrum/ Ritchie/Groulx etc.... and our potentially fork in the road when perry/kesler/getz are done doesn't look so bad ... granted wed still lack a legit 1c(unless Steel pans out).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Perry is what? 33? If Ottawa moves Stone they need young players and picks. A first is a good start, but you still have to add at least 2 more pieces.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ah, in this move, I would assume Stone tests the market (again, unless he really clicks with the team and loves the city). That is why my package is for a one year rental of Stone with NO expectation to keep him (the conditional is in there in the unlikely case, though), plus shedding Perry's deal.

The freed up money would be somewhat eaten by Gibson's new deal, but the rest can go to a quality free agent signing or Silf w/small raise if they choose to keep him.
Ah well if its a pure rental... then id really want nothing to do with that trade... id like stone if the idea is to resign him... but trading 1st 2nd and top prospect for 1 year of stone... where we are still fairly unsure how healthy the roster will be... is a scary idea.... that could turn into the Ottawa/Colorado trade very quickly.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Ah well if its a pure rental... then id really want nothing to do with that trade... id like stone if the idea is to resign him... but trading 1st 2nd and top prospect for 1 year of stone... where we are still fairly unsure how healthy the roster will be... is a scary idea.... that could turn into the Ottawa/Colorado trade very quickly.

It would take some ultimate craziness to end up less healthy / more injured than last season, heh. Of course never say never, but I don't see how Ducks +Stone -Perry are not a playoff team (as I think they are even as-is).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It would take some ultimate craziness to end up less healthy / more injured than last season, heh. Of course never say never, but I don't see how Ducks +Stone -Perry are not a playoff team (as I think they are even as-is).
I guess if this was the plan... you would do it as a rental at the deadline. Then you don't even have to include perry in the trade. You also have a better idea of how healthy the team is, and where you stand up against the rest of the league...and you potentially take the risk of that being a lottery pick out of it. At the same time Ottawa might want more knowing itll be a later 1st.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Either way I have to assume if the team is healthy, our 1sts will be 20+... while we make solid picks in the 20's... idk that id bet on them being Franchise stars.

You add Stone to Rakell/Kase/Henrique and our prospects like Terry/Steel/Comtois/Jones/lundestrum/ Ritchie/Groulx etc.... and our potentially fork in the road when perry/kesler/getz are done doesn't look so bad ... granted wed still lack a legit 1c(unless Steel pans out).

I'm not in the complete doom and gloom crowd when it comes to the Ducks future by any means. I just don't think it's necessarily a good idea to borrow from that future to try and add a high priced veteran rental winger.

You say our firsts will be 20+ if healthy, but I say that's a big if right now. From the information I can gather, we have just two centers with significant experience who we can say are 100% healthy and ready to start the season.

I'm not down enough on the group to suggest we won't contend, but we saw how close last season came to unraveling. I'm in wait and see mode right now, if the team is healthy and contending mid season, then maybe we push some more chips in. If not, it's time to make some changes and focus on adding more high end young talent for the next wave.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not in the complete doom and gloom crowd when it comes to the Ducks future by any means. I just don't think it's necessarily a good idea to borrow from that future to try and add a high priced veteran rental winger.

You say our firsts will be 20+ if healthy, but I say that's a big if right now. From the information I can gather, we have just two centers with significant experience who we can say are 100% healthy and ready to start the season.

I'm not down enough on the group to suggest we won't contend, but we saw how close last season came to unraveling. I'm in wait and see mode right now, if the team is healthy and contending mid season, then maybe we push some more chips in.
Oh I agree.... id like to see how the team plays/looks and maybe make a move at the deadline... Still pretty unsure bout kesler/eaves...and who knows how guys like terry/steel will work out if given time... but I do feel a lot more comfortbale defensively assuming we role out with
Lindholm Manson
Fowler Montour
Larsson Schenn/Welinski/Sustr and obviously our goalie duo is great.

Up front still concerns me.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Just doesnt work,we have prospects,and we have old overpaid players...What we need are good younger nhl players,Stone is one of these....If we cant sign him by Jan then we may look for a prospect deal

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Perry and Ottawa just aren't reasonable fits to begin with.

Beyond that, threads on guys in this position rarely result in anything close to a consensus. The Sens haven't given up on keeping a star player long-term at this moment, and thus most fans haven't accepted that "top assets" generally aren't being traded for guys in the last years of their contracts, approaching unrestricted free agency, even when they are as good as Stone. And they don't have to, at this point in time, nothing wrong with holding out hope and re-visiting when decisions require being made. The type of offer that will be realistic then is not the type of offer that will make people give up on a chance to keep the player long-term now, which is entirely understandable.

Reactions: Duck Off

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Looks like a pretty fair deal to me. Assuming Stone isn't looking like he will resign with the Sens then 2 1sts and prospect is a good deal. Even if it ends up a 1st and a 2nd with the prospect, thats not bad at all. Though Perry wouldn't waive and I'm sure Ottawa would need ANA to retain a bit, which I doubt they would want to do. If all that got worked out though, I think the hold up would be more on Anaheims side not sure about giving up so much futures at this point, and not being comfortable spending as much as they likely would have to to resign him.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
orrr...

Erik Karlsson (signed)
Bobby Ryan
for
Brandon Montour
Nick Ritchie
Troy Terry
Correy Perry
1st 2019
2nd 2020

Lindholm - Karlsson
Fowler - - - - Manson

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
1) we won’t give up a first The only damned thing we’re good at lately is drafting
2) nobody in their right mind wants Perry and that contract, and we won’t retain most likely
3) Stone is great, but we are pretty RW loaded, and Murray doesn’t like UFA rentals it seems
4) we are honestly a tough trade partner for anyone with our contract issues, budget issues, and Dino coach mentalities....

And Ryan coming back?? No way given the past

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If Perry is involved, I'd imagine Ryan would have to be, too. And if Stone is involved, I'd guess that Silfverberg would also be in the deal since there is no way the Ducks can sign both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->