Proposal: Sens / Ducks

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
For sake of discussion, if Perry agreed to waive to go to Ottawa, how do fans see this deal?

Ducks:
- Mark Stone

Sens:
- Corey Perry
- 2019 1st round draft pick
- Josh Mahura OR Marcus Pettersson
- Conditional 2020 2nd round draft pick (becomes a 2020 1st round if Ducks re-sign Stone)

Anaheim upgrades the RW for this season to once again attempt to contend for the Cup, with a player who would fit perfectly in RC's system. Chances are high he walks as a UFA, unless he really enjoys the city and takes less than market value. However, the bigger plus here to Anaheim is to ditch the Perry contract (and lose a NTC before the Seattle expansion draft).

Ottawa gets a very nice package of young assets (LD seems a position their pool is weak on) to acquire Perry's contract for three years. They downgrade Stone, who most likely IMO will walk after this season to Perry, who can still put up points and is pretty much at his floor, IMO. He can also play a mentor role. Ottawa is a budget team (far as I'm aware) but they shouldn't need the cap space Perry takes up in the next three seasons, especially if they move EK and/or Duchene too.

I am guessing fellow Ducks fans will think this an over-payment, but I think this is definitely a move BM would make if it were acceptable to Ottawa/Perry. No idea how Sens' fans feel about it though but am curious to see :)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sens get an old, extremely expensive player, a late first, an okay D prospect, and a late 2nd or late 1st.

Not even close.

Take out Perry, add a top asset.

Alternatively, keep Perry in there, add Ryan from Ottawa, add top asset from Anaheim.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For sake of discussion, if Perry agreed to waive to go to Ottawa, how do fans see this deal?

Ducks:
- Mark Stone

Sens:
- Corey Perry
- 2019 1st round draft pick
- Josh Mahura OR Marcus Pettersson
- Conditional 2020 2nd round draft pick (becomes a 2020 1st round if Ducks re-sign Stone)

Anaheim upgrades the RW for this season to once again attempt to contend for the Cup, with a player who would fit perfectly in RC's system. Chances are high he walks as a UFA, unless he really enjoys the city and takes less than market value. However, the bigger plus here to Anaheim is to ditch the Perry contract (and lose a NTC before the Seattle expansion draft).

Ottawa gets a very nice package of young assets (LD seems a position their pool is weak on) to acquire Perry's contract for three years. They downgrade Stone, who most likely IMO will walk after this season to Perry, who can still put up points and is pretty much at his floor, IMO. He can also play a mentor role. Ottawa is a budget team (far as I'm aware) but they shouldn't need the cap space Perry takes up in the next three seasons, especially if they move EK and/or Duchene too.

I am guessing fellow Ducks fans will think this an over-payment, but I think this is definitely a move BM would make if it were acceptable to Ottawa/Perry. No idea how Sens' fans feel about it though but am curious to see :)
Idk that Ott would want to take Perry back(and if they did id guess wed have to retain a 1-2mil on his contract), I feel like Ott would want a forward of some sort coming back with the package(maybe like Fiore or something and they throw in a later pick.

From Anaheim perspective... that's a lot of futures to move... but I do like stone a lot as a player... and that would really help get some value out of money spent(stone is a much better player then perry at this point in their careers). Id do it personally.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think Ottawa fans will like it, and Anaheim is not in a position to be giving up their 2019 1st + good prospects for an impending free agent.
Honestly im okay with it, Losing Perrys money means well have money to resign Stone to a pretty solid contract. I also assume if we pick up Stone.... wed potentially ship out 1 of Silfverberg/Eaves at the deadline for a pick.

but I doubt ott wants the perry contract..

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sens get an old, extremely expensive player, a late first, an okay D prospect, and a late 2nd or late 1st.

Not even close.

Take out Perry, add a top asset.

Alternatively, keep Perry in there, add Ryan from Ottawa, add top asset from Anaheim.
Jeeze Larsson and Mahura are very underrated around here.

Reactions: Vipers31

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If you are going to have Perry waiving his trade protection to go from sunny SoCal to an Ottawa team that figures to struggle to convince a bevy off pending UFAs to stick around past June 2019, potentially with more cost cutting measures to come, at least lay out the argument you would use as a GM to convince him to do so. Let’s hear it. Why does he do it?

Pro tip; When making Ottawa trade proposals this summer, avoid anyone with existing trade protection. Avoid sending guys to Ottawa who have to agree to a sign-and-trade deal to make the trade work. Put a modicum of thought into it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Honestly im okay with it, Losing Perrys money means well have money to resign Stone to a pretty solid contract. I also assume if we pick up Stone.... wed potentially ship out 1 of Silfverberg/Eaves at the deadline for a pick.

but I doubt ott wants the perry contract..

What if Stone has no interest in signing an extension in Anaheim without testing the market? We've heard Murray's comments on impending free agents and on how much he likes the 2019 draft, can't see him moving his first and a good prospect for what could amount to a one year rental of Stone.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Bad value for the Senators. Perry would also never waive his NTC (I know OP said in a scenario where Perry would waive, but it's so far fetched it's beyond reason).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Bad value for the Senators. Perry would also never waive his NTC (I know OP said in a scenario where Perry would waive, but it's so far fetched it's beyond reason).
out of curiosity what exactly do you guys expect for stone on a 1 year deal?
Steel
Larsson/Mahura
2019 1st
2020 2nd(1st if resigned)?
Perry
Not that id do that... just curious as to what you guys think is fair value, on 2nd thought I don't think that works cap wise so wed have to do it under the idea perry waives.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
If you are going to have Perry waiving his trade protection to go from sunny SoCal to an Ottawa team that figures to struggle to convince a bevy off pending UFAs to stick around past June 2019, potentially with more cost cutting measures to come, at least lay out the argument you would use as a GM to convince him to do so. Let’s hear it. Why does he do it?

Pro tip; When making Ottawa trade proposals this summer, avoid anyone with existing trade protection. Avoid sending guys to Ottawa who have to agree to a sign-and-trade deal to make the trade work. Put a modicum of thought into it.

Again, I don't see Perry waiving to go anywhere at all unless the Ducks start putting him in the pressbox (which I doubt RC has the cajones for). But, for sake of discussion:

- He is from Ontario, likely has friends and family there still
- He doesn't seem to enjoy spotlight/big market teams; Ottawa (like Anaheim) qualifies as the type of market he'd prefer.
- He would absolutely get Top6 minutes and perhaps PP1 time again in Ottawa. This may not be the case at this stage of his career if traded to other teams (Contenders)
- I have no idea if he and Bobby Ryan are friends, or if he enjoyed playing on a line with him when they did, but it could be a small plus if he did

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
out of curiosity what exactly do you guys expect for stone on a 1 year deal?
Steel
Larsson/Mahura
2019 1st
2020 2nd(1st if resigned)?
Perry
Not that id do that... just curious as to what you guys think is fair value, on 2nd thought I don't think that works cap wise so wed have to do it under the idea perry waives.

I just think Perry is a complete non-starter for a Melnyk run team, so if he needs to be involved the deal probably dies.

Personally I'd be looking at a couple of bluechip/great prospects as the centerpiece with picks added as needed (s something like Larsson + Steel/Jones/Terry? + draft picks. That might be overkill, and I'm sure the price would be a bit lower at the deadline, but that's what I'm thinking the price would be for a full season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Again, I don't see Perry waiving to go anywhere at all unless the Ducks start putting him in the pressbox (which I doubt RC has the cajones for). But, for sake of discussion:

- He is from Ontario, likely has friends and family there still
- He doesn't seem to enjoy spotlight/big market teams; Ottawa (like Anaheim) qualifies as the type of market he'd prefer.
- He would absolutely get Top6 minutes and perhaps PP1 time again in Ottawa. This may not be the case at this stage of his career if traded to other teams (Contenders)
- I have no idea if he and Bobby Ryan are friends, or if he enjoyed playing on a line with him when they did, but it could be a small plus if he did
Imagine paying 16-18 million for perry and ryan at this point in their careers lol.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Jeeze Larsson and Mahura are very underrated around here.

After years on this board, I've gotten used to it. Tangradi was barely mentioned here, then was traded to Pittsburgh and was a "great prospect". Holland was rarely mentioned period, and when he was traded he was again, some great prospect. People laughed at me when I said Theodore was more valuable than Pouliot. It's just HF, but honestly the media in general for the most part.

As far as the deal, it's never going to happen because Perry won't waive, and I don't see Ottawa taking that contract. Value wise, I think it's closer than people are saying. especially if it's Mahura, who I think is a very good prospect. Murray wouldn't trade that much anyway though.

Reactions: Getz2perry

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I don't think Ottawa fans will like it, and Anaheim is not in a position to be giving up their 2019 1st + good prospects for an impending free agent.

I'd normally agree, but in this scenario, it gives them one more 'win now' shot with Getz & Kes for this season, and frees up major money the next two seasons, while also ditching a NTC for the expansion draft so we can protect a valued youngster instead.

Our D core is very young and we keep Larsson; any other D prospect IMO is expendable in this trade. Losing the picks suck, but Ducks have great scouting for finding gems in other rounds + if we do move Silf we can likely recoup a 1st there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just think Perry is a complete non-starter for a Melnyk run team, so if he needs to be involved the deal probably dies.

Personally I'd be looking at a couple of bluechip/great prospects as the centerpiece with picks added as needed (s something like Larsson + Steel/Jones/Terry? + draft picks. That might be overkill, and I'm sure the price would be a bit lower at the deadline, but that's what I'm thinking the price would be for a full season.
Oh I agree about perry… I doubt Ott takes him, and I doubt he'd waive for it... While perry isn't like Cheechoo bad (still manages to stick around 50 points, hes def way overpaid).

Eh depending on the combination I think that's somewhat doable(obviously due to Cap we cant even consider stone unless we move 1 of Fowler/Kesler or Perry).
Doubt wed do Larsson + Steel(as those are basically corner stone pieces moving forward for us, hopefully), but I could see Larsson + 1 of those 3 plus some sort of pick/2ndary prospects... if we found a way to dump perry without losing to many assets.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
After years on this board, I've gotten used to it. Tangradi was barely mentioned here, then was traded to Pittsburgh and was a "great prospect". Holland was rarely mentioned period, and when he was traded he was again, some great prospect. People laughed at me when I said Theodore was more valuable than Pouliot. It's just HF, but honestly the media in general for the most part.

As far as the deal, it's never going to happen because Perry won't waive, and I don't see Ottawa taking that contract. Value wise, I think it's closer than people are saying. especially if it's Mahura, who I think is a very good prospect. Murray wouldn't trade that much anyway though.
That's true... I actually cant really think of any Anaheim prospects that were hyped in any sort of way here.... even guys like Rakell/Lindholm/Montour/Kase had 0 hype.... I guess Gibson would be the biggest 1, and people tend to underrate him(I assume mostly Toronto fans that need to feel like they got the better goalie)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'll add that although I love Stone and would love to have him on this team, I think at this point the Ducks are better served trying to turn their 2019 and 2020 1st round picks into two of our franchise's next young stars, rather than trying to parlay them into one star winger who would cost upwards of $9M well into his 30s.

Stone is totally worth it for a team in the right situation but I just question whether it's the right move for the Ducks right now. Maybe I've been watching too much summer showcase hockey but damn I'd love to see what our scouting staff can come up with out of these next two draft crops.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015

Bit off topic, but is Melnyk trying to sell the team? I feel I read that recently around here, but no idea if it was true or just Sens' fans' hopes and prayers, heh.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd normally agree, but in this scenario, it gives them one more 'win now' shot with Getz & Kes for this season, and frees up major money the next two seasons, while also ditching a NTC for the expansion draft so we can protect a valued youngster instead.

Our D core is very young and we keep Larsson; any other D prospect IMO is expendable in this trade. Losing the picks suck, but Ducks have great scouting for finding gems in other rounds + if we do move Silf we can likely recoup a 1st there.
I don't think it frees up much money, if we make a move for stone it would be because we feel like we can resign him... and hell get 7-8 range long term(specially if he has a good season in Anaheim)…. and I agree we could move Silf at deadline (tho if were going all in id almost prefer to keep him, as having guys like Silf Cogs Stone Kesler Kase Ritchie in the middle of our line up, would make us a very tough team to play against)

pucku33

Dec 12, 2013
I'd take out Perry, add silfverberg.

Stone is a defensive wizard, as is silf - Let Perry do the offensive thing and Stone can replace/upgrade silf. Picks/prospects to balance the value.

Logic: Silf has ties to the Sens already, so they know exactly what they are getting.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I don't think it frees up much money, if we make a move for stone it would be because we feel like we can resign him... and hell get 7-8 range long term(specially if he has a good season in Anaheim)…. and I agree we could move Silf at deadline (tho if were going all in id almost prefer to keep him, as having guys like Silf Cogs Stone Kesler Kase Ritchie in the middle of our line up, would make us a very tough team to play against)

Ah, in this move, I would assume Stone tests the market (again, unless he really clicks with the team and loves the city). That is why my package is for a one year rental of Stone with NO expectation to keep him (the conditional is in there in the unlikely case, though), plus shedding Perry's deal.

The freed up money would be somewhat eaten by Gibson's new deal, but the rest can go to a quality free agent signing or Silf w/small raise if they choose to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad