TSN: Sens' Dorion: No contract talks during pause

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I wonder if other teams are doing the same.

Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion: No contract talks during pause - TSN.ca

Duclair leads the team's crop of restricted free agents with 23 goals this season and has 40 points in 66 games. Connor Brown leads the group in points with 43 (16 goals) in 71 games. Six of the pending RFAs - Brown, Duclair, Andreas Englund, Jayce Hawryluk, Nick Paul and Chris Tierney - are arbitration-eligible, while Rudolfs Balcers is not.

Mikkel Boedker, Matthew Peca and Scott Sabourin are scheduled to hit the open market this summer, along with veteran Ron Hainsey and long-time Senators Mark Borowiecki and Craig Anderson. Dorion noted the team will once again look for veteran help in free agency this year, whether it's from within or on the open market.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Any contract signed right now before we know what impact the pandemic is having on the cap would be risky. Makes sense to wait

Also, we don't know when the next season will begin/when this season will resume. If the season resumes in 3 months, we may find that some of our players up for contract have been passed by younger guys. I know people don't want him signed anyways, but I feel like Hainsey, in particular, is a guy who could lose a spot due to the pandemic.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also, we don't know when the next season will begin/when this season will resume. If the season resumes in 3 months, we may find that some of our players up for contract have been passed by younger guys. I know people don't want him signed anyways, but I feel like Hainsey, in particular, is a guy who could lose a spot due to the pandemic.

Good point, if next season is delayed guys closing in on retirement are just that much closer, heck a guy like Hainsey might even say screw it and up and retire if this drags on.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It would be interesting how 'force majeure' plays into NHL player contracts.

Anyone know how it can play out for player contracts? The league must be give direction on this stance.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Seems like the prudent course of action.

Hopefully it leads to the Sens cutting ties with the UFA’s.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Anyone know how it can play out for player contracts? The league must be give direction on this stance.

All I could find so far was a clause written into the NBA collective bargaining agreement that states "Force majeure allows for the withholding of 1/92.6 of a player’s seasonal salary per canceled game based upon catastrophic circumstances."

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
All I could find so far was a clause written into the NBA collective bargaining agreement that states "Force majeure allows for the withholding of 1/92.6 of a player’s seasonal salary per canceled game based upon catastrophic circumstances."

I am thinking more about contract negotiations. Can they freeze all the agents from talking until a new start date happens? --> Even though a contract expires tack on a new date.

I think this may be on the table. It makes sense.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The cap going down will work in the Senators favor with Duclair.

They would be in a position to bluff about not qualifying him to avoid arbitration, offer him something "fair" on another 1 year deal, and put him in a position to take it or leave it. I don't think they will want to go to arbitration with him because he's got a productive resume on paper.

Brady Tkachuk will be the most interesting contract to watch this summer. If the cap gets decimated, and there is a rollback or salaries, or no rollback, but limited money for teams to spend, will it make him more motivated to take a bridge deal and wait for things to get back to "normal", or will he be more likely to take a 7-8 year contract from the Sens in the 7-8 million dollar range? There is a chance that the COVID-19 situation could expedite the live sports bubble bursting, and the big US TV deal might not come, or might come at a much lesser rate. There could be a big reset going forward, so settling in on a big money contract might be valuable to hedge against the uncertainty of the salary cap.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

There is a Forbes article on it

Force Majeure: The Lasting Fight In The Wake Of Coronavirus

The language of the NHL’s CBA would have allowed owners to renegotiate reduced salaries for players but the NHL has already assured players that they will be receiving their final remaining paychecks in full

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
From the NHL

How will the League handle Player contracts that expire July 1 in the event the season's end is delayed?

Any decision we make on the schedule and critical dates calendar during the offseason ultimately will be done in conjunction with the NHLPA and, in that context, the parties will discuss how best to accommodate the resumption of play determinations that are ultimately made.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
I understand the strategy in not offering a contract or signing a contract during these times, but I don't understand why contract talks would not occur.

This is just like not having any talks with 99% of all the exp contracts and UFA's got traded in the last 3 years until the last minute.

Not terribly impressed TBH.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I understand the strategy in not offering a contract or signing a contract during these times, but I don't understand why contract talks would not occur.

This is just like not having any talks with 99% of all the exp contracts and UFA's got traded in the last 3 years until the last minute.

I wouldn’t want to close a $50M deal over Skype

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What are they really going to talk about if they don't know what's happening with the cap? I mean, they could discuss term i guess, but there really isn't much to negotiate atm. There's no point bartering over 5 vs 6 mil per year if they don't even know there will be a season next year.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

If you can't talk money there is not much to talk about. Without the knowledge of the corona cap, talking money should be off the table

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Other teams are signing contracts. I think internally, teams must know what to expect.

I don't care if we get things done or not, we don't have any key UFAs. I also doubt any of our arbitration eligible RFAs are getting multi-year deals. If Brown, Duclair, and Tierney are on the team next year, I think it will be on 1 year contracts.

I think it is more of a case that we don't have anything that needs to be negotiated now.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

I assume contract talks would only be pertinent if the Sens intended on actually signing someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->