News Article: Sens complete their coaching roster

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Its an interesting staff.

Payne was HC in St Louis when he was only 39. Took over from Andy Murray in 2009/2010 and went 67-55-15 in a bit less than 2 yrs (spread over 3 seasons).... then Hitchcock took over after a 6-7 start in 2011-2012 and went 43-15-11 over the rest of the season..... Since then, Payne has been an assistant in LA (5yrs) and Buffalo (2 yrs)

Bob Jones became an assistant coach in Oshawa at the ripe age of 25 and has been coaching ever since... he won two OHL championships with Windsor as an associate and won the memorial cup both yrs... the next yr, as head coach, he lost inthe 3rd round and then went back to being an associate coach. From 2015-2018, he was head coach in Oshawa, and last year he was assistant coach in AHL Texas.... they had an okay year but had some nice growth in their prospects. Despite being a 25 yr coaching veteran, he is still just 49

Lots of experience in the ranks, thats for sure

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Back in the mid-70s Fred Shero was considered an innovator for having one assistant coach. Prior to that, there were no assistants on NHL teams. Now there are six guys on a staff. Times have changed.

Say this much - at least Melnyk is prepared to green light spending on hockey operations on the coaching side. We are keeping up with the rest of the league and in fact we may have one more assistant than some clubs do. Now, of course, our head coach is probably making a quarter of what the big dogs like Quenneville, Trotz, etc. are making, so that helps. :)

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure the head coach of the Marlies (Keefe) makes more than our entire coaching staff.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure the head coach of the Marlies (Keefe) makes more than our entire coaching staff.

It's possible. Keefe decided to stay with the Marlies even though there has been plenty of interest from NHL teams. Toronto surely paid up to keep his services given the demand.

I don't personally think this coaching staff looks strong compared to most coaching staffs in the league but you can't really compare a product that's worth 4M+ to a product that's worth 1.5M. (Numbers are just for example). Smith has yet to prove anything as a head coach, plenty of good assistants have failed as coaches(in fact most do), especially on their first experience. Capuano will be to Smith what Crawford was to Boucher. The rest is what you expect to attract in the NHL in terms of assistant coaches.

I honestly do not expect these guys to stay more than 2 years. Ottawa is the (cheap) coach revolving door of the league. Not a single coach in Ottawa Senators history has even gotten another head coaching gig in the NHL after coming to Ottawa, I think that says a lot about what type of coach this team hires. They hire assistant coaches hoping that they will step up and become good head coaches but this has yet to happen. Martin and Murray were good coaches, but in the last 12 years this team has failed to gain any type of credibility or sustainability in terms of coaching. I don't expect this trend to change until a real head coach is hired.

This organization needs stability in management, ownership and players. Hiring a legitimate coach and GM would've gone a long way in restoring faith in the "rebuild". I don't think we're going anywhere with this staff unfortunately.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's possible. Keefe decided to stay with the Marlies even though there has been plenty of interest from NHL teams. Toronto surely paid up to keep his services given the demand.

I don't personally think this coaching staff looks strong compared to most coaching staffs in the league but you can't really compare a product that's worth 4M+ to a product that's worth 1.5M. (Numbers are just for example). Smith has yet to prove anything as a head coach, plenty of good assistants have failed as coaches(in fact most do), especially on their first experience. Capuano will be to Smith what Crawford was to Boucher. The rest is what you expect to attract in the NHL in terms of assistant coaches.

I honestly do not expect these guys to stay more than 2 years. Ottawa is the (cheap) coach revolving door of the league. Not a single coach in Ottawa Senators history has even gotten another head coaching gig in the NHL after coming to Ottawa, I think that says a lot about what type of coach this team hires. They hire assistant coaches hoping that they will step up and become good head coaches but this has yet to happen. Martin and Murray were good coaches, but in the last 12 years this team has failed to gain any type of credibility or sustainability in terms of coaching. I don't expect this trend to change until a real head coach is hired.

This organization needs stability in management, ownership and players. Hiring a legitimate coach and GM would've gone a long way in restoring faith in the "rebuild". I don't think we're going anywhere with this staff unfortunately.

I think the assistants are all pretty strong, DJ Smith is obviously unproven as a Head coach though, so the strength of this group will inevitably depend on how he performs.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Boucher and Crawford looked better on paper than the handful of coaching staffs this team had before them, unfortunately it didn't lead to any kind of sustained success. I certainly don't see this group as head and shoulders above our last group when looking at their accomplishments, but hopefully they can help stabilize the team on the ice and get more than 1 year of "success" before the group tunes them out.

Reactions: Back in Black

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Who knows but this appears to be a deep staff, nice mix of experience and competence. What a win it would be if we were FINALLY able to add a long term good coach.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Jacques Martin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad