Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Ottawa is playing their 2nd on a 3 game road trip, shutout last sunday to the NYR, 3-0. They've been struggling offensively, much like the Caps. And with 22 points, they're competing with WSH, 23pts, they also have also played 3 less games. To have any chance of getting in, Washington has to start getting points from Eastern Conference teams. Stone has 13 goals, keep him in check. If the Caps shoot the puck, don't get caught out of position, stay focused for 60 minutes, play to their potential, they could win, I hope that's not too much to ask. Caps 3-2 shootout.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Is it too early to blame the outcome on a tryptophan ovedose.:clittle: (I know it's not a turkey, but it was the closest fowl that I could find)

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
We've always known that, it doesn't mean much. Crosby is also hard to play with.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Barry Trotz: Alex Ovechkin is 'a difficult player to play with'

Still not sure of what Trotz is trying to say here.

Oh lord. The death spiral begins as the wheels on the bus begin to churn players in the press. We've seen this before.

He mentions losing Mojo's speed as a factor in his top line decisions but Mojo wasn't on Ovechkin's line much the last 2 years, iirc. Seems like maybe a veiled complaint about losing Mojo.

Then this disaster:

“Ovi’s not the easiest guy in the world to play with,” Trotz said. “Anytime you see Ovi at the World Championships or playing in different tournaments, like the World Cup of Hockey, or anything like that, players who play with him, really, it’s hard to get some chemistry.”
The Junkies asked why.
“He’s just a difficult player to play with,” Trotz replied. “Some players are naturally a little more pro cuomo (?) if you will and I think Ovi scores the way he does. He’s very instinctive. That’s the best answer on that. He’s just been a hard guy to find matches for. The thought process was that if something ever happens to Nicklas Backstrom, having a guy like Kuzy, and someone who’s played with him a little bit more, will help us long term.”

It's almost over. He can see the writing on the wall and he's creating the press narrative that his failures in DC were not his fault.

I think he's trying to say "quid pro quo" when he uses "pro cuomo", and in describing Ovie as "instinctive" and lacking chemistry I believe he's accusing Ovechkin of being selfish and not sticking to any kind of gameplan. IOW Ovie is a shoot-first freelancer who can't be coached and who burns through linemates because of it.

Am I putting words in his mouth? No. I'm offering my interpretation of what he's saying. This is not a good look for Trotz.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
We've always known that, it doesn't mean much. Crosby is also hard to play with.

You're allowed to be difficult if you are Canadian; its considered passionate or something or other. That's hardly the case though if you're from across the ocean. Its not right but that's how it is in the NHL.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Oh lord. The death spiral begins as the wheels on the bus begin to churn players in the press. We've seen this before.

He mentions losing Mojo's speed as a factor in his top line decisions but Mojo wasn't on Ovechkin's line much the last 2 years, iirc. Seems like maybe a veiled complaint about losing Mojo.

Then this disaster:

It's almost over. He can see the writing on the wall and he's creating the press narrative that his failures in DC were not his fault.

I think he's trying to say "quid pro quo" when he uses "pro cuomo", and in describing Ovie as "instinctive" and lacking chemistry I believe he's accusing Ovechkin of being selfish and not sticking to any kind of gameplan. IOW Ovie is a shoot-first freelancer who can't be coached and who burns through linemates because of it.

Am I putting words in his mouth? No. I'm offering my interpretation of what he's saying. This is not a good look for Trotz.

I interpreted it just like you. Trotz is throwing Ovi under the bus. I agree with Trotz when he says that Ovechkin isn't easy to play with, but from what I've seen, Ovechkin has been playing his system just like the others since he got here. Now this season is different, it feels like everyone is doing something different, there is very little structure in both the offensive and defensive zone.

If Trotz is going to throw Ovi under the bus, he might as well throw the entire team under the bus. As we were discussing the other day, either Trotz isn't doing his job or the players aren't doing their jobs. There is a clear conflict between the players and the coaching staff.

It's time for GMBM to step in. But I fear that this franchise behaves like current in a circuit: always choose the path of least resistance. It's easy to fire Trotz and hire someone else, but it's nearly impossible to trade Ovechkin.

Reactions: g00n

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd be fine with it....but people are seeing what they want to see. Probably for another thread, but I suspect a lot will be revealed on him as a leader and teammate when Ovy is out of the NHL and back in Russia.

What I find odd is that people that have been working directly with Ovechkin over the years have never said a bad word about him. Both BB and GMGM only have good things to say about #8. They could easily Ovi for their shortcomings in Washington but they haven't.

Is their an agreement between the Caps and everyone that worked for the team in the past to avoid criticizing Ovechkin publicly?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You're sure reading a lot into that...lol.

It's what I do, m8. I read people all day. People tell a lot more about what they think and mean with inflection, body language, implication, omission, and so forth than the actual text of what they say.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd be fine with it....but people are seeing what they want to see. Probably for another thread, but I suspect a lot will be revealed on him as a leader and teammate when Ovy is out of the NHL and back in Russia.

I'm not so sure I buy that. In 10 years has there ever been one bad word spoken about Ovie by anyone associated with the team? Former players (like Brouwer) ripped other guys on the team (like Semin) on their way out so you figure by now there would have been at least some negative musings about Ovie from former teammates, coaches, or management, but I'm not really aware of anything.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Trotz may not be wrong. I suspect there's some truth to what he's saying. The fact that he's saying these things now adds to the weight of his words.

We don't have far to look for past precedent. It happened a little at the end of Hanlon's regime. It happened at the end of BB's time here. Same with Oates. All the guys who were fired prepared us for their departure by throwing some players under the bus and complaining about the stars in some way.

So this seems like the same kind of symptom to me. It may not be irreversible but it's part of an observed pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->