Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2021 #18

Who is the Sens #18 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside (potential vs floor), stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, age, etc

I always ask myself who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Players from the top-30 in 2020 who have graduated since (and still with the organization) :

Drake Batherson, Tim Stutzle, Josh Norris

Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2021

a) Tim Stutzle (53 GP)
b) Josh Norris (59 GP)

1- Jake Sanderson (95.0%)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
3- Erik Brännström (46.1%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6%)
5- Alex Formenton (53.2%)
6- Ridly Greig (43.8%)
7- Filip Gustavsson (43.6%)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (74.1%)
9- Egor Sokolov (51.2%)
10- Mads Søgaard (58.7%)
11- Logan Brown (50.0%)
12- Roby Järventie (52.8%)
13- Tyler Kleven (44.9%)
14- Lassi Thomson (54.3%)
15- Leevi Merilainen (71.4%)
16- Zack Ostapchuk (42.9%)
17- Angus Crookshank (69.7%)
18-
19-
20-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

However, this year there will be 2 exceptions to AVOID massive turmoil. Like SensBrawler said to me "It's a weird situation due to the shortened season. In most years, they would have easily graduated."

So Tim Stutzle (53 GP) and Josh Norris (59 GP) are going to be considered graduated. The panel of Sens prospect polls experts think that the majority of people would still consider Brannstrom as a prospect, even though he has more games than them (63 GP), so he's going to be among options.

To be added next (ask to add if you intend to vote a prospect soon) :

Cole Reinhardt
Mark Kastelic
Jonathan Aspirot
Chandler Romeo
Jakov Novak
Jonny Tychonick
Eric Engstrand
Luke Loheit

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I have a weird feeling that Daoust is gonna be a player. Nothing behind that statement more than a vibe.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mandolese seems to have fallen in fan perspective.

Not sure what makes you say that?

16- Zack Ostapchuk : our most recent 2nd round pick (39th OA), seems to have a nice skillset, they felt confident enough to pick him there... Look at our recent picks from around that spot (Jarventie, Kleven, Pinto, Sogaard), it's another pick that could turn into a legit prospect

17- Angus Crookshank : a guy that has been underrated for a while. He constantly improved during his college years but his stats were not impressive so he got overlooked. He came to the AHL and almost went PPG right away. Coach seemed really high on him

So we're voting for the 18th spot now and there's still several good candidates, including another recent 2nd round pick in Ben Roger. There's also Vitali Abramov who has a top-6 skillset, he's not voted in yet because he's gone to the KHL for probably 2 years. There's this new guy Oliver Johansson that we picked in the 3rd and is also an intriguing pick.

And the one I voted, Philippe Daoust, who I believe would have "broke out" in a more significant way if it wasn't for covid. I think he'll be one of the biggest risers this year.

Arguments could also be made for others. Mandolese is not being voted yet not because he is dropping but because the pool is still stacked

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I am literally the only one who voted for him last round.

Cuz i have the same feeling about Crookshank so i voted him first lol. Had voted for Angus like 3 polls in a row, if he had won earlier, then woulda been on the Daoust train

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
The choices are too hard and my viewings are too few at this point for me to vote. It's been like that for quite a few polls for me. That being said, I appreciate the people that do vote and most of all @Xspyrit for running the polls.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Not sure what makes you say that?

16- Zack Ostapchuk : our most recent 2nd round pick (39th OA), seems to have a nice skillset, they felt confident enough to pick him there... Look at our recent picks from around that spot (Jarventie, Kleven, Pinto, Sogaard), it's another pick that could turn into a legit prospect

17- Angus Crookshank : a guy that has been underrated for a while. He constantly improved during his college years but his stats were not impressive so he got overlooked. He came to the AHL and almost went PPG right away. Coach seemed really high on him

So we're voting for the 18th spot now and there's still several good candidates, including another recent 2nd round pick in Ben Roger. There's also Vitali Abramov who has a top-6 skillset, he's not voted in yet because he's gone to the KHL for probably 2 years. There's this new guy Oliver Johansson that we picked in the 3rd and is also an intriguing pick.

And the one I voted, Philippe Daoust, who I believe would have "broke out" in a more significant way if it wasn't for covid. I think he'll be one of the biggest risers this year.

Arguments could also be made for others. Mandolese is not being voted yet not because he is dropping but because the pool is still stacked
I had him in similar company to Sogaard after last season, but he seems to have dropped. Might just be my perspective. Mando was arguably the top starter in the Q in his big season. Sogaard in the WHL was near the top for a couple years but not right at the very top. I assume WHL is a slightly better league for competition, but on paper at least they look pretty close.

Its just stat watching though. My viewings are limited but i assume everyone else voting is in the same boat.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I had him in similar company to Sogaard after last season, but he seems to have dropped. Might just be my perspective. Mando was arguably the top starter in the Q in his big season. Sogaard in the WHL was near the top for a couple years but not right at the very top. I assume WHL is a slightly better league for competition, but on paper at least they look pretty close.

Its just stat watching though. My viewings are limited but i assume everyone else voting is in the same boat.

I see. Mandolese is not a bad goalie prospect at all. For the record, I watched him closely in the 2018 rookie tournament and I liked him better than Gustavsson. But it's just one tournament and I have never been really that high on Gustavsson, until last season where he looked like an evolved goaltender. And yeah, Mando was pretty damn good in his last Q season.

But Mandolese was never as good a prospect as Sogaard. But not surprised, many people haven't realized Sogaard's potential yet. I think his AHL career start gave them a better idea.

I know "stat watching" is going to influence these polls on non-NHL players but there's the AHL games, international events, junior games (personally I follow the Q more) various scouting reports/interviews on the internet. You could even take in consideration what people who watch them regularly have to say. To me it's the synthetization of all you have seen/read/heard about a prospect who give you a "synthesized scouting report"

If you have not at least seen a prospect play a bit, I admit it's very hard to get a real "feeling" on a guy. The first thing I look for in a prospect is the raw ability, which is a bit why I think he could be a mistake to think that Logan Brown and Vitali Abramov are "never going to play" in the NHL again.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I see. Mandolese is not a bad goalie prospect at all. For the record, I watched him closely in the 2018 rookie tournament and I liked him better than Gustavsson. But it's just one tournament and I have never been really that high on Gustavsson, until last season where he looked like an evolved goaltender. And yeah, Mando was pretty damn good in his last Q season.

But Mandolese was never as good a prospect as Sogaard. But not surprised, many people haven't realized Sogaard's potential yet. I think his AHL career start gave them a better idea.

I know "stat watching" is going to influence these polls on non-NHL players but there's the AHL games, international events, junior games (personally I follow the Q more) various scouting reports/interviews on the internet. You could even take in consideration what people who watch them regularly have to say. To me it's the synthetization of all you have seen/read/heard about a prospect who give you a "synthesized scouting report"

If you have not at least seen a prospect play a bit, I admit it's very hard to get a real "feeling" on a guy. The first thing I look for in a prospect is the raw ability, which is a bit why I think he could be a mistake to think that Logan Brown and Vitali Abramov are "never going to play" in the NHL again.
We'll see how it all shakes out, but I think these two are going to be a tight battle for games in Belleville.

Reactions: Xspyrit

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Carson Latimer, he is Formenton fast and pays the price to score, seems to have a good read of the game. Could end up being a steal relative to where he was picked (and currently ranked on this poll).

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad