Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #26

Who is the Sens #26 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1- Tim Stuetzle (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Jake Sanderson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #7)
8- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #8)
9- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #9)
10- Ridly Greig (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #10)
11- Roby Jarventie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #11)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #12)
13- Vitali Abramov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #13)
14- Joey Daccord (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #14 TIE BREAK)
15- Lassi Thomson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #15)
16- Egor Sokolov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #16)
17- Tyler Kleven (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #17)
18- Filip Chlapik (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #18)
19- Mads Søgaard (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #19)
20- Filip Gustavsson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #20)
21- Max Lajoie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #21)
22- Kevin Mandolese (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #22)
23- Angus Crookshank (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #23)
24- Maxence Guénette (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #24)
25- Jonathan Davidsson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #25)
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-

Prospects to be added :

Jonathan Aspirot
Eric Engstrand
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Olle Alsing
Cole Reinhardt
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

I have removed prospects who graduated recently (Jaros, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul, Zub), were traded (Gruden) or not qualified (Hawryluk, Englund)

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Try to do some research on the kids, particularly the new ones. People can post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I bet Mark Kastelic makes the Ottawa team before half the guys ahead of him, he seems to play a style that DJ & the coaching staff like plus he is pretty damn good in the faceoff circle, tough & good defensively. Could be a decent 4th line centre, especially if they would like to build a 4th line like Capuano had with the NYI.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I feel like Aspirot has a good shot of the kids left. He played a pretty big role in Belleville last year. I wouldn't be shocked to see him move up the charts this season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How long before Kleven moves up a number of spots ahead of guys with no future on this team?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How long before Kleven moves up a number of spots ahead of guys with no future on this team?

Please identify these guys. If not, it's an easy shot in the dark

But agreed, Kleven was initially underrated because of underwhelming stats and reports that he is unidimensional (physical stay at home, can't handle the puck ala Englund)

I don't see any guys in the top-9 "bust" except maybe Logan Brown. They should all be decent to good/great NHL players. That's of course if no injury derail anything

And if Logan Brown "bust" it could only be because of a lack of fire inside. Look at the plays he consistently makes in the AHL and NHL, he has crazy talent. He always was a long term project boom/bust so he is still a very valuable prospect to have. No team would give up early on a guy like that. Last time he played he was still 21 y/o

So I don't see Kleven being a more valuable prospect than anyone in the top-9

10- Ridly Greig
11- Roby Jarventie
12- Rudolfs Balcers
13- Vitali Abramov
14- Joey Daccord
15- Lassi Thomson
16- Egor Sokolov
17- Tyler Kleven

Greig and Jarventie were picked before Kleven and Jarventie certaily looks promising considering what he is able to do in a top euro league as a 18 y/o. Greig hasn't had the chance to play but could be on team Canada for the WJC, which is no small feat. Also plays a very transferable game to the next level(s)?

Then you have Balcers and Abramov who are older but already proven at the pro level. Abramov was a beast in junior and a top prospect for Columbus before being acquired. Showed very well in his 2nd pro season. Balcers has defied the odds all the way and was also a Sharks top prospect before being acquired. He showed some very good things in 2018-19 and his injury last year is what held him back.

Daccord is another guy that defied the odds, drafted as a 7th round pick. He has gotten better and better every year. He was Elite in college 2 years ago and then looked really good in the AHL last year. He has strong arguments to be voted above Kleven.

Kleven should be ahead of Thomson and Sokolov.

Thomson was a 19th OA pick just 1 draft ago but his play since the last WJC made him drop down the ranking. It's up to him to "rise up again" once he gets to Belleville. He'll have to prove himself now

Sokolov was a late 2nd and overager. He's an intriguing pick because of his skillset and if his skating has really improved that much, he's actually a guy that could "rise" as well. Until then, Kleven should be above.

Kleven was a mid 2nd round pick in the last draft but hard to see him more than #15 currently. This is not a slight against him at all, like I have been saying for a while, this pool is batshit crazy.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

But agreed, Kleven was initially underrated because of underwhelming stats and reports that he is unidimensional (physical stay at home, can't handle the puck ala Englund)

I don't see any guys in the top-9 "bust" except maybe Logan Brown. They should all be decent to good/great NHL players. That's of course if no injury derail anything

And if Logan Brown "bust" it could only be because of a lack of fire inside. Look at the plays he consistently makes in the AHL and NHL, he has crazy talent. He always was a long term project boom/bust so he is still a very valuable prospect to have. No team would give up early on a guy like that. Last time he played he was still 21 y/o

10- Ridly Greig
11- Roby Jarventie
12- Rudolfs Balcers
13- Vitali Abramov
14- Joey Daccord
15- Lassi Thomson
16- Egor Sokolov
17- Tyler Kleven

Greig and Jarventie were picked before Kleven and Jarventie certaily looks promising considering what he is able to do in a top euro league as a 18 y/o. Greig hasn't had the chance to play but could be on team Canada for the WJC, which is no small feat. Also plays a very transferable game to the next level(s)?

Then you have Balcers and Abramov who are older but already proven at the pro level. Abramov was a beast in junior and a top prospect for Columbus before being acquired. Showed very well in his 2nd pro season. Balcers has defied the odds all the way and was also a Sharks top prospect before being acquired. He showed some very good things in 2018-19 and his injury last year is what held him back.

Daccord is another guy that defied the odds, drafted as a 7th round pick. He has gotten better and better every year. He was Elite in college 2 years ago and then looked really good in the AHL last year. He has strong arguments to be voted above Kleven.

Thomson was a 19th OA pick just 1 draft ago but his play since the last WJC made him drop down the ranking. It's up to him to "rise up again" once he gets to Belleville. He'll have to prove himself now

Sokolov was a late 2nd and overager. He's an intriguing pick because of his skillset and if his skating has really improved that much, he's actually a guy that could "rise" as well. Until then, Kleven should be above.

Kleven was a mid 2nd round pick in the last draft but hard to see him more than #15 currently. This is not a slight against him at all, like I have been saying for a while, this pool is batshit crazy.

Kleven is taller than:
Greig
Jarventie
Ballers
Abramov
Daccord
Thomson
= Sokoloff

So that's who will be ranked lower. To answer your question.

Reactions: bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

10- Ridly Greig
11- Roby Jarventie
12- Rudolfs Balcers
13- Vitali Abramov
14- Joey Daccord
15- Lassi Thomson
16- Egor Sokolov
17- Tyler Kleven

I've identified these guys numerous times. I don't see room on LW for either Balcers or Abramov on a future team & I think Ottawa could draft a better RD in the 2021 draft than Thomson. I'm also not a fan of Brannstrom.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I've identified these guys numerous times. I don't see room on LW for either Balcers or Abramov on a future team & I think Ottawa could draft a better RD in the 2021 draft than Thomson. I'm also not a fan of Brannstrom.

Well, I don't read all posts and don't remember everything said by every poster. I do remember you were not high on Brannstrom and Balcers though

Abramov is RW. Also don't see Balcers not able to play RW. But even if they end up playing for another team, we are not ranking these guys by their likeliness to play for the Ottawa Senators, we are ranking them as NHL prospects and how we project them to be a the NHL level.

Same thing with Brannstrom, even if you're not a fan, where do you rank him? These rankings are not based on how much we like these guys or not. I suppose you don't see a lt of success for EB at the NHL level.

Ok for Thomson, we might draft a better RD very soon but he is a Sens prospect now, he needs to be ranked. Do you have Kleven above him?

Everybody will have a different ranking and it's perfectly fine. I was simply asking how you would rank them based on the statement you made.

Does it look like this?

11- Joey Daccord
12- Egor Sokolov
13- Tyler Kleven
14- Erik Brannstrom
15- Rudolfs Balcers
16- Vitali Abramov
17- Lassi Thomson

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

There's room on the top-6; but that's all dependent if they can achieve that next step.
Formenton will be better as a bottom-6 player/PK guy.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Possible, but I liked what I saw from Abramov offensively in the NHL; haven't seen Formenton in the big leagues yet.
You don t see Formenton play at the time with Boucher , when he play 9 games before back in junior

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Possible, but I liked what I saw from Abramov offensively in the NHL; haven't seen Formenton in the big leagues yet.
I think he had a game in 2017-18 and 9 games in 2018-19.. Abramov is good from the faceoff circles in.. quick and has a nose for the net.. grant you that but Formenton's size and speed will put him ahead. His offense showed good signs of development last year as well.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You don t see Formenton play at the time with Boucher , when he play 9 games before back in junior

I did. He was fast. I liked what I saw from Abramov more offensively .Granted I don't know how either will play this upcoming season. I'm just saying I wouldn't count Abramov out yet.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well, I don't read all posts and don't remember everything said by every poster. I do remember you were not high on Brannstrom and Balcers though

Abramov is RW. Also don't see Balcers not able to play RW. But even if they end up playing for another team, we are not ranking these guys by their likeliness to play for the Ottawa Senators, we are ranking them as NHL prospects and how we project them to be a the NHL level.

Same thing with Brannstrom, even if you're not a fan, where do you rank him? These rankings are not based on how much we like these guys or not. I suppose you don't see a lt of success for EB at the NHL level.

Ok for Thomson, we might draft a better RD very soon but he is a Sens prospect now, he needs to be ranked. Do you have Kleven above him?

Everybody will have a different ranking and it's perfectly fine. I was simply asking how you would rank them based on the statement you made.

Does it look like this?

11- Joey Daccord
12- Egor Sokolov
13- Tyler Kleven
14- Erik Brannstrom
15- Rudolfs Balcers
16- Vitali Abramov
17- Lassi Thomson

Yep, that is probably closer to how it could turn out & Pinto ahead of Formenton since he can also play centre. BTW Abramov is a left shot, but plays right wing, his off wing, I imagine he can play either side though. I also think these guys will have the same problems they have here with any other team, I don't see them having long NHL careers with the exception of maybe Brannstrom who the GM has high hopes for & paid a big price for.

There's room on the top-6; but that's all dependent if they can achieve that next step.
Formenton will be better as a bottom-6 player/PK guy.

Is there? Would you say Tkachuk is ahead of Abramov & likely won't be replaced in the top six by Abramov or Balcers? I would. What about Stuetzle, do you think he will get more of a shot at LW than Abramov or Balcers being a 3rd overall pick? I do. Do you see Abramov or Balcers playing in the bottom six? I don't, at least not long term, maybe this yr while their prospects continue their development.

What about the right side? Dadonov will most likely take up one of those top six forward spots either on LW or most likely RW with Tkachuk on the other side & he's signed for 3 yrs. Then there is C. Brown also signed for 3 yrs & I doubt Abramov & Balcers can beat out either of these two veterans, btw DJ loves C. Brown. And then there is Batherson who had a great stint in Belleville & looks poised to become a very good NHL player with size & some grit. Watson IMO was signed to be the new enforcer for this team on the 4th line RW spot for 2 yrs. I even think Pinto is ahead of both of them when he gets here. Where would either Balcers & Abramov play or who can they beat out exactly over the next few yrs?

Now let's look at Formenton who played 10 more games last yr in Belleville than Abramov & had more pts because of it, but not that much more. However, he is bigger, tougher, faster & seems to play a style than DJ Smith & the coaching staff are preaching & IMO they will most definitely play him on the PK, as you said. Can Abramov or Balcers play on the PK & how are they defensively, can they take guys out, can they block shots?

Do you see Abramov or Balcers playing on the 4th line? I don't. We know what kind of a 4th line Capuano likes, we saw it with the NYI when he had one of the best & toughest 4th lines in the NHL. Both these coaches like a tough team & these two don't fit that style IMO. Paul seems to have the coaches trust now as a good defensive player & can take faceoffs & drop the gloves & so can Kastelic when he eventually gets called up. There is so much more to playing in the NHL & a team having success than just scoring goals. Like I said, I doubt there is any room on any future team for either Balcers or Abramov, at least not in Ottawa IMO, although this would be the yr, if they are going to show anything, now would be the time. I count 12 forwards ahead of them before the 2021 draft.

Tkachuk - Dadonov
Stuetzle - C. Brown
Galchenyuk - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto
Paul - Watson
Jarventi - Sokolov

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yep, that is probably closer to how it could turn out & Pinto ahead of Formenton since he can also play centre. BTW Abramov is a left shot, but plays right wing, his off wing, I imagine he can play either side though. I also think these guys will have the same problems they have here with any other team, I don't see them having long NHL careers with the exception of maybe Brannstrom who the GM has high hopes for & paid a big price for.

Yeah many wingers can play both wings. Have to be versatile as much as possible because making the NHL is not easy. Depends, a guy like Tkachuk doesn't need to because he will force a team's hand to make space for him.

It's getting hard to not get even higher on Pinto these days. He brings a lot to the table. The thing is Formenton does too

Abramov not super high on him, I don't think he'll be with the Sens long term but he does have things to offer. He will get a few chances in the NHL, maybe he sticks on a team a few years

Balcers, I can't see him not having a decent career. I see him as having something similar to Vladimir Namestnikov

Brannstrom is a surefire NHLer. He turned 20 y/o just before training camp last year, he was almost PPG in the AHL and didn't look out of place in the NHL, and looked quite competent in his 2nd stint. He has everything except size. Good skater, great passer, great vision and smarts, puck skills, defensive awareness, pace, poise. He reminds me a lot about Tobias Enstrom. The hope is that he'll be even better but if he can have a career like Toby, it's already pretty good.

Thomson, I have no idea as it's still early. At the moment he took a bust trajectory. He needs to come to NA and turn things around. He needs coaching and a big confidence search

That's how I'd see the top-20 in groupings of 5 :

Stuetzle, Sanderson, Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom
Formenton, Pinto, Brown, JBD, Jarventie
Greig, Balcers, Abramov, Kleven, Daccord
Sokolov, Thomson, Chlapik, Sogaard, Mandolese

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah many wingers can play both wings. Have to be versatile as much as possible because making the NHL is not easy. Depends, a guy like Tkachu doesn't need to because he will force a team's hand to make space for him.

It's getting hard to not get even higher on Pinto these days. He brings a lot to the table. The thing is Formenton does too

Abramov not super high on him, I don't think he'll be with the Sens long term but he does have things to offer. He will get a few chances in the NHL, maybe he sticks on a team a few years

Balcers, I can't see him not having a decent career. I see him as having something similar to Vladimir Namestnikov

Brannstrom is a surefire NHLer. He turned 20 y/o just before training camp last year, he was almost PPG in the AHL and didn't look out of place in the NHL, and looked quite competent in his 2nd stint. He has everything except size. Great skater, great passer, great vision and smarts, puck skills, defensive awareness, pace, poise. He reminds me a lot about Tobias Enstrom. The hope is that he'll be even better but if he can have a career like Toby, it's already pretty good.

Thomson, I have no idea as it's still early. At the moment he took a bust trajectory. He needs to come to NA and turn things around. He needs coaching and a big confidence search

Not a bad list & as good as any other. I'd place Pinto on the top group & Brannstrom in the 2nd only because of how highly the org values him. I'd place Balcers & Abramov in the last group & elevate Sokolov & maybe Thomson to the 3rd group. You have to hope that the Sens saw something is this guy to pick him in the 1st rd, but he has to start showing it soon. Chlapik needs to come to camp in shape & ready to make a difference this yr or he could be gone too. I like Mandolese, but want to see how he does this yr in the pros & know very little about Sogaard, not really sure why they selected him. Bonne journêe la.

Reactions: Xspyrit

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah many wingers can play both wings. Have to be versatile as much as possible because making the NHL is not easy. Depends, a guy like Tkachuk doesn't need to because he will force a team's hand to make space for him.

Brannstrom is a surefire NHLer. He turned 20 y/o just before training camp last year, he was almost PPG in the AHL and didn't look out of place in the NHL, and looked quite competent in his 2nd stint. He has everything except size. Great skater, great passer, great vision and smarts, puck skills, defensive awareness, pace, poise. He reminds me a lot about Tobias Enstrom. The hope is that he'll be even better but if he can have a career like Toby, it's already pretty good.

Looking at your list at the bottom, do you have Gustavsson as a bust?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Looking at your list at the bottom, do you have Gustavsson as a bust?

Not necessarily a bust but I'm looking at development curves/trajectories. He hasn't progressed a lot if at all since turning pro in NA. he looked promising in 2017-18 with the WJC and all but we are almost 3 years removed from that.

I'd probably have him #23 behind Guenette and Crookshank. He has to show strong improvement in the near future to rise back on the list (well, at least for me)

By the way, I have talked about this a lot but being a ~ #20 prospect in the Sens pool this year is NOT pejorative at all. We added a bunch of prospects from trades and picks aquired in trades. As the result, the pool is extremely deep.

This is the pool from the firesale :

1- Tim Stuetzle (EK)
4- Josh Norris (EK)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Stone)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Brassard)
10- Ridly Greig (Pageau)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (EK)
13- Vitali Abramov (Duchene)
15- Lassi Thomson (Duchene)
16- Egor Sokolov (Stone)
17- Tyler Kleven (Pageau + Sens 3rd in 2020)
19- Mads Søgaard (EK + Sens 3rd in 2019)
20- Filip Gustavsson (Brassard)
25- Jonathan Davidsson (Duchene)
26- Leevi Merilainen (EK)
27- Jonny Tychonick (Brassard)

This is the pool from the Sens original picks :

2- Jake Sanderson
3- Drake Batherson
6- Logan Brown
8- Alex Formenton (pick initially acquired for Curtis Lazar so Lazar ends up as a pretty good pick lol)
9- Shane Pinto
11- Roby Jarventie
14- Joey Daccord
18- Filip Chlapik
21- Max Lajoie
22- Kevin Mandolese
23- Angus Crookshank
24- Maxence Guénette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad