Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #20

Who is the Sens #20 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Final Ranking 2020

1- Tim Stuetzle (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Jake Sanderson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #7)
8- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #8)
9- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #9)
10- Ridly Greig (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #10)
11- Roby Jarventie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #11)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #12)
13- Vitali Abramov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #13)
14- Joey Daccord (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #14 TIE BREAK)
15- Lassi Thomson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #15)
16- Egor Sokolov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #16)
17- Tyler Kleven (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #17)
18- Filip Chlapik (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #18)
19- Mads Søgaard (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #19)
20-

Prospects to be added :

Parker Kelly
Mark Kastelic
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Eric Engstrand
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Olle Alsing
Cole Reinhardt
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

I have removed prospects who graduated recently (Jaros, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul, Zub), were traded (Gruden) or not qualified (Hawryluk, Englund)

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Try to do some research on the kids, particularly the new ones. People can post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Kinda surprised Gustvasson still has so many "believers". He hasn't progressed much, if at all, in 2 years. IMO, he has been passed by a lot of prospects, including a few left to be voted

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Kinda surprised Gustvasson still has so many "believers". He hasn't progressed much, if at all, in 2 years. IMO, he has been passed by a lot of prospects, including a few left to be voted

Gustavsson was able to string together 5 games at the AHL level where he was a high-end goalie. I think he has shown he has the tools. His mental game/consistency is the area that really needs work, but if he is able to master that end of the game (and, lets be fair, he's still very young), he should be able to have an NHL career. IMO, he's the only guy let who can still be a key piece. The odds are very slim, but the possibility cant be written off just yet.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gustavsson was able to string together 5 games at the AHL level where he was a high-end goalie. I think he has shown he has the tools. His mental game/consistency is the area that really needs work, but if he is able to master that end of the game (and, lets be fair, he's still very young), he should be able to have an NHL career. IMO, he's the only guy let who can still be a key piece. The odds are very slim, but the possibility cant be written off just yet.

I'm not writing him off, he has a very sound technique and reads plays well but he's "only" 6'2 and not super athletic/quick. I don't see him as a great "battler" (like Daccord for example). Sure he still has time ahead of him and goalies can always find a new gear and figure it out (goaltending coaching can really help) but as of now, I don't see him succeeding at the NHL level, and he still hasn't in the AHL. Daccord should easily be better once again.

I have written a more detailed post about it in the poll #19

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #19

I personally see more in Mandolese, and that started at the 2018 rookie tournament in Laval. Crookshank could be a very useful bottom-6 forward capable of scoring and very tenacious on the puck, Guenette has had a very interesting development curve so far, could still be a good D-man. I could understand if some still have faith in Lajoie. He just turned 23 y/o and has already shown good things in both the AHL and NHL. Daoust turned 19 y/o on November 5th too and could emerge as a legit prospect

So I disagree about "he's the only guy let who can still be a key piece". We have had many prospects ranked low in the past that eventually progressed a lot to become good/key players (Stone, Dzingel, Hoffman, Pageau, etc). I know chances are low among the names left and mostly because scouting has evolved and the information on prospects is more available than ever; but who knows if Merilainen (for example) doesn't end up as the best goalie in the bunch? Or if Daoust break out and becomes a significant prospect?

See what happened in the past vs our board's polls

Ex :

2006 : In a top-20, Elliott was 17th, Gryba 19th, Regin 20th. the 3 best players outside of Foligno
2011 : In a top-40, Dzingel was 38th, Stone 17th, Hoffman 18th, Pageau 23rd

Reactions: Ed Wood

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Why are we ignoring the fact that Gustavsson is currently having a good season in Europe?

14gp, 2.20 GAA and .925 SV%

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why are we ignoring the fact that Gustavsson is currently having a good season in Europe?

Not knocking Gus but that is a lesser league than the AHL. I agree with SEOD's point... The quality of league these guys are playing/succeeding in seems to be ignored here often.

Reactions: Emerica

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'm not writing him off, he has a very sound technique and reads plays well but he's "only" 6'2 and not super athletic/quick. I don't see him as a great "battler" (like Daccord for example). Sure he still has time ahead of him and goalies can always find a new gear and figure it out (goaltending coaching can really help) but as of now, I don't see him succeeding at the NHL level, and he still hasn't in the AHL. Daccord should easily be better once again.

I have written a more detailed post about it in the poll #19

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #19

I personally see more in Mandolese, and that started at the 2018 rookie tournament in Laval. Crookshank could be a very useful bottom-6 forward capable of scoring and very tenacious on the puck, Guenette has had a very interesting development curve so far, could still be a good D-man. I could understand if some still have faith in Lajoie. He just turned 23 y/o and has already shown good things in both the AHL and NHL. Daoust turned 19 y/o on November 5th too and could emerge as a legit prospect

So I disagree about "he's the only guy let who can still be a key piece". We have had many prospects ranked low in the past that eventually progressed a lot to become good/key players (Stone, Dzingel, Hoffman, Pageau, etc). I know chances are low among the names left and mostly because scouting has evolved and the information on prospects is more available than ever; but who knows if Merilainen (for example) doesn't end up as the best goalie in the bunch? Or if Daoust break out and becomes a significant prospect?

See what happened in the past vs our board's polls

Ex :

2006 : In a top-20, Elliott was 17th, Gryba 19th, Regin 20th. the 3 best players outside of Foligno
2011 : In a top-40, Dzingel was 38th, Stone 17th, Hoffman 18th, Pageau 23rd

Not disagreeing with any of your post, absolutely anyone could become a key guy. I just think Gustavsson is the most projectable in terms of skillset. I believe of all the guys mentioned (goalies aside), you are looking at bottom 6 guys. Sure, maybe one of the guys could break out or add a component to their game that takes them to the top of the lineup, but I don't see anything in any of these guys that suggests they could be more than support players. Gustavsson, imo, could still be a 40-50 game starter. Merilainen could end up being excellent, but I really know nothing about him. I like Mandolese but I think he has less room to grow. He's very good positionally already, which is an advantage, but also an area he can improve on less than Gus imo. Gus has reflexes and athletic abilites that imo are on a different level. Positioning, rebound control, and not giving up any easy goals are areas that will need huge improvement, but I think a lot of his struggles are mental and issues of maturity; I dont think his skillset is holding him back, in fact I think he has underperformed his skillset thus far by quite a bit.

I had Lajoie as a #6D before his injuries, and his play since then has made me doubt that he can be more than a tweener; Davidsson might be getting underrated, but he's a 3/4 RW at best imo, and could end up back in Europe before too long; Guenette seems to have some good tools and possibly could be a solid bottom pair guy, but I dont think he will do anything exceptionally at the NHL level; Crookshank I do like a lot for a guy drafted that late, but I dont see any standout skills that will put him above the 3rd line, maybe with some PK time; Daoust, I could see developing a good pro style game and contributing but, again, I don't think it will be as more than a bottom liner; Tychonick could still salvage a spot, and his skillset is arguably the best remaining but time is running out quickly.

All those factors, for me, put Gus ahead. I have no issues with voting any of these remaining guys ahead of Gustavsson, but I also see why one would have Gustavsson ahead of them. There is no clear best option, but Gus has the most prestige and imo the most raw talent of anyone remaining.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Not knocking Gus but that is a lesser league than the AHL. I agree with SEOD's point... The quality of league these guys are playing/succeeding in seems to be ignored here often.

Sure, but I bet if he was playing poorly, some people would knock him for not being able to compete in a "lesser league". At least he is doing what is expected and it is way too soon to make judgment on his future status as an NHL goalie.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not disagreeing with any of your post, absolutely anyone could become a key guy. I just think Gustavsson is the most projectable in terms of skillset. I believe of all the guys mentioned (goalies aside), you are looking at bottom 6 guys. Sure, maybe one of the guys could break out or add a component to their game that takes them to the top of the lineup, but I don't see anything in any of these guys that suggests they could be more than support players. Gustavsson, imo, could still be a 40-50 game starter. Merilainen could end up being excellent, but I really know nothing about him. I like Mandolese but I think he has less room to grow. He's very good positionally already, which is an advantage, but also an area he can improve on less than Gus imo. Gus has reflexes and athletic abilites that imo are on a different level. Positioning, rebound control, and not giving up any easy goals are areas that will need huge improvement, but I think a lot of his struggles are mental and issues of maturity; I dont think his skillset is holding him back, in fact I think he has underperformed his skillset thus far by quite a bit.

I had Lajoie as a #6D before his injuries, and his play since then has made me doubt that he can be more than a tweener; Davidsson might be getting underrated, but he's a 3/4 RW at best imo, and could end up back in Europe before too long; Guenette seems to have some good tools and possibly could be a solid bottom pair guy, but I dont think he will do anything exceptionally at the NHL level; Crookshank I do like a lot for a guy drafted that late, but I dont see any standout skills that will put him above the 3rd line, maybe with some PK time; Daoust, I could see developing a good pro style game and contributing but, again, I don't think it will be as more than a bottom liner; Tychonick could still salvage a spot, and his skillset is arguably the best remaining but time is running out quickly.

All those factors, for me, put Gus ahead. I have no issues with voting any of these remaining guys ahead of Gustavsson, but I also see why one would have Gustavsson ahead of them. There is no clear best option, but Gus has the most prestige and imo the most raw talent of anyone remaining.

No of course, no one has done anything extraordinary to be a clear cut above others. It's a matter of preference and belief. Gustvasson has by far the "biggest name" among those left though so I think it's a factor that gets him votes.

I'm also among those who believe good/great bottom-6 players are very useful to the success of a hockey team, so I see guys like Pageau, Connor Brown and Nick Paul as important players.

At this point, I simply don't see Gus succeeding enough at the NHL level to vote him above guys that might be useful bottom-6 or bottom-4 contributors, and that's why I have Crookshank, Guenette and Mandolese above him. Like I said at the beginning, kinda surprised Gustvasson still has so many "believers"

I could be totally wrong on him.

Gustavsson was already good in Sweden before coming to NA. That has never been the problem with him. It's that he still hasn't found a lot of success in pro NA hockey. He's also playing in the league where Jonathan Dahlen is the best offensive player.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No of course, no one has done anything extraordinary to be a clear cut above others. It's a matter of preference and belief. Gustvasson has by far the "biggest name" among those left though so I think it's a factor that gets him votes.

I'm also among those who believe good/great bottom-6 players are very useful to the success of a hockey team, so I see guys like Pageau, Connor Brown and Nick Paul as important players.

At this point, I simply don't see Gus succeeding enough at the NHL level to vote him above guys that might be useful bottom-6 or bottom-4 contributors, and that's why I have Crookshank, Guenette and Mandolese above him. Like I said at the beginning, kinda surprised Gustvasson still has so many "believers"

I could be totally wrong on him.

Yeah, definitely fair, and if I believed strongly in any one of these guys becoming a Pageau, Brown, or Paul, I'd probably have them ahead of Gus, too... I'm just not confident in any one particular guy to achieve that. I'll put it this way, I think there is the biggest gap between 19 & 20 than there was since 11 & 12.

Gustavsson was already good in Sweden before coming to NA. That has never been the problem with him. It's that he still hasn't found a lot of success in pro NA hockey. He's also playing in the league where Jonathan Dahlen is the best offensive player.
Yeah, its important to note, as @Sens of Anarchy mentioned above, that Gustavsson's success is coming in the league below the SHL - a league where he already played 43 games at 2.31GAA and .915SVP between the ages of 17-20. Allsvenskan is not an easy league, but its the 3rd toughest one he's played in by a pretty large margin. I don't know how that goes for goaltending - you always hear its harder to play goal in the ECHL than the AHL because of the lack of structure, so it could be a scenario like that - but the level of competition has to be taken into account.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, its important to note, as @Sens of Anarchy mentioned above, that Gustavsson's success is coming in the league below the SHL - a league where he already played 43 games at 2.31GAA and .915SVP between the ages of 17-20. Allsvenskan is not an easy league, but its the 3rd toughest one he's played in by a pretty large margin. I don't know how that goes for goaltending - you always hear its harder to play goal in the ECHL than the AHL because of the lack of structure, so it could be a scenario like that - but the level of competition has to be taken into account.

And this right here is why goalies are voodoo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad