Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #19

Who is the Sens #19 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Final Ranking 2020

1- Tim Stuetzle (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Jake Sanderson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #7)
8- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #8)
9- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #9)
10- Ridly Greig (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #10)
11- Roby Jarventie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #11)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #12)
13- Vitali Abramov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #13)
14- Joey Daccord (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #14 TIE BREAK)
15- Lassi Thomson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #15)
16- Egor Sokolov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #16)
17- Tyler Kleven (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #17)
18- Filip Chlapik (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #18)
19-
20-

Prospects to be added :

Parker Kelly
Mark Kastelic
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Leevi Merilainen
Eric Engstrand
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Olle Alsing
Cole Reinhardt
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

I have removed prospects who graduated recently (Jaros, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul, Zub), were traded (Gruden) or not qualified (Hawryluk, Englund)

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Try to do some research on the kids, particularly the new ones. People can post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Is it concerning that our best goalie prospect is #14 and 24 years old with under 25 AHL games under his belt?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Is it concerning that our best goalie prospect is #14 and 24 years old with under 25 AHL games under his belt?

No

AHL & NHL Sens haven't played in 9 months, so impossible for any prospect to graduate or get closer to the NHL

Daccord was 23 last time he played

He was a 7th round pick so the road to the NHL was always going to be a long one. Spent 3 seasons in the NCAA

Goalies usually graduate at a later age than skaters. He only has 1 pro season that was cut short by a pandemic

Sogaard, Mandolese, Merilainen and even Gustavsson are all still quite young for goalies.

Finally, being #14 in this pool is actually pretty good. He's been voted above the 19th OA pick last year and recent 2nd round picks. Being a better prospect than the first 13 guys is not some kind of easy feat

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

He might be #14 right now but he is ranked higher in my list and he is going to be a solid starter for us:

1. Stuetzle
2. Norris
3. Sanderson
4. Batherson
5. Brannstrom
6. L. Brown
7. Pinto/Formenton
8. Formenton/Pinto
9. Bernard-Docker
10. Jarventie
11. Greig
12. Daccord

He is not a blue chip goalie prospect that gets ranked in the top 10 but his age goes against him in these type of rankings (the cut off is 25 I think?), otherwise he would be higher in a couple years, because goalies are late bloomers in general (unless a 1st round pick type).

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
I think it's patently wrong to have Sogaard ahead of Gustavsson. Sogaard is coming off of a pretty "meh" year in junior. While I like his upside, I like Gus' upside even more so. That combined with the fact that Gus was more impressive at Sogaard's age just feels like not picking Gus here is disrespectful.

If he's given the opportunity, I genuinely believe this is going to be a big year coming up for Gus to break out in Belleville. I expect to see him a lot higher on this list next year.

Reactions: NB613

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think it's patently wrong to have Sogaard ahead of Gustavsson. Sogaard is coming off of a pretty "meh" year in junior. While I like his upside, I like Gus' upside even more so. That combined with the fact that Gus was more impressive at Sogaard's age just feels like not picking Gus here is disrespectful.

If he's given the opportunity, I genuinely believe this is going to be a big year coming up for Gus to break out in Belleville. I expect to see him a lot higher on this list next year.

It's basically an intra-team re-draft. In the end, it's all about projection.

Personally, I have more faith in Sogaard becoming better. He is a monster at 6'7 but it's not only size, it's that he is very athletic which is usually a very good combination. But has to stay healthy. Seriously, it's very hard to predict how a goalie will turn out at the NHL level but that guy could be some kind of Pekka Rinne if he booms.

Gustavsson ("only" 6'2) is very technical and has a sound technique but seems to rely too much on it. Goaltending isn't just being at the right position at the right time, not at the NHL level. At some point, the puck won't always "hit you". You need lightning quick reflexes, quick lateral movement (athlecism) and a great sense of anticipation and above average spatial awareness. But above everything, you need to be a battler. Even Carey Price who probably has the greatest technique among goalies, he struggles when he is not battling. When he is "battling", he's one of the best.

To be honest, I even started developping more faith in Kevin Mandolese (that just got drafted) at the 2018 rookie tournament... and it has just built up that way since.

I just don't see FG's game translate that great in the 2 world's best leagues and so far it has been the case. Until I see Sogaard play his first 2 seasons in the AHL and until he fails, I'll have him ahead of FG

I'm not saying that it's impossible that FG ends up good in the NHL because he certainly has the fundamentals but at the moment, my faith is lower than Daccord, Sogaard and Mandolese. He needs to start being better at the AHL level if he doesn't want to be eventually leapfrogged by Merilainen

Daccord should be higher .. no worries

Who do you vote him above in the top-13?

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Gustavsson is coming off two straight sub .890 SV% years in Belleville. He's been terrible.

Sogaard's numbers the past two years are far superior in a higher scoring league. Hard to keep GAAs below 3.00 and SV% above .900 in the CHL where team defenses are terrible.

Don't know what would give you the impression that Gustavsson has more upside than Sogaard - a 6'7 netminder with good athleticism.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd probably rank Gustavsson last out of all of our goalies, even Merilainen.

He doesn't have great tools and simply hasn't been good at stopping the puck the past two seasons.

I'm no expert on goalie prospects, but he really hasn't shown anything to suggest he's a #1 goalie in the making, besides a great 6 games at the WJC in 2018, where most of his hype seems to be coming from.

Shame we bought high on him in the Brassard deal, but Pittsburgh didn't have much else to offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad