Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #15

Who is the Sens #15 Prospect at the moment?

• Mads Søgaard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angus Crookshank

• Kevin Mandolese

• Filip Gustavsson

• Jonny Tychonick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Final Ranking 2020

1- Tim Stuetzle (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Jake Sanderson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #7)
8- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #8)
9- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #9)
10- Ridly Greig (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #10)
11- Roby Jarventie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #11)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #12)
13- Vitali Abramov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #13)
14- Joey Daccord (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #14 TIE BREAK)
15-

Prospects to be added :

Maxence Guénette
Philippe Daoust
Parker Kelly
Mark Kastelic
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Leevi Merilainen
Eric Engstrand
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Olle Alsing
Cole Reinhardt
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

I have removed prospects who graduated (Jaros, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul, Zub), were traded (Gruden) or not qualified (Hawryluk, Englund)

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Try to do some research on the kids, particularly the new ones. People can post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Some good options, but this has to be Thomson, he is without a doubt a top 15 prospect in this organization.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Some good options, but this has to be Thomson, he is without a doubt a top 15 prospect in this organization.

Based on what? Draft position? Shouldn't have been a 1st round pick to begin with.

He is struggling to earn ice time in the Finnish league right now in his 20YR old season.

It's a shame we signed him. Would take a 2021 2nd over him right now.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sokolov is a huge kid with great hands and shooting ability. Doesn't seem to have character, work ethic or defensive issues which often plague Russian scorers.

He could be a steal at the end of the 2nd if his skating continues to improve.

Reactions: Tuna99 and DrEasy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Based on what? Draft position? Shouldn't have been a 1st round pick to begin with.

He is struggling to earn ice time in the Finnish league right now in his 20YR old season.

It's a shame we signed him. Would take a 2021 2nd over him right now.

Only way would be only looking at draft position

Looking at play, he's been very bad for a year

Since when do we judge a young player based on one year of hockey? Of course draft position matters, as does his potential and he is still a player who I think will make the NHL and contribute.

Keep in mind we are picking #15 here...and this is my first Thomson vote. If where he was picked in the draft mattered, I would have voted for him way earlier, which I did not.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Since when do we judge a young player based on one year of hockey? Of course draft position matters, as does his potential and he is still a player who I think will make the NHL and contribute.

Keep in mind we are picking #15 here...and this is my first Thomson vote. If where he was picked in the draft mattered, I would have voted for him way earlier, which I did not.
I'm basing it on his lack of hockey sense resulting in bad decisions, resulting in his poor play. I don't see that improving, as it's not something easily improved, if at all.

Guys with little hockey sense rarely make an impact in the NHL

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

It's not even a year of hockey, it's a dozen game after a long pandemic break

There's a lot of posts repeating that he lacks hockey sense but according to a Finnish poster who seems to know what he is talking about, Thomson's defensive play has actually improved so the problem could just be based on the ice-time he gets. Personally, I won't write him off until I see him play in the AHL. It would be very premature otherwise.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not even a year of hockey, it's a dozen game after a long pandemic break

There's a lot of posts repeating that he lacks hockey sense but according to a Finnish poster who seems to know what he is talking about, Thomson's defensive play has actually improved so the problem could just be based on the ice-time he gets. Personally, I won't write him off until I see him play in the AHL. It would be very premature otherwise.

Until then... he gets your vote . If the jury is out , its out.. it works both ways. I think he is trending downward in his play and his icetime and role reflects that. I am ok with wait and see but until then I am not going to say he is better than players that are succeeding in tougher leagues or that are trending upwards and improving.

Reactions: BondraTime

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Until then... he gets your vote . If the jury is out , its out.. it works both ways. I think he is trending downward in his play and his icetime and role reflects that. I am ok with wait and see but until then I am not going to say he is better than players that are succeeding in tougher leagues or that are trending upwards and improving.

This board had no problem voting him #8 in July. Basically no hockey has been played since a long-time, outside of a few recent Liiga games where he gets less ice-time than veterans, which is typical in Europe. It's concerning if he gets less TOI than last year but it's not the end of the road for him. Sens will get him over to NA asap (well when the reality allows it)

Have you seen him play this year? I read a lot of "he is trending downward" but who has seen him play regularly? He averaged 15:34 TOI/GP last year so how much down is his ice-time this year?

We know that Valimaki was loaned to play on the same team, right? He's further ahead and is a better prospect so he has taken the role and is performing. Thomson would be in the AHL right now if there wasn't for covid so he wasn't even part of the plans. He's caught in a number's game with several "true" Ilves players and a better prospect also on loan ahead.

That being said, it sure feels like something is "wrong" with him. Is it confidence? Is it because he is trying to figure out some things in his game but can't put everything together (very comon for young players, some are never able to "put it all together"). Is he having off-ice problems? I don't know, we need to get him to NA, but as you know, there's no AHL right now.

This is what I wrote this summer :

There's no guarantee that Thomson figures the NHL game well enough to have a long career but still, chances are on his side at the moment. Like pretty much all young D-men, he'll have to work on his defensive game, something that can be improved with time and experience. Without above average hockey sense, he might never be able to be a 1st pairing D-man, but he can certainly be 2nd pairing if he learns the right way and optimize his NHL qualities. I see him starting on the 3rd pair eventually then work his way up. He's not even 20 y/o so time is on his side. As of now, he's still a pretty good prospect.

I don't think much has changed since July. You don't throw a young player under the bus over a short period of time. Thomson didn't suddenly develop "anti-hockey sense". I know a few posters have been repeating that he has zero hockey sense but while it wasn't supposed to be a strength, that's also not something scouts saw as a problem

If you listen to Trent Mann (see in links below), they picked Lassi for his offensive tools. So as long as they don't "Ceci" him, Thomson could still end up in a good/decent offensive D-man. Not every pick is going to be a homerun, sometimes you have to settle for "NHL player". If they picked him, they didn't feel strong enough about other players still available. 2019 is really not 2020. Looking at other possibilities in hindsight, I wish they would have been higher on someone else but it is what it is, might as well root for Lassi now.

Ottawa Senators: Recapping Lassi Thomson’s season in Finland

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This board had no problem voting him #8 in July. Basically no hockey has been played since a long-time, outside of a few recent Liiga games where he gets less ice-time than veterans, which is typical in Europe. It's concerning if he gets less TOI than last year but it's not the end of the road for him. Sens will get him over to NA asap (well when the reality allows it)

Have you seen him play this year? I read a lot of "he is trending downward" but who has seen him play regularly? He averaged 15:34 TOI/GP last year so how much down is his ice-time this year?

We know that Valimaki was loaned to play on the same team, right? He's further ahead and is a better prospect so he has taken the role and is performing. Thomson would be in the AHL right now if there wasn't for covid so he wasn't even part of the plans. He's caught in a number's game with several "true" Ilves players and a better prospect also on loan ahead.

That being said, it sure feels like something is "wrong" with him. Is it confidence? Is it because he is trying to figure out some things in his game but can't put everything together (very comon for young players, some are never able to "put it all together"). Is he having off-ice problems? I don't know, we need to get him to NA, but as you know, there's no AHL right now.

This is what I wrote this summer :

There's no guarantee that Thomson figures the NHL game well enough to have a long career but still, chances are on his side at the moment. Like pretty much all young D-men, he'll have to work on his defensive game, something that can be improved with time and experience. Without above average hockey sense, he might never be able to be a 1st pairing D-man, but he can certainly be 2nd pairing if he learns the right way and optimize his NHL qualities. I see him starting on the 3rd pair eventually then work his way up. He's not even 20 y/o so time is on his side. As of now, he's still a pretty good prospect.

I don't think much has changed since July. You don't throw a young player under the bus over a short period of time. Thomson didn't suddenly develop "anti-hockey sense". I know a few posters have been repeating that he has zero hockey sense but while it wasn't supposed to be a strength, that's also not something scouts saw as a problem

If you listen to Trent Mann (see in links below), they picked Lassi for his offensive tools. So as long as they don't "Ceci" him, Thomson could still end up in a good/decent offensive D-man. Not every pick is going to be a homerun, sometimes you have to settle for "NHL player". If they picked him, they didn't feel strong enough about other players still available. 2019 is really not 2020. Looking at other possibilities in hindsight, I wish they would have been higher on someone else but it is what it is, might as well root for Lassi now.

Ottawa Senators: Recapping Lassi Thomson’s season in Finland

His highest ice time was 14 mins this year, he's averaging 12, along with a healthy scratch.

It's not just vets getting more time than him, Hattaka (6th round pick) is a year younger and playing over him as well.

I've paid for 3 Ilves games (to watch Jarventie, to be fair) and Thomson looked bad in each one

Of course he can become a good player, much better than 15th prospect, but I'd never bet on someone I see struggling with decision making so often

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'm interested from one of the many who voted frmo him... what aspect of Thomsons skillset separates him from Kleven? I'm struggling to think of any area where there is significant separation

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

remember when Brian Lee made the USA WJC team and the coach didn’t know what to do with him, not good enough for PP, not good enough for PK and not doing anything 5 on 5. That’s where Thomson seems to be right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad