Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2019 (26th)

Who's #26?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2019

1. Drake Batherson (C/RW) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 48.7%
2. Erik Brannstrom (D) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 83.5%
3. Logan Brown (C) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 63.5%
4. Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) - University of North Dakota (NCAA) 31.8%
5. Lassi Thomson (D) - Kelowna Rockets (WHL) 49.4%
6. Josh Norris (C) - University of Michigan (NCAA) 40.5%
7. Christian Wolanin (D) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 58.3%
8. Alex Formenton (LW) - London Knights (OHL) 51.4%
9. Christian Jaros (D) - Ottawa Senators (NHL) 23.9% (Tiebreaker)
10. Rudolfs Balcers (LW) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 32.8%
11. Filip Gustavsson (G) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 25.4%
12. Vitaly Abramov (RW/LW) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 28.2%
13. Maxime Lajoie (D) - Ottawa Senators (NHL) 32.9%
14. Jonathan Davidsson (RW) - Djurgardens IF (SHL) 40.0%
15. Mads Sogaard (G) - Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) 32.0% (Tiebreaker)
16. Filip Chlapik (C) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 37.0%
17. Shane Pinto (C) - Tri City Storm (USHL) 35.2%
18. Marcus Hogberg (G) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 47.2%
19. Joey Daccord (G) - Arizona State University (NCAA) 27.1%
20. Jonny Tychonick (D) - University of North Dakota (NCAA) 33.3% (Tiebreaker)
21. Angus Crookshank (LW) - University of New Hampshire (NCAA) 70.3%
22. Max Veronneau (RW) - Princeton University (NCAA) 50.0%
23. Jonathan Gruden (LW) - Miami University of Ohio (NCAA) 42.4%
24. Nick Paul (LW) - Belleville Senators (AHL) 65.7%
25. Parker Kelly (C/LW) - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) 30.4%

cut.jpg

The poll will be open for 24 hours.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Getting really grim at this point. Of those 14 players, I'm not sure that the Sens will even get two dozen NHL games from them going forward. I'd say that the majority of them don't even have NHL potential.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I think you could have comfortably cut this off at 25.

Anyway, I voted for Carcone. He's a quality AHL player which may end up being the high-water mark for this particular group.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Getting really grim at this point. Of those 14 players, I'm not sure that the Sens will even get two dozen NHL games from them going forward. I'd say that the majority of them don't even have NHL potential.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I think you could have comfortably cut this off at 25.

Anyway, I voted for Carcone. He's a quality AHL player which may end up being the high-water mark for this particular group.

I'd agree for some but there's still several that we need to see what they're going to do this year before making any conclusion.

Olle Alsing is only 23 and looks intriguing, we have to see how he is going to adapt to NA but he looks like a less talented Brannstrom, today's D-man prototype. I'm not ruling him out of a future in the NHL yet, or at least before he has a chance to prove himself.

Michael Carcone is also 23 y/o, he needs to have a big season in the AHL to have his name in the mix as a future NHLer, but agreed, in the end he might just be a cup-of-coffee guy with a few teams, like a modern Ryan Shannon. Pretty confident he'll play some games with the Sens this year, when inevitable injuries occur.

Maxence Guenette is just 18 y/o, I know he was a 7th round pick, but this guy could develop well. He has the frame and tools to do so, we need a few years before making any conclusion but him becoming a legit prospect is totally possible. I like how this guy has progressed so far so a development curve ala Lajoie isn't out of the question.

Mark Kastelic is "already" 20 y/o but has progressed well in the WHL over the years, enough that he was projected in the 100's OA in the last draft. Sens took a flyer on him, hard to say what he might become at this point as these type of prospects are kinda hard to predict because they're late bloomers. Let's see what he does when he turns pro before declaring him a bust. The team has had successes with overagers lately, mainly Batherson and Wolanin.

Morgan Klimchuk is already 24 y/o so the clock is really ticking for him. With his skillset and hockey sense, it's hard to understand why he hasn't been able to make his mark in pro hockey yet. Had a very tough first year in the AHL but followed that with a neat progression. He could probably take a regular shift in the NHL right now but his future is totally uncertain. If you play the odds, might end up as another cup-of-coffee player but he should be in the Sens prospects ranking for one last time.

Kevin Mandolese is a NHL prospect too, turns 19 y/o tomorrow, is a goalie that has progressed steadily, really not the type you give up early on. I saw him play live a few times and like his potential.

Markus Nurmi just turned 21 y/o and hasn't transitioned to NA yet. He won't ever be a point producing forward but a defensive 4th line player is not out of the question. Still young and has time on his side but needs to come to NA if he wants to have a chance to crack a NHL roster.

Alsing, Guenette, Kastelic, Nurmi and Mandolese are still legit NHL prospects (although they have limited upside). Carcone, Klimchuk are not write-offs too, but most likely end up as cup-of-coffee players.

Viktor Lodin is 18 y/o, I know he was a controversial pick but we also have to wait a little to know what we have with him. Total unknown at this point.

EDIT : Forget this, Lodin is already 20 y/o.

Actually, the only guys that I'd agree have absolutely no future in the NHL are Burgess, Beaudin, Englund (Sens might not declare him a bust yet but hasn't progressed the way he should have in the AHL), Loheit, Novak and Sturtz. But even then, some people could make an argument for some of them.

We always have a "top-30" but what is different this year is the quality of the top-25, because of the 10 prospects that were directly a result of the firesale. We usually have ~15 great/good/decent prospects but 25 is totally unheard of, at least for me. You can totally make a legit top-30, don't see why it should be stopped at 25.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkwild and Deku

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Small nitpick but Lodin is 20

Damn really? Thought he was 18... In that case, this pick has a very slim chance to succeed and kinda understand more why people don't like this pick. If he was 18, he'd have more time to be a "late bloomer" and emerge as a legit prospect but time is already against him. He'd need to breakout in a major way. 2 years of development at that age is significant. We have seen many prospects failed before just because they lost 1 or 2 development years due to injuries.

Where did I see he was 18? Must be a mistake on some site

Ok so I'll count him out then, so overall Alsing, Guenette, Kastelic, Nurmi and Mandolese are legit NHL prospects for now (although it is justified that they are at the bottom of our pool) and the rest are at best cup-of-coffee players and some will simply bust.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I randomly stopped by this thread

Nice call on Carcone lol

I was wrong saying that Englund didn't have any NHL future, but probably wasn't alone saying that lol

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Great call on Carcone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad