Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014 (12th)

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Sens Prospect Rankings:

1. Curtis Lazar C 6'0" 203
RTEmagicC_CAN-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL) 58.33%
2. Cody Ceci D 6'3" 209
(Ottawa Senators, NHL) 87.34%
3. Mark Stone RW 6'2" 205
(Binghamton Senators, AHL/Ottawa Senators, NHL) 83.33%
4. Matt Puempel LW 6'1" 205
(Binghamton Senators, AHL) 57.30%
5. Jean-Gabriel Pageau C 5'9" 175
(Binghamton Senators, AHL) 61.00%
6. Fredrik Claesson D 6'0" 209
RTEmagicC_SWE-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Binghamton Senators, AHL)55.56%
7. Shane Prince C 5'11" 190
RTEmagicC_USA-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Binghamton Senators, AHL)40.43%
8. Andreas Englund D 6'3" 190
(Djurgarden J20, SEL/Djurgarden, Allsvenskan)27.27%
9. Mikael Wikstrand D 6'1" 185
(Frolunda, SHL)33.01%
10. Ryan Dzingel C 6'0" 188
RTEmagicC_USA-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Ohio State University, NCAA)32.50%
11. Alex Guptill C 6'3" 175
(U. Of Michigan, NCAA)54.93%

Senators Prospects Top 40 (2013) + Past Rankings:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1494213&highlight=

Prospect Criteria:

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to
the criteria above.

European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

Tell me who to add next.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Went with Driedger.

Kind of disappointing to see the Stars prospects so low on the list.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Went with Driedger.

It's because the pool is still quite good. Doesn't have as many top prospects as before (Lehner, Zibanejad, Silfverberg,...) but Stone, Ceci and Lazar is still a pretty strong top-3. And the top-15 is very good as well. I'd have Pageau and Englund lower personally but sounds about right. Nick Paul might end like 16th or 17th, which bodes very well for this pool IMO.

Went with Driedger as well. Good goalie prospect.

EDIT : Just a detail, Dzingel link is for a 2013 poll

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Driedger.

I also think Guptill was only voted so low because people are still disappointed in the return on Spezza. It's like the opposite of shiny new toy syndrome.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I'm just voting Driedger until he's off the board now. Been doing that the last couple of rounds already.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Instinctively went to vote Guptill - think I voted him 5 times before he won. Anyway, I have a big group all bunched together right here - Paul is very tempting for his goal scoring and size package, but I think Dreidger is the pick.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Went with Driedger.

Meh, It's just a list. We will see how valued they are after next season when we follow their progression a bit more

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Cole Schneider

Gets my vote this time..........

I think he is overlooked on this blog due to the fact he was not a draft pick, but signed out of college as a free agent............

Perhaps Cole will have breakout year and get called up to Ottawa for some games next season......

Those selecting goalie Driedger I find no fault in selecting him, but I only watched him play 1 game in late last season...............

Who to add next not sure so add who others want....................

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'd rather trust scout analysis and word of mouth from those who are actually paid to judge young talent. Guys like Jim Nill, Bryan Murray and Pierre Dorion.

Bob Mckenzie said the stars didnt really give anything major for spezza. Although he did say he liked the trade for both teams because the sens were handcuffed. I honestly wouldnt trust dorion, murray or nill to be honest when it comes to talking about players they acquired or trade away. No gm or scout is going to say we just acquired crap and no gm is going to say we just robbed another gm.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I'd rather trust scout analysis and word of mouth from those who are actually paid to judge young talent. Guys like Jim Nill, Bryan Murray and Pierre Dorion.

You mean the guys who are trying to make a mediocre trade look good to save their jobs?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Bob Mckenzie said the stars didnt really give anything major for spezza. Although he did say he liked the trade for both teams because the sens were handcuffed. I honestly wouldnt trust dorion, murray or nill to be honest when it comes to talking about players they acquired or trade away. No gm or scout is going to say we just acquired crap and no gm is going to say we just robbed another gm.

You mean the guys who are trying to make a mediocre trade look good to save their jobs?

Jim Nill has no reason to needlessly pump up players who are not in his organization anymore, nor does he have any responsibility to make Murray look even remotely decent. So when he says this about a player who most people considered a throw-in...

And then I think the sleeper in the trade is going to be Nicholas Paul. He played in North Bay. He was a draft pick of our’s. I told Bryan Murray when he made the trade with those players he picked the right guys. I said you’re going to be surprised by Nicholas Paul.

...sorry, but I'm going to put ten times more weight behind this than I will toward random posters on the Stars board who may or may not (hint: probably not) watched North Bay or U of M last year.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Jim Nill has no reason to needlessly pump up players who are not in his organization anymore, nor does he have any responsibility to make Murray look even remotely decent. So when he says this about a player who most people considered a throw-in...

...sorry, but I'm going to put ten times more weight behind this than I will toward random posters on the Stars board who may or may not (hint: probably not) watched North Bay or U of M last year.

You honestly think a gm who just ripped another gm off would out right say it to the media? Its in his best interest to make the trade look fair to protect his reputation. Im sure Dean Lombardi said that columbus got some great draft picks for gaborik. Ive never heard a gm say they ripped someone off and i doubt we'll ever hear a gm say it. I find it quite laughable to even suggest that Nill would go out of his way to say we just gave crappy players for spezza.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Driedger.

I also think Guptill was only voted so low because people are still disappointed in the return on Spezza. It's like the opposite of shiny new toy syndrome.

Could also be because most of us are not familiar with him. I know nothing about Guptill so I have a tough time placing him in our rankings.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You honestly think a gm who just ripped another gm off would out right say it to the media? Its in his best interest to make the trade look fair to protect his reputation. Im sure Dean Lombardi said that columbus got some great draft picks for gaborik. Ive never heard a gm say they ripped someone off and i doubt we'll ever hear a gm say it. I find it quite laughable to even suggest that Nill would go out of his way to say we just gave crappy players for spezza.

Again, the NHL is not a video game... This "gm ripped off another gm" is overstated and is almost 100% an HF & other message boards perception.

Teams usually deal from a position of strength to fill a need. Some trades work out better than others (Methot, Turris, etc.) but it remains to be seen in the future, and will depend on the player performance, team chemistry, etc.

This trade is different than usual "hockey trades" because the Sens HAD TO accommodate a player who expressed a desire to have a change of scenery. There's maybe a ton more we don't know about the situation (ex : the Sens had no intention to extend him, even if Murray said they made an offer)

Knowing that no matter what happens Spezza won't be here in a year, you have to trade him while he has some value. If you wait during the season and he gets another injury (while making it an awkward situation for all the professionals involved), you're screwed

We got a nice package of similar value to what we paid for Ryan. It's just that it sucks to give up the best player in the deal. Sucks that the players we got were unknown for you, but that's part of the game. I'm very confident saying that the Sens brass didn't care one second about that, they targeted players over other players and got the most they could at this POINT IN TIME.

People really have to lose that "video game mindset" if they want to get an inch closer to the game (and we'll still be very limited in what we know)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad