News Article: Sens Badmouthing Coaching - Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
part 1 could be anything.... hockey or non- hockey related.... that scares me.... hockey talk criticzing an inept boss is one thing, but i'm worried part 1 might make me cringe..

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
part 1 could be anything.... hockey or non- hockey related.... that scares me.... hockey talk criticzing an inept boss is one thing, but i'm worried part 1 might make me cringe..

Hopefully it will never see the light of day. Uber Man took the first one down and most likely doesn't want to get the pants sued of off him.

The only way this could leak is if he already sent it to some media people and they themselves leak it somewhere, which I feel is less likely to happen.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The players involved probably didn't face the media at the advice of their lawyers. I am guessing this because there has been talk of legal action, and sending out guys not involved to address it was strange.

The guys involved facing the media means they could potentially say something that would hurt their case.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The players involved probably didn't face the media at the advice of their lawyers. I am guessing this because there has been talk of legal action, and sending out guys not involved to address it was strange.

The guys involved facing the media means they could potentially say something that would hurt their case.

I don't know about the rest of them, but Duchene, Chabot and Wideman apologized to Raymond in some of their interviews.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The players in the Uber screwed up, even if they knew they were being taped & it's possible they did not, it's clear that they didn't expect this Uber driver to post it online. It's a mistake & a lesson learned that I bet those guys & maybe every other player in the Sens organization will probably not repeat any time soon. They embarrassed themselves first most, they embarrassed the organization & the city & they embarrassed & potentially humiliated their coach. The whole ordeal falls on their shoulders & they did well to apologize for their indiscretions. The matter should now be over with unless of course there are legal ramifications over the posting online without permission which I doubt since stuff seems to be posted online all the time without people's permission. They should just move on & put it behind them.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
My biggest takeaway from this whole sordid mess is that the players involved chose to blame an assistant coach for their own shortcomings. Penalty killing is hardly rocket science. If the players had played better or been more talented I'm sure their penalty kill would be much better.

Lol this is my take away as well..

Of all things to grill coaches about, the PK is a real odd one to go off on. Ive spent a lot time in a locker room, and never once before have I heard guys blaming the garbage PK on the coaching staff..

Its like quite literally the one thing that they cant get blamed for as far as I remember it. Like stay out of the box if you dont enjoy defending haha.

The PK goes as well as your goalie is playing, and how hard guys are fighting to win the 1 on 1's.

Yes you can make little adjustments, but the opposing team has the puck, and therefore your in reaction mode the majority of the time. Structure only works when the opposing team does what you want

Coaching has a much bigger impact on the PP than the PK imo. And conversely, the on ice personnel will have a bigger impact on the PK versus coaching strategies.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lol this is my take away as well..

Of all things to grill coaches about, the PK is a real odd one to go off on. Ive spent a lot time in a locker room, and never once before have I heard guys blaming the garbage PK on the coaching staff..

Its like quite literally the one thing that they cant get blamed for as far as I remember it. Like stay out of the box if you dont enjoy defending haha.

The PK goes as well as your goalie is playing, and how hard guys are fighting to win the 1 on 1's.

Yes you can make little adjustments, but the opposing team has the puck, and therefore your in reaction mode the majority of the time. Structure only works when the opposing team does what you want

Coaching has a much bigger impact on the PP than the PK imo. And conversely, the on ice personnel will have a bigger impact on the PK versus coaching strategies.
Ummm at the NHL level your PK absolutely matters or you get torched. You need to watch video of every team and make adjustments or you will get lit up like a christmas tree. Its really not something to half ass or the 'one thing' that isnt system based. Being passive and letting teams easily get into the zone is a huge advantage. So is allowing for downlow plays and letting the oposition walk to the net. This is a very innacurate take.

Reactions: Smash88 and Sensung

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Uh, this isn't Arizona. The Citizen published a video that had already been removed from YouTube for violating their privacy policies. The privacy laws in Canada are also different. You are not permitted to surreptitiously video someone and post it online. If this Uber ride happened in Ottawa, there would be a lawsuit. If the Ottawa Citizen posted the video from an Uber ride in Ottawa claiming it was in the public interest, they would *I say probably* lose that lawsuit.
The flip side with regard to the Ottawa Senators going after the Ottawa Citizen and Post Media is a little more complicated. If you do not oppose an infringement of your perceived rights, it is commonly accepted that you are therefore relinquishing those rights. This applies to trademarks etc. That's the reason why big corporations always aggressively pursue any actor, no matter how insignificant for trademark or copyright infringement. To do otherwise would open the floodgate to further infringement.
This is not an attack on the press. The press are free to report on this story. What they are not free to do is post that video online in the sleazy journalistic pursuit of mouse clicks. I've seen journalists work up close and many are jackals. Your Trump comments are unwarranted in this case.

Actually the privacy laws in Canada allow for recording of conversations as long as one part to the conversation is aware it is being recorded. So if you and I are talking and I know I am recording it, then it is ok. When this "gentleman" asked a question 'What team do you play for' and it got answered he became part of the conversation. Had they ignored the question he would be recording illegally

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Actually the privacy laws in Canada allow for recording of conversations as long as one part to the conversation is aware it is being recorded. So if you and I are talking and I know I am recording it, then it is ok. When this "gentleman" asked a question 'What team do you play for' and it got answered he became part of the conversation. Had they ignored the question he would be recording illegally
It’s not that simple. That rule doesn’t apply if there is an expectation of privacy. That would be up to a court to decide.
It’s also standard policy in any business or workplace to make it known that video recording is occurring. This driver secretly video recorded. If there was a sticker on the dash cam that stated the occupants were being recorded than that would be different. At any rate, it isn’t as clear cut as people think. YouTube pulled the original video down due to privacy concerns.
And also, it’s garbage journalism and Post Media is needlessly damaging a working relationship. I doubt the Senators organization punishes them or their access openly but there will be probably be some form of subtle retribution.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ummm at the NHL level your PK absolutely matters or you get torched. You need to watch video of every team and make adjustments or you will get lit up like a christmas tree. Its really not something to half ass or the 'one thing' that isnt system based. Being passive and letting teams easily get into the zone is a huge advantage. So is allowing for downlow plays and letting the oposition walk to the net. This is a very innacurate take.

Haha ok dude, whatever you say.

I'll fully maintain that killing penalties comes down more on the 5 guys on the ice versus the coaching staff.

Your completely kidding yourself if you think 1 coach can entirely change how a PK unit performs. They can influence it sure, but you seem to be very disillusioned with how much coaching can do here.

It's much more about putting the right players in the right positions. That's the best coaching you can do.

If you fancy yourself such an expert, take a look into how much time teams actually spend "practicing" the PK. And your gonna quickly realize that most of the "practice" comes by way of simply watching video sessions of other teams PPs to identify their tendencies...

Nice try though.

Last edited:

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
It’s not that simple. That rule doesn’t apply if there is an expectation of privacy. That would be up to a court to decide.
It’s also standard policy in any business or workplace to make it known that video recording is occurring. This driver secretly video recorded. If there was a sticker on the dash cam that stated the occupants were being recorded than that would be different. At any rate, it isn’t as clear cut as people think. YouTube pulled the original video down due to privacy concerns.
And also, it’s garbage journalism and Post Media is needlessly damaging a working relationship. I doubt the Senators organization punishes them or their access openly but there will be probably be some form of subtle retribution.

I agree it is slimy and sleazy .. I am not sure you can argue for expectation of privacy when you are in an open car though. Arizona has the same recording laws that Canada does. I think the only reason Youtube took it down was because their headquarters are not in Az so they were going by the rules of where they are

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I really hope it’s just shitting on Melnyk (pt 1)

We know it’s not even that bad already though because nothing has changed at all. I guarantee it’s already been talked about and pushed aside.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Duchene saving grace is he did this in Ottawa - a sports city that is (comparatively) unsure of itself on the North American scene that craves and always wants the big-name-stars to like it. We want Duchene to like Ottawa, to like the Senators, to want to stay - even if he has a black cloud following him around everywhere he goes our insecurity as a fanbase and a city supersede his poor track record and we just want him to like us and say he wants to stay because we are a city with very little self-esteem.

He's lucky this happened to him, anywhere else he'd be asked to leave. In Ottawa it makes us crave his adulation more because we are afraid he might not like it here and that'd be worse then having a bad team, we still want players to like it here, like our stupid insecurity over this imagined love Ryan had for Philly over Ottawa, total nonsense, but we wanted him to stay just so he wouldn't leave and make us feel rejected, so we signed him up to a stupid contract and Murray declared Ottawa a place to be, which it isn't seeing that EK, Brass, all the good players leave.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If part 1 is the conversation before the driver asked what team they play for, i imagine its more complaining about the coaches and management, perhaps owner or other players. I doubt they would have said anything morally comprising and then say oh yeah, we play for the sens.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If part 1 is the conversation before the driver asked what team they play for, i imagine its more complaining about the coaches and management, perhaps owner or other players. I doubt they would have said anything morally comprising and then say oh yeah, we play for the sens.

I wonder if the team has seen "part 1" yet. They had access to "part 2" almost immediately, well before Postmedia picked it up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Do we know for sure that "part 1" was even the same uber ride? Hell, for all we know, there might be a bunch fo drivers out there suddenly looking for their 15 seconds of fame.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wonder if the team has seen "part 1" yet. They had access to "part 2" almost immediately, well before Postmedia picked it up.
Seen it or not, assuming it's the same 7 guys in the Uber, they should have already discussed what was said or done.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do we know for sure that "part 1" was even the same uber ride? Hell, for all we know, there might be a bunch fo drivers out there suddenly looking for their 15 seconds of fame.

Embedded operatives within Uber whose mandate is to take down the sens org? Seems a bit like a bad movie pĺot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->