Speculation: Sens attendance projections for 19-20

What number of fans (freebies included) do you feel the Sens will average in 19-20?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Only one of the two was here for both seasons and the downturn in attendance coincided with the owner threatening to move the team and the GM speculating about trading our generational Dman. Melnyk had already played the “cut costs during rebuild but then spend when the time was right” card. The team gets a goal away from the cup final, while raking in playoff revenue and then the lying sack of **** cut spending instead of keeping his promise.

Even you can’t deny the obvious. The fanbase is done with Eugene.

Except he said these things after attendance started to fall, once the team hit the bottom of the standings so did attendance.
And then if you are right the team will have to move, no big deal.
I see zero reason to pretend last place isn’t the major issue here

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Except he said these things after attendance started to fall, once the team hit the bottom of the standings so did attendance.
You might want to check your timelines...they paint a far different picture than the narrative you are pushing.

The reason you are pushing that narrative is to try and paint this financially motivated firesale as a typical rebuild, when we both know it is anything but.

The attendance issues are not W/L record motivated and will not be fixed IF the team ever starts to win again.

Eugene needs to go.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You might want to check your timelines...they paint a far different picture than the narrative you are pushing.

The reason you are pushing that narrative is to try and paint this financially motivated firesale as a typical rebuild, when we both know it is anything but.

The attendance issues are not W/L record motivated and will not be fixed IF the team ever starts to win again.

Eugene needs to go.

You might want to check it. I already did

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You seriously see no issue ever affecting attendance whatsoever outside of winning and losing? Like honestly and not just the usual contrarian opinion? Is that just Ottawa and you think they've handled everything aces? Or, do you think nothing ever affects a sports franchises attendance other than winning and losing?

Attendance may have been dwindling, but they doubled down as hard as humanly possible and have basically dared any remaining fans to check out if they aren't going to stop asking questions and providing constructive criticism.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Players don’t last forever anyway, there was zero problems until the team started missing the playoffs, how was attendance with these two most popular players over the last couple years again?
It’s weird all teams suffer with a poor on ice product and always have,but somehow to fit your personal opinion this is ignored

I wouldn't mind them trading star players if it was actually to make the team better in the long-term and not just being cheap.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chabot is a long way from generational. Hope he gets there, but that is pure hyperbole at this point.

Tkachuk is your cup of tea. Personally I’ll be glad when daddy prices him out of town and fans can stop gushing about him. Some were idiotic enough to suggest they’d rather have Brady than Dahlin or Pettersson.

White is nothing special. Good serviceable NHLer, but not someone to fill seats.

The Sens have a decent prospect pool and a few extra picks. Even if everything does pan out, Eugene will just ship them out when it is time to pay.

Attendance will be in the crapper this year and they will have to paper like crazy to make it appear somewhat respectable. It has little to nothing to do with winning and everything to do with the massive disconnect between the org and the fans. Pretending it is about the W/L column is going to have the Sens brass scratching their heads IF they ever start winning again and the fans don’t come back. They (and apparently you) just don’t get it.

This city is completely done with this POS owner.

You are such a condescending poster, when will you ever learn that people like who they like & that not everyone supports your claims or agree with your opinions. There are those that disagree with you as they do with me, but there is no need to constantly spew your insults because people disagree with you. It's ignorant & if you want people to respect your opinion stop insulting them or calling them names or it gets super ugly on here.

I prefer Tkachuk over those two & would take him again regardless what you or anyone else says, IMO he does more for the team that builds their confidence & creates a winning attitude on a team that desperately needs it, it's more than the play on the ice, it's the mental part of the game too. And on top of that it's what he does on the ice that makes him so good, that bands his teammates together to never quit. Character is a very important element for most teams in the NHL to build a winning team with players that have the right character & who are leaders that teammates will follow & Tkachuk is that kind of player, that is valuable. We all want the owner out but most of your opinion continues to be on what YOU THINK he might do or not or what will actually happen which we don't know until it does actually happen, they're assumptions. Maybe it happens & maybe it doesn't. Try to be a little nicer, hockey is just something we like to watch for entertainment, it's not life & death.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
We all want the owner out but most of your opinion continues to be on what YOU THINK he might do or not or what will actually happen which we don't know until it does actually happen, they're assumptions. Maybe it happens & maybe it doesn't. Try to be a little nicer, hockey is just something we like to watch for entertainment, it's not life & death.
Eugene has a track record we can use to predict his future behaviour. Not foolproof, but less foolish than expecting a leopard to change his spots.

You have a track record as well. Go back and look at your posts when we disagreed about what would happen with Dzingle, Duchene and Stone. You gave Eugene the benefit of the doubt, as per usual.

You claim to want Eugene out and you follow through on this statement by continuing to hand him your money. Interesting plan.

We like a different style of player and I'm happy to hear your opinion. It would be boring otherwise.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Eugene has a track record we can use to predict his future behaviour. Not foolproof, but less foolish than expecting a leopard to change his spots.

You have a track record as well. Go back and look at your posts when we disagreed about what would happen with Dzingle, Duchene and Stone. You gave Eugene the benefit of the doubt, as per usual.

You claim to want Eugene out and you follow through on this statement by continuing to hand him your money. Interesting plan.

We like a different style of player and I'm happy to hear your opinion. It would be boring otherwise.
While I no longer have a package with the Sens I'm not going to stop going to games & have said so for quite some time. I don't take hockey & this owner seriously enough, nor do I care enough to be overly committed to the cause. As I said before it's just hockey, something I watch for entertainment, I don't let it affect or ruin my life, if it doesn't go my way, I don't take it that seriously. There are plenty of other more important things to do but I like this team & some players & when I feel like going to a game with friends, I'm going to go & not let the politics around the team deter me since most people could care less. Doesn't mean I still don't want the owner out, others may feel stronger about it, but I don't care enough about it & actually also prefer the arena to stay where it is since I live fairly close to it. Selfish of me, I know.

I did give management the benefit of the doubt because at the time nobody knew what the plan was going forward. But since they have decided to rebuild, I think that has turned out to be a better plan since the team was sucking anyway & IMO it would have been foolish to give a ton of money & term to players when they weren't making the playoffs anyway. I was fine with them trading Ek, Dzingel & Duchene but I would have liked that they kept Stone. Anyway, it's their team & they are going to do what they want, they have never asked me for my opinion on who to keep or who to trade, I wish they would. Try & have a nice summer, if we ever get good weather.

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Worse than last year. The last two years have seen the team finish 30th then 31st overall, and last year's team had Dzingel, Stne, and Duchene for most of the season. The 2019-20 team is going to be terrible, but without even the pretext of contention that Dorion sold before 2018-19. And I think public perception of Melnyk continues to reach unprecedented lows.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
More speculation needed here, but let's throw in a wrinkle - EM sells, what's the impact on attendance?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
We averaged 76% capacity this season. With a sale I'd expect it to at least jump up to like 80-85%. The team will still be shit most likely but as soon as they turn it around I think we'd be back to sellouts

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
We averaged 76% capacity this season. With a sale I'd expect it to at least jump up to like 80-85%. The team will still be **** most likely but as soon as they turn it around I think we'd be back to sellouts
You think attendance will jump that much? I personally think the attendance problem has more to do with the terrible arena location than Melnyk.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think its a mix of location, melnyk, and team performance
the new ownership could at least sell hope, which melnyk can try, but no one would buy it

I see it as a mix of

performance
small corporate base in ottawa
tickets too expensive for the average Joe Fan to attend anymore than a handful of games a year.

attendance will improve with a winning product and with new ownership, but this market is never going to consistently generate sellouts without discounting tickets / papering the house

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well a disapointing redblacks offseason might lead to a slow start for them which could shift some entertainment dollars back to the sens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad