Speculation: Sens Alumni Roster

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Of Course we wlll see the expected. Alfredsson as Captain. Phillips, White, York, Donovan looking for inclusion. Current NHLers not considered.

Was more wondering who else Sens fans would like to see put on the Jersey one more time. Give us your best sales pitch for the ones you'd like included.

Could be from a list similar to

Goal: Tugnutt, Rhodes

Defence: Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov, Gonchar, Laukkanen, Salo, Duchesne, Maciver, Leschyshyn, Meszaros, Kuba, Kravchuk, York

Forward: Alfredsson, Bonk, Michalek, Arvedson, Dackell, Van Allan, Turgeon, Prospal, Shaefer, Cunneyworth, Havlat, McEachern, Neil?

Missed some (for sure) then add them on.

I'd like to see Magnus Arvedson again. 5th Rounder who played 400+ games; 100 goals. Always left it on the ice. Also like Radek Bonk. Played almost 1000 games in various leagues; a decade for us. His size was appreciated by his mates I'm sure.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Wouldn't be shocked to see Hasek there (much like Gretzky in the blues alumni game). Lalime too.

My best guess at a roster is:

Heatley-Yashin-Alfredsson
Arvedsson-Bonk-McEacherin
Schaefer-Kelly-Neil (Yes I believe both will be retired next year)
White-Van Allen-Dackell

Phillips-Redden
York-Kuba
Volchenkov-Gonchar

Hasek
Lalime

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tugnutt/Rhodes/Lalime each period makes a lot of sense. IMO, Lalime is the most recognizable "alumni" goalie with the Sens as he was the starting goalie for most of the team's peak and prior to Craig Anderson being around held most of the Senators goalie records.

The Canadiens should sign Heatley to a 1 day contract and then put him in the alumni game to be the perfect villain for Sens fans....just kidding. Heatley being back would be cool, but I think there's too much bad blood there, and I think Melnyk might not approve....

I'm not that familiar with the early expansion day rosters of the Sens, but hopefully they throw a bone to 1 or 2 of those guys who played through an abysmal season. I don't know if there were any fan favourites who didn't really get much NHL exposure prior to playing on Ottawa for a year and then fading back out of the NHL, but if so that'd be a cool pick.

Oh yeah......they HAVE to get Daigle. Enough time has passed that I think fans see him more as an interesting story rather than a player they resent for stabbing the team in the back like Heatley or Yashin. The tickets for the game sell themselves, but the guy has an interesting story and if he was willing to it'd probably be a great marketing angle to have him return as an older wise retired player who is willing to be open about some of the mistakes he made as a Senator and embrace his part in the team's history.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Seeing Kelly-Neil there would be great.
Luke Richardson should probably step in for Gonchar.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
Can't argue with any of the names mentioned so far, but I'd make a case for Neil Brady too. Not a stellar career for the Sens, but he did score the first ever goal...against the Habs too so it would be nice to see him there in some capacity

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Brad Marsh? Not sure if he still lives here or if there's any bad feelings leftover from the closing of Marshy's.

I was at the Hometown Hockey over the weekend and Redden, Laurie Boschman and Pascal Leclaire were there representing the Sens alumni.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Goal: Tugnutt, Lalime

Defence: Redden, Phillips, Kravchuk, Marsh, York, Duchesne, Shaw

Forward: Alfredsson, Bonk, Michalek (if retired), Arvedson, Dackell, Van Allan, Turgeon, Cunneyworth, Havlat, McEachern, Neil (if retired), White, Boschman, Peluso, Kelly (if retired) Donovan

Bold Denotes guys I think will for sure play due to ties to the organization, or still living in Ottawa or close by (i.e. Kravchuk & York live in MTL I believe)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Hoping both Yashin and Heatley are there.

A few months back, Melnyk in an interview with 1200 made it very clear that Heatley will not be welcome at an alumni game.

Remember, the guy screwed Eugene out of 5 million.

Edit: In the interview, they were listing off players to Melnyk and getting his reaction. I don't sharply remember what his reactions were for Yashin and Hasek, though. Tepid at best IIRC.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Perhaps add Janne Laukkanen, Tom Chorske and Mark Lamb...Pitlick, Emery and McGrattan

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Perhaps add Janne Laukkanen, Tom Chorske and Mark Lamb...Pitlick, Emery and McGrattan

A few months back, Melnyk in an interview with 1200 made it very clear that Heatley will not be welcome at an alumni game.

Remember, the guy screwed Eugene out of 5 million.

Edit: In the interview, they were listing off players to Melnyk and getting his reaction. I don't sharply remember what his reactions were for Yashin and Hasek, though. Tepid at best IIRC.

I think Melnyk said he'd like Emery to play. His reactions to Yashin was not positive. Hasek I think he was open to it, but I am a bit foggy.

I'd be down for Lamb (and all of the former non-active Sens Captains) to play. Boschman, Lamb, Shaw, Dineen, Cunneyworth, Yashin, Alfie.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Turgeon - White - Alfredsson
McEachern - Bonk - Havlat
Donovan - Kelly - Neil
Boshman - Van Allen - Cunneyworth/McGratton

Redden - Phillips
Duschene - York
Marsh - Richardson/Shaw

Lalime - Emery/Tugnutt

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
What about that random guy who showed up at the Civic Center and ran the stairs in his skates during the Sens inaugural season?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given the bad ties they left the team with I doubt Yashin and Heatley will be a part of the team.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Given the bad ties they left the team with I doubt Yashin and Heatley will be a part of the team.

There's no way Heatley comes back. Common sense, he "betrayed" Melnyk. Only way he comes back is if he agrees to kiss Melnyk's ass in the center of the hockey rink or something.

Yashin is very far removed from Melnyk. He was long gone by the time Eugene bought the team. I highly doubt he has any bad blood towards him. The only reason not to bring back Yashin is if they felt it would be bad for the game from a marketing perspective because enough fans still hate him.

As far as Hasek goes, if he wants to come....sure....but he probably barely cracks the top 5 most relevant Senators goalies. He is by far the biggest star to play in net, but as far as Sens history he played for half a season and then left on a sour note when he wouldn't dress in the playoffs despite being begged. Maybe the team cutoff their nose to spite their face when they refused his offer to return, but the point is Lalime, Emery, Tugnutt, and Rhodes all have more history as Senators goalies. Even a guy like Sidorkoriwhoweveryouspellit might be ahead of Hasek depending on how much stock you put in the novelty of him being the Senators first starting goalie.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
There's no way Heatley comes back. Common sense, he "betrayed" Melnyk. Only way he comes back is if he agrees to kiss Melnyk's ass in the center of the hockey rink or something.

Yashin is very far removed from Melnyk. He was long gone by the time Eugene bought the team. I highly doubt he has any bad blood towards him. The only reason not to bring back Yashin is if they felt it would be bad for the game from a marketing perspective because enough fans still hate him.

As far as Hasek goes, if he wants to come....sure....but he probably barely cracks the top 5 most relevant Senators goalies. He is by far the biggest star to play in net, but as far as Sens history he played for half a season and then left on a sour note when he wouldn't dress in the playoffs despite being begged. Maybe the team cutoff their nose to spite their face when they refused his offer to return, but the point is Lalime, Emery, Tugnutt, and Rhodes all have more history as Senators goalies. Even a guy like Sidorkoriwhoweveryouspellit might be ahead of Hasek depending on how much stock you put in the novelty of him being the Senators first starting goalie.

Peter Sidorkoriwhoweveryouspellit was our first player to rep Ottawa at the All-Star Game! (Along with Brad Marsh)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I could see Hasek being involved for one simple reason.. revenue.

Much like Brodeur and Gretzkys participation at the blues alumni game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad