Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Jamieson Rees

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Rees is better than the vast majority of players the Sens have drafted in the late rounds recently. This is less a waste of a draft pick than it would be to select somebody like Nick Van Tassell, Eric Engstrand, Luke Loheit, Jakov Novak, Chandler Romeo, Carson Latimer, Tyson Dyck or Philippe Daoust.

The days of the Sens getting mid/late round steals are long gone.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Whats with this guy's ahl production? Crazy dropoff from one year to the next.

I'm a big fan of this move though. This guy still has way more potential than any 6th round pick. I'd be happy if they did moves like this constantly with any picks outside the top 100.

And it adds value for the bsens.

You wanna improve the winning culture in the NHL? Stock the b team and make things super competitive down there.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
hmmm feels like a waste of a draft pick.

I get this sentiment if you just look at his hockeydb, I had the same eyebrow raise as well, but lots of posters here who clearly have watched the player seem to like him.

Separate from where this is the right guy to target, just on paper it's pretty clear this team needs another layer of bottom 6/depth talent that can play in the NHL next year or the year after. Our cupboards are bare due to poor drafting outside of one very strong draft.

Trading a late pick for someone who could play next year seems fine strategically.

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Our cupboards are bare due to poor drafting outside of one very strong draft.
Weak analysis, man. We've only had 1 first round pick since 2020 and that was boucher, who looks like a bust. One of our 3 2nd rounders (ostapchuk) looks like he'll be a player, which is pretty par for the course.

It's not bad drafting if you miss in later rounds. It's expected. And honestly, even if any of those magic beans do sprout, you can't expect late round picks to crack the league in just a few years.

Guys like Jorian Donovan, the Riedler and Stephen Halliday look somewhat promising, but you gotta give later round guys a couple years to develop.

Reactions: PlayOn

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Whats with this guy's ahl production? Crazy dropoff from one year to the next.

I'm a big fan of this move though. This guy still has way more potential than any 6th round pick. I'd be happy if they did moves like this constantly with any picks outside the top 100.

And it adds value for the bsens.

You wanna improve the winning culture in the NHL? Stock the b team and make things super competitive down there.
Canes lack a minor league affiliate. Had to loan their prospects out wherever they can.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Does this needs to be realized in 2024? Dorion wasn't even able to build a winning AHL team...
It kind of trickles down, right? If the NHL team does well, it means you have a surplus of good players "stuck" in the AHL fighting to steal a spot. When your NHL team sucks because you've traded all your stars (and somehow your picks as well, in Dorion's case), you have holes to fill with your AHLers, so you're depleting your AHL team.

It makes sense to me that good NHL teams will also have good AHL affiliates.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It kind of trickles down, right? If the NHL team does well, it means you have a surplus of good players "stuck" in the AHL fighting to steal a spot. When your NHL team sucks because you've traded all your stars (and somehow your picks as well, in Dorion's case), you have holes to fill with your AHLers, so you're depleting your AHL team.

Carolina is a good nhl team and doesn’t have an AHL affiliate.

Nuances everywhere, always.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The fact that Carolina has no affiliate is an unique situation and nothing to do with the current argument. It’s not a nuance Ice-T

Bingo won the Calder Cup in 2011? Murray only had the opportunity to rebuild « on the fly » and still built a good AHL team, which resulted in some success from 2011-12 to 2016-17

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The fact that Carolina has no affiliate is an unique situation and nothing to do with the current argument. It’s not a nuance Ice-T

Bingo won the Calder Cup in 2011? Murray only had the opportunity to rebuild « on the fly » and still built a good AHL team, which resulted in some success from 2011-12 to 2016-17
That was before Melnyk really started penny pinching. Troy Mann talked about it when he coached Belleville, and basically said when he coached in Hershey their mandate was to win and here it was really just development.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That was before Melnyk really started penny pinching. Troy Mann talked about it when he coached Belleville, and basically said when he coached in Hershey their mandate was to win and here it was really just development.

It's been a while so I don't really remember but in my memory, we never really had a big budget for the AHL team... we just had a great mix of prospects and vets with Lehner being an elite goalie. Campoli trade (26th OA + McAmmond for Campoli and Comrie) was heavily criticized but we ended up trading him for a mid 2nd round pick and Ryan Potulny who was a big reason why we won that Calder. He had 14 goals, 26 pts in 23 playoffs games. We just gave up a late 1st for Campoli and Comrie but got back a more beneficial return than any of we have now for Brassard, Hoffman, Duchene, Stone, etc and even DeBrincat return (hopefully not Chychrun). It's crazy when you think of it because people were extremely hard on Murray for this. Care what you wish for.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It's been a while so I don't really remember but in my memory, we never really had a big budget for the AHL team... we just had a great mix of prospects and vets with Lehner being an elite goalie. Campoli trade (26th OA + McAmmond for Campoli and Comrie) was heavily criticized but we ended up trading him for a mid 2nd round pick and Ryan Potulny who was a big reason why we won that Calder. He had 14 goals, 26 pts in 23 playoffs games. We just gave up a late 1st for Campoli and Comrie but got back a more beneficial return than any of we have now for Brassard, Hoffman, Duchene, Stone, etc and even DeBrincat return (hopefully not Chychrun). It's crazy when you think of it because people were extremely hard on Murray for this. Care what you wish for.
I remember Murray being focused on building a winner in the AHL for the experience it provides prospects and I think he invested more but yeah, I’m not gonna pretend I remember or know all the details either.

I do think Melnyk got worse with spending as the years went along, but I also think Murray was just substantially better at his job than Dorion, so as always it’s a mix of things.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad