Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by toivy, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1234

Alex1234 Registered User

And Tampa
    Rest assured Brayden Point will score a lot of goals against us in the next 8years with our help...

JungleBeat likes this.
  2. BonkTastic

BonkTastic ಠ_ಠ

I know.

That's why I specifically worded my post to differentiate between the two.

3. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

The Senators are most certainly at a different stage than Tampa and the Leafs. Those teams have a window of opportunity to win the SC; the Senators don't and most likely won't ever have such a window under Melnyk due to his inability or unwillingness to invest more in the team. We has some very good to excellent pieces in Zibanejad, Karlsson, Duchene, Stone that could be built around but sold them off due to budget reasons.

4. Gesus

Gesus Melnyk & Dorion ruined everything

Our story for the last 10 or so years has been that missing piece or two because of the lack of budget to fill holes. We've been working with a peg leg and that same old story will likely creep in again at some point.

5. Blotto71

Blotto71 We still get goals!

Next Sens head coach to be fired
    And me! I have Point in a keeper league :naughty:

6. scallionjj11

scallionjj11 FOREVERALFIE

7. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Meaningless leaning mess

It's weird that out-of-market people are getting so riled up about what the Senators are doing.

8. Tnuoc Alucard

Tnuoc Alucard There's more than 1 side to any story or issue.

So you would have proffered Condon sitting in the press box, for the entire year, drawing his 3 million, rather than unloading his contract, so that Tampa would have made a deal with another team to gain some cap relief?

9. Gesus

Well this is the first time it's been done to this extent, so not surprising it's getting attention. The only franchise that touches it is the Coyotes, and I don't believe they've even gone this extreme with it.

10. Gesus

We were well below the floor already, so the move was unnecessary for anyone not named Eugene Melnyk.

11. Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle wee & free

Didn't someone mention before that all this cap circumvention has an overall effect on escrow or future cap numbers around the league? Even if it's just a few drops in the bucket, it would hurt players. It was one thing that Arizona was doing that while trying to get a new owner in a potentially lucrative and important US tv market...it's another to do it in a good Canadian market.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHLPA was sending out a few media grumblings and getting a bit of momentum going to close up a loophole like this in the future CBA.

12. The Lewler

The Lewler GOAT BUDGET AINEC

Meme Enforcement Officer
    Yeah I'm pretty sure signing bonus isn't subject to escrow, correct?

13. Daxi

Daxi Fearless Leader

14. Tnuoc Alucard

Not a very logical way to run a business, and I doubt you or anyone would keep an unwanted employee around, on the payroll, adding nothing to the business.

Shedding Condon frees up money, if needed for unsigned players/management positions needing to be filled, to add to the organization.

15. FunkySeeFunkyDoo

FunkySeeFunkyDoo Registered User

I think the fact that the trade helps a Leafs division rival is a big part of why it would be getting play in the Toronto media.

16. FunkySeeFunkyDoo

FunkySeeFunkyDoo Registered User

This is a legitimate argument in favour of the trade.

But you don't seriously think that will happen, do you?

17. BatherSeason

BatherSeason Registered User

As fans, we shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. Unfortunately, the Ottawa Senators have made us care about the financials.

Cmon Count, even you know that this will free up money for absolutely nothing.

18. BatherSeason

BatherSeason Registered User

The Toronto media seems to conveniently forget that the Ottawa Senators have also helped them free up some money to re-sign Mitch Marner. Mitch Marner and Point are gonna feast on the Ottawa Senators for years now thanks to the Ottawa Senators.

19. SensHulk

SensHulk Registered User

Good times when we thought we could get Brayden point++ for Erik Karlsson

20. Daxi

Daxi Fearless Leader

Professionals sports is different from traditional business but even in traditional business there are salaries, bonuses, severance paid out to unwanted employees adding nothing to the business.

Melnyk is running the Senators like they are about to file for bankruptcy and not play the 2019-2020 season. It's like watching Sears.

Rand0m, inthewings and Upgrayedd like this.
  21. Alex1234

Alex1234 Registered User

Where are the proofs Condon would have sit in the press box and the proofs Tampa would have made a deal with another team??

22. Tnuoc Alucard

Common sense tells us that the Senators are in a re-build, and want all their own young goaltenders to play as much as possible, wherever they are in the system.

Ottawa had three goaltenders on one way contracts, and wanted Anderson and Nilsson to play ......... that left Condon the odd man out, and nowhere to play in the Senators system ....... they, logically, wanted him off the books ................ the trade to Tampa accomplished that.

Tampa wanted to free up cap space, for their own reasons, and wanted to move the Callahan contract .......... so it was a matter of time before they moved it, so if not to the Senators, then to another team.

23. Xspyrit

Xspyrit Registered User

Sales/Business/Investment
    How is it not a true rebuild? It's not that complicated, all teams do the same :

- move older and expensive veterans for picks/prospects/young players while reducing expenses significantly and preparing the salary cap structure for the future. Result is the they accumulate young assets and the team get much younger as they give more opportunities to young players. The goal is to create a flowing talent pipeline at all positions.

They have been doing that part really well. The problem and why we really don't like it is because 1) we really hate Melnyk 2) this rebuild is "extreme" and the vets sacrificed were not even "old" (Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, Hoffman, Dzingel were all easily under 30) and 3) there's gotta be a limit to cutting expenses? 4) Melnyk creates so much havoc around him.

We know the reason why this rebuild happened is just not because the "core is too old" like the LA Kings for example. A financially healthy owner wouldn't have given up on a core that young. He would have hired better coaching, management, replace players like MacArthur and Methot adequately, support Anderson better, have better depth to not suffer from injuries, etc.

Well, I certainly don't follow all this as much as you seem to, particularly not anymore but thanks for the info of what happened in the beginning, I didn't even know. Like you said, he lost the gamble pretty bad and well, it doesn't seem like it's the only one he lost recently. He could have had the whole team + arena debt cleared entirely by now if he played his cards differently, but sometimes business is "cruel" like that. I'm kinda happy I'm not a billionaire lol, I prefer to lose thousands instead of millions.

Anyway, Melnyk rather see us suffer than just clear out the debt, sell them team and go to Bahamas with a lot of money. He could easily get 600-650 M$ for the team. Is it the pride that he wants to remain the owner? Or is he waiting for a new arena downtown to sell higher? What is it?

24. GrantLemons

GrantLemons Church of FYOUS

I love how it's so easy for Tampa to hang up the phone and call up another team that is eager and willing to eat an LTIR contract, and to have it done before the start of the season. Yet when we were discussing the Ceci trade in that thread, and the discussion was centred around Pierre's other options, Dad was first in line asking for sources on any other trade options, citing that because the media reported no other potential landing spots for Ceci, none existed.

Whatever fits the narrative, I guess.

Alex1234 and Deku like this.
  25. Gesus

Common sense tells us it was yet another (in a very long line of them) cost cutting move as the priority over gaining or retaining assets as they circumvent the cap to unprecedented levels.

Using your logic, we should have put Hoffman on waivers last year instead of accepting a cap dump and downgraded pick in return.

[qdp mod]

Last edited by moderator Tundraman: Aug 7, 2019
    Karlstrobe and Deku like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.