Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So to frame the discussion around whether it would have been a waste to pay Condon, whether the trade has some minor benefits to the team or whether it's acceptable to be upset about the team saving some cash by making this deal is either being obtuse or deliberately confrontational.

I would argue the opposite, actually. The trade is just a symptom (a harmless symptom at that). The trade is not the problem. The problem is the fact the Melnyk is a cheap bastard with a crazy agenda. The exact same trade could have happened without the Melnyk problem. People spilling so much ink over such an insignificant trade detracts from the true problem. Melnyk. This is almost like when Trump says something totally ridiculous on twitter that gets people super riled up to distract from the shitty policies he's doing behind the scenes. Stop zoning in on these insignificant things and focus on the core matters.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Nobody said anything like that. What people are pointing out is that even with a nothing deal like this the Sens show their true intention...save money for EM. But it seems you are not getting it, so I'm out of this discussion.

Well if it didn’t dump a contract the sens didn’t want what would be the point of making the deal in the first place?
What I don’t get is the outrage and demanding that money is needed to be thrown away on a player we will never use, it makes no sense anywhere on this planet

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Well if it didn’t dump a contract the sens didn’t want what would be the point of making the deal in the first place?

Oh well I don't know, to acquire an asset from TB for taking Callahan's contract straight up?

Ah no wait, as you've said many times, they may not have been willing to give up an asset for taking Callahan, my apologies. They were out there phoning other teams asking if they would take Callahan's contract for free.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
What I don’t get is the outrage and demanding that money is needed to be thrown away on a player we will never use, it makes no sense anywhere on this planet

The outrage is that if Melnyk was willing to spend some money Ottawa could be acquiring actual assets in these trades for trash. Carolina got a first rd pick to take on Marleau. Do you see the difference in taking another teams trash and not forcing them to take a contract ? (I am not saying we should've got a first just giving you a recent example.)

I really am not sure how this is so confusing to you.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The outrage is that if Melnyk was willing to spend some money Ottawa could be acquiring actual assets in these trades for trash. Carolina got a first rd pick to take on Marleau. Do you see the difference in taking another teams trash and not forcing them to take a contract ? (I am not saying we should've got a first just giving you a recent example.)

upload_2019-7-31_17-21-29.jpeg

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

We were the ones moving trash here, everyone is acting like children throwing fits over losing made up shit we de didn't lose. It's not confusing it's hilarious

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone is expecting Melnyk to spend money to buy mid-to-late picks when he wouldn't even spend money to offer an appropriate deal to Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, etc.

Reactions: RaMai

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would argue the opposite, actually. The trade is just a symptom (a harmless symptom at that). The trade is not the problem. The problem is the fact the Melnyk is a cheap bastard with a crazy agenda. The exact same trade could have happened without the Melnyk problem. People spilling so much ink over such an insignificant trade detracts from the true problem. Melnyk. This is almost like when Trump says something totally ridiculous on twitter that gets people super riled up to distract from the ****ty policies he's doing behind the scenes. Stop zoning in on these insignificant things and focus on the core matters.
Thats kind of what i was saying. This trade if made by most other teams that don't need the capspace this year would be unremarkable and glossed over but because it is a symptom of a root problem that is so transparent yet we have org figureheads trying to convince us doesn't exist, fans are rightly calling it out.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
We were the ones moving trash here, everyone is acting like children throwing fits over losing made up **** we de didn't lose. It's not confusing it's hilarious

Ok but if we buried Condon or bought him out instead of attaching him to this deal we could've got an actual asset for taking Callahan is the point people are upset. Also again the reaction of people is yet again not because of one trade but all the trades leading up to this trade that paints a very clear picture.

Again I do not understand how this is confusing you.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I fail to see how an LTIR cap hit is "better" for us (a team $15M below the cap) than regular cap outside of the fact it saves Eugene money.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, it does not save EM any money, it saves the business entity called the Senators Sports & Entertainment money.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You know, when the one poster keeps making terrible arguments in favor of a money-saving trade that only benefits the owner, maybe it's time we stop arguing with him for pages on end?

Just a thought.

I just blocking anyone pro Melnyk now... it makes no sense to support the owner making money at the clubs expense... if they want to get off to Melnyk all the. Power to them

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It didn't, but a well run franchise uses the leverage of taking Callahan's contract to acquire assets, to help the team win, to increase revenues, to make money. The Ottawa Senators use that leverage to put $3m in Eugene's pocket.

Are people not allowed to be upset that the team is seemingly more focused on saving money than building a winning team?

In case you had not heard, the Senators recently started a tear down/ re-build, and are taking the "Draft route" to build a contending team.

Now is the time for saving money, not the time to spend to the cap.

Removing a goaltender, who was NOT going to play another minute for the Senators and was going to be paid 3 Million this year, is a positive for Senators Sports & Entertainment's operating budget for this season.

It does not put 3 million into EM pocket, it remains on the Senators Sports & Entertainment's books.

Unless you're accusing EM of illegally skimming money off of the Senators Sports & Entertainment's books?

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
How anyone can get excited by this deal because a Melnyk gets to save a few bucks is beyond me

The Sens moved a 158ish pick for a 152ish pick so that Melnyk. can save Condon salary

That’s the deal... that’s what happened

The only person that benefited was Melnyk from this deal.

Correction, Senators Sports & Entertainment gets to save a "few bucks", not EM.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I just blocking anyone pro Melnyk now... it makes no sense to support the owner making money at the clubs expense... if they want to get off to Melnyk all the. Power to them

When a business, such as Senators sports & entertainment, saves money, it benefits everyone connected with it.

The money saved by Senators sports & entertainment, by unloading an unwanted contract, for a player that was never going to don a Senator's jersey ever again, could be used to help sign someone like Colin White.

I don't know about you, but when I've ever made a suggestion, or a decision, that saved the Company I worked for money, they were very appreciative, as the saved money was used to improve/fix another need of the the company.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Well... no, not really. We're still rolling with possibly the worst goalie tandem in the league, though at least Sogaard & Gus are a somewhat intriguing pair to look forward to about 4-5 years from now.

I feel that wasn't really the intention of your post though, but "where Mike Condon was going to play" was super-low on my own list of concerns we had going forward, so I assume I'm an outlier on that one and the question didn't really apply to me.

Many thought Condon would block Gus which was silliness

Reactions: BonkTastic

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
When a business, such as Senators sports & entertainment, saves money, it benefits everyone connected with it.

The money saved by Senators sports & entertainment, by unloading an unwanted contract, for a player that was never going to don a Senator's jersey ever again, could be used to help sign someone like Colin White.

If the ~2 million savings from dumping Condon is required to sign Colin White, when we are already spending over 10 million underneath the cap floor, that is utterly pathetic

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Funny how when the league divides expansion fees among member clubs as per the leagues constitution, it in your words "goes to the owners" but when it's cost savings from a trade, it goes to the business entity that is a member of the league...

It's not funny, it's true. It's the owners who decide whether or not to allow another team to enter the league, and they're compensated for that.

Are you saying otherwise?

"Expansion fees would be shared among owners, who would not have to share that money with players. That makes the admission of new franchises an attractive prospect to many existing teams. Although the 2017-18 season has been presumed to be the target date, Bettman said that is not necessarily the case."
NHL affirms it will get hefty fees from potential expansion teams

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If the ~2 million savings from dumping Condon is required to sign Colin White, when we are already spending over 10 million underneath the cap floor, that is utterly pathetic

It's not required, but the savings of not paying a goaltender that you did not want playing anywhere in your organization, can be used to pay a player you do want to be playing in your organization ........... it's a win win.

If I'm buying a new car, and will have no need for my old one, why wouldn't I trade it in, or sell it, and use the value of the old car to reduce the cost of my new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad