Player Discussion Artem Anisimov (C)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Where we differ in this area is that I don’t think PD is incompetent and you do, which is fine.

I think a President of hockey operations, and at least one other AGM to run Belleville and do minor contracts would be fantastic for the team.

Of course an owner who properly funded an operation, even if we had to ebb and flow through rebuilds instead of staying perpetually at the cap, is most important.

It seems clear that we can’t have a full top notch staff until the ownership situation is sorted out.

Fair enough. :)

I have issues with the former GM too. :)

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
For sure you are right about the stronger group.

The second group though, at that time, did contribute in the playoffs. Phaneuf played a solid role. Ryan was our best forward, certainly highest scoring forward, during that run. Brassard was very effective until he injured his shoulder.

There's no question which group you'd rather have right now though. But I will point out that some of those guys in the group you wouldn't want is age related ineffectiveness.

I'm not so sure a couple years from now you don't see the same thing with Karlsson and Stone
They absolutely contributed in the playoffs, they just seemed to fall off a cliff the following year and we were already suffering from significant losses in Methot, Karlsson post surgery & Macarthur. Brassard was coming off surgery the next year which likely didn't help his case and he's never really been the same since. Phaneuf seemed stuck in mud and Bobby went back to just being Bobby. The goalies absolutely cratered that next year too, they were two of the biggest contributors to the collapse imo and they really haven't recovered still. Guys like Smith and Ceci continued to provide pedestrian performances way below their pay scale. While they performed admirably in the playoffs, they quickly turned in to a 30-35 mil collection of roster filler that next year.

I just saw a team so hamstrung by two main factors. The budget had them working with a peg leg as it was at only 65-68 mil in spending available. That would make it difficult for any core group to succeed under. Not being able to come close to any adequate replacement for Methot was a prime example. With half of that small budget being used on guys that just couldn't bring much of anything anymore, it's just too much to overcome.

It is a complex situation, and this is not a "management should have done better" post, but when you slice it down, you have one group that appears to mostly still be stars and leaders in the league and another group that could be almost entirely out of the NHL in the next year or two, some may even, or in Phaneufs case have been, paid to go away. My opinion is that if you had swapped out that 30-35 mil with a group that brings value closer to their pay scale, let Karlsson recover, and had cap ceiling spending ability, the core we had would have been successful, they are good players and realistically the few we had that still pulled their weight. Cap ceiling spending in Ottawa is not a reality which is fine, but it's still a major factor to be considered when evaluating whether or not that core group "got it done" because they were handicapped from the get go. With another 12-15 mil, you could be talking 2-3 more impact players, and with the 30-35 mil around them pulling their weight or close to, you've got a heck of a team imo with Karlsson, Stone & Duchene captaining the ship. Of course I'd like to include Hoffman because he's my favorite player, but i accept he's just a trigger man supplementary star for the most part.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
His numbers last year weren’t so bad.

Total dud this year.

The NHL pace is the fastest in the world. Hockey IQ and skating are 2 important factors that can help you to be able to follow. A guy like Mark Stone is not only able to follow but is elite because his IQ is easily top-5 in the league. He's like Bergeron on the Wing.

Anisimov is "only" 32 and Stepan is "only" 30 but being able to follow is no guarantee. Once you ran into injuries or are just slightly not in game shape, or have mental problems, or I don't know, just "aging"... you lose that fraction of second and it affects your NHL effectiveness big time

Remember Kovalev between his first and second season in Ottawa? In his 2nd year, his wrist shot was no longer a threat (just lost a fraction of second in his release), couldn't keep the opposition "honest", you knew he had to pass to be dangerous. A bit like Ryan after all his hand injuries. Having a good shot is very important for a forward

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
On one hand, I feel like he never got a fair chance this season, and got way too much undue flak because of pre-conceived opinions before the season even started.

On the other hand, he was keeping White out of the lineup, and White definitely needed to make his way onto the lineup before him. He was just the odd man out.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
On one hand, I feel like he never got a fair chance this season, and got way too much undue flak because of pre-conceived opinions before the season even started.

On the other hand, he was keeping White out of the lineup, and White definitely needed to make his way onto the lineup before him. He was just the odd man out.

Dorian claimed “white was handed everything last year” yesterday on the team. I think Arti was the staged piece to make White earn some ice time and credibility after last season. It appears to have lead to an improved player in the short term. I hope he doesn’t regress and I like the shift I think I see towards a 3C.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Dorian claimed “white was handed everything last year” yesterday on the team. I think Arti was the staged piece to make White earn some ice time and credibility after last season. It appears to have lead to an improved player in the short term. I hope he doesn’t regress and I like the shift I think I see towards a 3C.

Basically , yes. But the forum here wants Dorion to spell everything out for them

Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Mind games with your young players. Brilliant Pierre!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Need some flexibility to bring guys in.. I think he'll clear

Edit: He cleared.. late to the Arty Party

tenor.gif

Timing is weird ... Call Logan Brown up to the TS.. Send him back and waive Anisimov

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Did he clear waivers?

Anisimov has two goals and four points in 14 games this season. He cleared waivers on Feb. 11 when he was last waiver by the team.
The 32-year-old, who last played on March 10 against the Edmonton Oilers, carries a $4.55 million cap hit this season in the last year of his current contract.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If his salary was < $2.1M then he'd be nice insurance for a playoff team. Sadly it's more than double that.

Might have played his last NHL game at this point. Enjoy the KHL next year Arty. It's been real!!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Dorion has an answer for everything that goes wrong after his first move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad