Value of: Sens 2019 1st Rd Pick (Avs own)

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
And you are crazy to want Weber for another 8 years when he is already 33 years old. and makes just under 8 million.
Without contracts, Weber is better than EJ and Barrie. I wouldn’t trade for him ‘cause of his contract.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Weber @ 75% for OTT 1st 2019

straight up + whatever cap dump from COL to make it work.

Already strong at RD... did that stop SJ???

This is the worst deal I’ve seen on this site. Weber has been an average defenseman for years now, still has an enternity left on his contract, and is making close to 8 million a year. This is already an awful contract, could be the worst in the league is he doesn’t recover well from surgery...and you want to trade him for what is likely a top 5 draft pick?!

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Top 10-15 is crazy deep next year. COL is very likely looking at 2 lottery picks, they shouldn't move either of them.

Reactions: milehigh11

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wouldn't take Weber for free :laugh:

Major knee surgery and already 33 years old set to make 7.5M for another 8 years? :laugh: Yeah, wouldn't take on that contract for free.

More like Weber for the next 4 or 5 years from age 33-36/37. His contract is designed for him not to play those last 3 years and possibly the last 4 years. His contract is actually better than Burn's contract who is the same age. The minute the Habs trade Weber, the trolls disappear. Just like with Subban before and Patch/Galchenyuk this season. I'm not worried about Weber's knee. More worried about the foot to be honest. We will know very soon if he gets any setbacks. We have to remember his knee was fully repaired vs a temp. fix. That's why he is out for 4-5 months.

Wouldn't take Weber for free? Why not, one of the best coaches in the world said he would take him? Go laugh somewhere else with your BS

As far as the Avs trading the Sens 1st. What team trades a potential lottery pick with no protection? It's not happening people.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is the worst deal I’ve seen on this site. Weber has been an average defenseman for years now, still has an enternity left on his contract, and is making close to 8 million a year. This is already an awful contract, could be the worst in the league is he doesn’t recover well from surgery...and you want to trade him for what is likely a top 5 draft pick?!

I stop reading after the bolded part. One of the dumbest things I have read in a while on HF boards. Weber is elite level at scoring goals for a defenseman and is very good in his own end. I would say he is no longer a top 10 NHL defenseman but a definite top 15.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know how his contract is designed? It's designed for him not to play at the age of 38, 39, and 40 where is only making $1M in actual salary. At age 37, it drops to $3M.

So Ron Hainsey can be a top 4D at age 37 but Weber can't? Come on man. Give your head a shake. Weber's age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. He got a freak shot to his foot and played hurt for many games after last year which likely caused his knee problem. He going to be fine and very well rested.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Time to revisit this guy after the Sharks fleeced the Senators.

The obvious answer is the Avs keep the pick and laugh to the bank no matter where it ends up, but what would your team give up for it pre-lottery and can even throw out hypotheticals or if it lands at 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5th overall?

Can you imagine this center depth:

Mackinnon
Hughes
Jost

and the central keeps getting stronger

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The only plausible piece that would have returned this pick moved last week.

You really have to treat this pick like a Detroit or Buffalo are treating their upcoming pick.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well there still is a lottery for picks 1,2 and 3. A team picking 15th and just missed the playoffs, could end up picking 1,2 or 3. Even best odds of winning, are 82% chance of not winning.

Sens had second worst record and picked 4th in this draft.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well there still is a lottery for picks 1,2 and 3. A team picking 15th and just missed the playoffs, could end up picking 1,2 or 3. Even best odds of winning, are 82% chance of not winning.

Yes, but if the Avs finish 30th and the Sens finish 31st they could have a 32% chance of winning :sarcasm:

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I stop reading after the bolded part. One of the dumbest things I have read in a while on HF boards. Weber is elite level at scoring goals for a defenseman and is very good in his own end. I would say he is no longer a top 10 NHL defenseman but a definite top 15.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know how his contract is designed? It's designed for him not to play at the age of 38, 39, and 40 where is only making $1M in actual salary. At age 37, it drops to $3M.

So Ron Hainsey can be a top 4D at age 37 but Weber can't? Come on man. Give your head a shake. Weber's age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. He got a freak shot to his foot and played hurt for many games after last year which likely caused his knee problem. He going to be fine and very well rested.

Weber’s offense is much more impressive than his defensive ability, which has been average since Suter stopped dragging him around the ice.

Calling him a top 15 defenseman this day is hilarious. Maybe top 15 at getting skated around.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Getting the 4th overall pick from Ottawa ain't exactly a doomsday scenario for the Avalanche.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Weber’s offense is much more impressive than his defensive ability, which has been average since Suter stopped dragging him around the ice.

Calling him a top 15 defenseman this day is hilarious. Maybe top 15 at getting skated around.

Weber is a top 15 NHL defenseman IMO and you can laugh all you want. I would give you the debate as being top 20. Weber was considered a top 10 NHL defenseman prior to being traded to the Habs and his age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. He is elite level as a goal scoring defenseman and his play in his own end is also very good. Nothing has changed with his style of play or performance. He is recovering from his injuries at the moment so we will have to see how he looks when he gets back.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Oh yeah...he's awesome and he's only getting better!!!

He is awesome. And to respond to your sarcasm little game, he is not getting better and WILL decline. But even on the decline, he will be better than any of those RHD at least until at least 36 yo.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
He is awesome. And to respond to your sarcasm little game, he is not getting better and WILL decline. But even on the decline, he will be better than any of those RHD at least until at least 36 yo.
He might be easily better defender than Barrie but EJ I think it’s close. IMO EJ is severely underrated here people doesn’t watch him enough to see how reliable he can be. TBH I think him and Weber are very similar. Only team that would give up a 1st for Weber is a contending team still would be surprising since he played only 26 games last season that would be a risk with his 8M$ tied to him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

He was, and is most likely still better than both EJ and Barrie, I agree. But he's currently out till mid December from a knee injury, after missing basically a whole season from fractured foot. Both of those are injuries that could massively affect his game when he comes back. There's a good chance he comes back and doesn't miss a beat, but there's also a significant chance he's not the same Weber as he was before.

But it doesn't matter if he's better than EJ and Barrie, because he carries a catastrophic cap hit for the next 8 years. I would take him for free and deal with the consequences later, but if I had give up anything of significance it's way too risky.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
not sure anyone last few years but Dahlen would top 3 in this draft, for an idea how valuable the pick could be should Ottawa bottom out

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He was, and is most likely still better than both EJ and Barrie, I agree. But he's currently out till mid December from a knee injury, after missing basically a whole season from fractured foot. Both of those are injuries that could massively affect his game when he comes back. There's a good chance he comes back and doesn't miss a beat, but there's also a significant chance he's not the same Weber as he was before.

But it doesn't matter if he's better than EJ and Barrie, because he carries a catastrophic cap hit for the next 8 years. I would take him for free and deal with the consequences later, but if I had give up anything of significance it's way too risky.

Since the cap recapture would end up getting picked up by somebody else, I don’t think the contract is quite as bad as people say. Weber will retire when his salary (and likely his play) takes a nose dive in a few more years.

That said, he’s worth nowhere near Ottawa’s 1st. It’d be some b level spare futures.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Lol so coming off major surgery, a guy who hasn't been healthy for the better part of the past 2 years is apparently still a fantastic d-man and better than a guy who led all defenseman in scoring in PPG last year?? Uh-huh...tell me more! :laugh:

Oh habs fans, never change. I remember arguing with people on here on which rookie is better Paul Stastny or Guillaume Latendresse. Yeah, they shut up about that pretty quick. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad