Value of: Sens 2019 1st Rd Pick (Avs own)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
All I have to say is that i'm ecstatic about the pick, but I really wish there was less talk about this on the main boards. I know how shitty it was being the laughing stock of the NHL, no need to rub salt into the wound.

Season hasn't even started yet, nothing really to discuss until the TDL and beyond.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Realistically, it is only traded after they know what position it is going to be in.

This and only this. If it's traded, it will be anywhere between the lottery and the draft.

75% chance they pick with it.
15% they move it for a roster player.
10% chance they move it along with their own first and move up.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I would trade it if I was the GM. It’s worth more right now than it will be come draft day.

Assuming that the Sens are dead last before they play a game...

Vegas started last season under the same pretext and we saw how that ended.

There is so much parity in the NHL so you cannot assume they are dead. They have Anderson who is capable of Vezina caliber goaltending. This pick could very easily not even be a lottery pick.

Right now though there are people who would value this pick as equal to Jack Hughes and if you can haul in a king’s ransom for that I absolutely would.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would trade it if I was the GM. It’s worth more right now than it will be come draft day.

There is so much parity in the NHL so you cannot assume they are dead. They have Anderson who is capable of Vezina caliber goaltending. This pick could very easily not even be a lottery pick.

Right now though there are people who would value this pick as equal to Jack Hughes and if you can haul in a king’s ransom for that I absolutely would.

You aren’t wrong on value but you still can’t trade it. The only way for Sakic to lose in this situation is to trade the pick that becomes Hughes. Even if the odds are against it, why risk it? And because only a handful of people on the planet will ever know what trade you might have turned down, there’s effectively no downside to holding onto the pick.

The one way I could see it being moved is if there’s a trade for the worse of our two first rounders. That protects us from giving up Hughes but is still a pretty valuable piece, likely a mid 1st at worst.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Looks up how many top 5 picks have been moved in the past 10ish years in deals that don't include a pick a few spots away coming back in return.

Ohh thats right, no one ever trades these picks.

Especially considering the top end talent in this years draft I have no idea how a team would give up something that would be more worth while to the Avs than a Hughes, Kappo, Dach or Turcotte (sp?)

Like it would have to be something like, "we'll give you Barzal"

Reactions: Lemonlimey

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Theres not any GM who should value it as if its Jack Hughes, if they do I agree, trade it now.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Weber @ 75% for OTT 1st 2019

straight up + whatever cap dump from COL to make it work.

Already strong at RD... did that stop SJ???
SJ got Karlsson for peanuts. You’re asking Ott 1st which is basically a top 5-10 pick. Sorry but I think Avs better be careful with contracts we have Rants and the kids to sign with probably Barrie soon if he doesn’t get traded. By the time we become contender Weber will probably be 37-38 years old and I think that Makar/Timmins will be ready for top 4 roles without having to give a 1st with the salary he makes.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Weber has a terrible deal and you can’t retain more than 50%. Sens lineup keeps getting worse with each trade. They are are likely going to finish last this season.

Habs want the Sens pick offer Drouin + HABs 2019 1st.

Reactions: Brett44

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Weber isn't better than EJ and Barrie at this point. That's super homerism to even think he is. Weber is 33 and will miss the entire year due to knee surgery. No thanks to a top 5 pick for that.

That is just bad all around.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

SJ has probably one of, if the not the, oldest cores in the league, and are trying to make that final push for a stanley cup, because that window is closing, and fast.

The avs on the other hand, probably have one of the younger cores int he league, and i dont even think the largest of Avs homers would brand them contenders (unless someone with the username of AvsHomer shower up, then they'd probably do it).

Remarkably different situations - not to mention the SJ sharks got Karlsson for what largely amounts to not a whole lot. Meanwhile, youre asking for a top 5 pick for a defenseman who is a) not as good, and b) what? 6 years older? Maybe weber is under contract for longer, but quite honestly, thats not exactly a good thing.

Reactions: Spilot23

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
This Avs’ fan would take Weber over EJ and Barrie.
I probably might for a couple season but sure as hell wouldn't give OTT 1st for him. We don't know Rantanen's contract demand, we have Jost, Compher, Kerfoot and Zadorov to get signed next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad