Player Discussion Send Down or Keep Up?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wonder if it really was such a bad game until he was benched? I may be stupid to use time for this, but I wanted to know what was going on in the one period he played with Drai:

There were 5 penalties, which means there actually weren't too many 5-on-5 shifts. In one of those Drai scored a goal, where Pulju played a part too. I went through the GDT and I found only one negative comment and it was from someone who's usually first to do that.

So he may have been quiet and not playing up to his potential, but I didn't see signs of it being terrible, especially as the EJ said they thought Pulju was strong off the puck and the demotion was surprising.

I didn't see what happened on the 4th line, but the goals against weren't his fault.

He had two ugly turnovers and a poor backcheck (not the worst offender on the ice) on a goal against.

It is dissapointing that he played well enough on the 3rd line to get promoted, then almost immediately gets benched after a couple of games where the blender was in full effect because of injuries and tons of penalties.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He had two ugly turnovers and a poor backcheck (not the worst offender on the ice) on a goal against.

It is dissapointing that he played well enough on the 3rd line to get promoted, then almost immediately gets benched after a couple of games where the blender was in full effect because of injuries and tons of penalties.

Okay, thanks for the info! But as for the goal against, are you talking about the very first goal against the Oilers or the one were he played in the 4th line? As for the one in the 4th line from what I could tell he was the highest forward and couldn't quite catch Malkin, but he ended up playing his stick away. However, the puck was already elsewhere and ended up in the goal.

E: I trust what you and others say about Pulju, but on paper it looks like Puljujarvi had maybe 3 minutes in the first line (altogether 10 minutes so 30% would be 3 minutes) in which he at least played a part in one goal. So the production wasn't the problem in that game as some said, but as for other things I can't really say.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Sekera has nothing to do with the expansion draft as his nmc expires after this year, the problem is Kris Russell.

What if begging Lucic doesn't work?

Paying Seattle not to take Puljujarvi or Bear is an option but not a very good one.

Wrong, both Russel and Sekera have full NMC right now and it changes to limited NMC after this year.
By the time we get to the expansion draft they'll be on the last year of their contracts and we'd probably have to bribe Seattle to take one of them even if they did waive their NMC to be unprotected in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Send Pulju and Bouch down, keep Yams up. I think Yams is ready for the NHL.. his game is well rounded he just needs to find his scoring touch.
He definitely looks like he is growing into the league.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Wrong, both Russel and Sekera have full NMC right now and it changes to limited NMC after this year.
By the time we get to the expansion draft they'll be on the last year of their contracts and we'd probably have to bribe Seattle to take one of them even if they did waive their NMC to be unprotected in the expansion draft.

Sekera's changes to modified no trade clause after this year. Which I think means we would not need to protect him.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
If you have to think about it, the answer is to send them down.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Jesse and Kailer should both go down the second Rattie is healthy.

Nuge CMcD Rattie
Reider Drai Chiasson
Lucic Strome Drizzy
Juj Brodziak Kass

Reactions: McOvechking

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Good. If we were losing badly and needed offensive from the back-end I'd say keep him but this is best for his long-term development and our expansion draft. Love the player and he's already an NHLer.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Good call on Bouchard, one more year was needed to season his game. Hopefully he comes back next year with better skating and defence, then he can play top 4 minutes for us. We have a good one here!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad