Waived: Senators waive Alex Burrows, Johnny Oduya and Jim O'brien

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Jonathan Dahlen and Rasmus Dahlin are two different guys. The first one is the prospect they gave up in the trade for Burrows last year at the deadline.

Putting Burrows on waivers is admitting that they gave up their prospect Dahlen for nothing. That's poor asset management.

The Burrows trade was a huge mistake.

Ya, got it now. I was thinking about R. Dahlin.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Burrows trade was not a mistake. What looks like a mistake was the 2 year contract extension.

He's a 25 point player and there were better options out there. Hanzal would've been a great pickup for them. Turris/Brassard/Hanzal/Pageau is great center depth.

If they were going to take a chance on Burrows, they should've lowered the price.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Another genius move by Dorion.... give the guy in his mid 30s a 2 year contract extension before he even plays a game for you. How could that have gone wrong?

Feb 24, 2017
Another genius move by Dorion.... give the guy in his mid 30s a 2 year contract extension before he even plays a game for you. How could that have gone wrong?
That’s the 40% benning
Gave sutter a 5 year retirement contract before he played a game

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
The Burrows trade was not a mistake. What looks like a mistake was the 2 year contract extension.

Yes it was because they totally overestimated his value. They gave up a pretty decent prospect for a guy that should have retired. They they gave him a nice fat contract. Ottawa is cash poor so they are making trades for cash. This was another 5 million wasted. That is worth about 2 2nds.

Feb 24, 2017
Yes it was because they totally overestimated his value. They gave up a pretty decent prospect for a guy that should have retired. They they gave him a nice fat contract. Ottawa is cash poor so they are making trades for cash. This was another 5 million wasted. That is worth about 2 2nds.
They gambled and lost. They wanted to try and win the Stanley Cup and thought Burrows’ Playoff history and playstyle would help them achieve it. I’ll take that over teams being chickenshit with hoarding assets cause it’s “not time yet.”

Imagine Lombardi was like that with my LAK and didn’t go for the carters and Richards and gabbys

Reactions: SlimCharles

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
They gambled and lost. They wanted to try and win the Stanley Cup and thought Burrows’ Playoff history and playstyle would help them achieve it. I’ll take that over teams being chicken**** with hoarding assets cause it’s “not time yet.”

Imagine Lombardi was like that with my LAK and didn’t go for the carters and Richards and gabbys
I agree with this statement

Some of us in Canuck land regret that Mike Gillis didn't do more in the 2011 trade deadline to get us a top 6 winger. Should have just sold the farm for that once chance to win the cup.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Yeah, that seems possible. Aside from the massive arena being built in downtown Ottawa that is.
Dion phaneuf , Waved 2 vets decent vets , Derick Brassard gone for picks / prospects , Kyle Turris traded . Duchane under preforming , erik karlsson in limbo unsure if resigning. Aging roster. Unlikly to win a cup in the next 3-4 years with current roster sounds like a rebuild to me

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I agree with this statement

Some of us in Canuck land regret that Mike Gillis didn't do more in the 2011 trade deadline to get us a top 6 winger. Should have just sold the farm for that once chance to win the cup.

The Canucks were 1st in goals, goals against, PK and PP in 2011. They had 6 players who scored 50 points the year before in Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Samuelsson and Burrows.

They also had 6 defenders capable of playing top 4 minutes in Salo, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff and Ballard and had 2 goalies capable of being elite #1 goalies. Add in the best 3rd line centre in the league in Malhotra and fantastic utility players in Hansen and Torres and you have one of the best NHL teams in the past 10 years.

The team was not able to afford the cap hit of a top 6 forward Gillis did a great job of filling in the teams only need in depth players and acquired Higgins and Lapierre at bargains. Higgins in 2011 was absolutely a more valuable player than Burrows was in 2017.

I agree that the Canucks could hve pushed for a top 6 forward in 2012 but they didn’t have the cap space unless a team took on Ballard’s contract.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They gambled and lost. They wanted to try and win the Stanley Cup and thought Burrows’ Playoff history and playstyle would help them achieve it. I’ll take that over teams being chicken**** with hoarding assets cause it’s “not time yet.”

Hmmm. Cater, Richards, Gaborik in either their primes or close to, and a 36 year old Corpse of Burrows?

One things not like the other....

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Dion phaneuf , Waved 2 vets decent vets , Derick Brassard gone for picks / prospects , Kyle Turris traded . Duchane under preforming , erik karlsson in limbo unsure if resigning. Aging roster. Unlikly to win a cup in the next 3-4 years with current roster sounds like a rebuild to me
Bless us with more wise prophecies, Oracle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->