Waived: Senators waive Alex Burrows, Johnny Oduya and Jim O'brien

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
And Dorion got an extension?

It's hard to believe they will be able to retain any player of significance going forward. Tough spot for their fans to be sure.

Yes, I'm sure waiving a dirty player who's been suspended already this season while playing some bottom six minutes, and an over the hill Oduya are what will keep players out of Ottawa.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Yes, I'm sure waiving a dirty player who's been suspended already this season while playing some bottom six minutes, and an over the hill Oduya are what will keep players out of Ottawa.
Comment was more to how he wasted a pretty good asset acquiring Burrows and then less than year later hi-lighted his mistake. One of many. Can't make a player with options want to be in Ottawa.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
As much as I like mocking the golden onion, this is being done to improve these guys’ trade stock.

Teams can trade a 7th for them and keep them in the minors for depth, without worrying about someone taking them.

Reactions: sensfan44

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As much as I like mocking the golden onion, this is being done to improve these guys’ trade stock.

Teams can trade a 7th for them and keep them in the minors for depth, without worrying about someone taking them.

That could work for Oduya. Burrows, with another year at $2.5 million, likely isn't going to be traded. At 50% retained, it drops him to $1.25 million. Even if buried next season, Burrows counts $300K against the cap for another team.

member 105785

time to trade Vanek and a dman and pick up Oduya and Burrows, come on Benning don't **** this up, it's easy

EDIT: nvm burrows has another year, offer to take him at 50% retained

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Waiving Oduya makes sense. We all know how cheap Melnyk is and he doesn't want Oduya reaching milestones to collect his games played bonus. Burrows is a plug, and is a waste of a contract spot. Accept the rebuild and make sure you finish in the bottom 3 to have a good shot at Dahlen.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Does nobody think maybe Melnyk has a deal with Buttman to move the team to Seattle and he's dumping salary every which way he can so he can get a fresh start . Top third of the arena is tarped off because nobody is buying tickets so he may as well move the team .

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Does nobody think maybe Melnyk has a deal with Buttman to move the team to Seattle and he's dumping salary every which way he can so he can get a fresh start . Top third of the arena is tarped off because nobody is buying tickets so he may as well move the team .
Considering Bettman has been angered by Melnycks crap several times in the past year or so I doubt it. He's closer to one more boneheaded move and the league calling a BoG meeting to force him to sell. Oh ya, and Bettman has been all over helping the Sens (not Melnyck) win our downtown arena, he's not moving them he is actually helping them. Never thought I would praise Bettman, it takes a special kind of idiot to surpass him and our owner has done it with flying colours.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

No. Expansion is good for the league, relocation is not. Ottawa will keep their team, they have the fans to support it. The only real question is if anyone can find a way to run Melnyk out of town.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Aren't they tanking and going for Dahlen as their #1 pick this year was top ten protected? Might have misunderstood something in your post.

Jonathan Dahlen and Rasmus Dahlin are two different guys. The first one is the prospect they gave up in the trade for Burrows last year at the deadline.

Putting Burrows on waivers is admitting that they gave up their prospect Dahlen for nothing. That's poor asset management.

The Burrows trade was a huge mistake.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
The NHL wants the revenues (projected at six hundred million) in expansion fees from Seattle.

Melynk may move the Senators to Quebec, which has an NHL arena but no team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The NHL wants the revenues (projected at six hundred million) in expansion fees from Seattle.

Melynk may move the Senators to Quebec, which has an NHL arena but no team.

Yeah, that seems possible. Aside from the massive arena being built in downtown Ottawa that is.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I like when GMs accept and address their mistakes instead of spending years conjuring up nonsensical reasons as to why what they did was correct and everyone else is just too stupid to realize it.

That's the third time this season. Smith, Beleskey and now Burrows/Oduya. Good for their teams and good on the GM.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
No. Expansion is good for the league, relocation is not. Ottawa will keep their team, they have the fans to support it. The only real question is if anyone can find a way to run Melnyk out of town.

It worked well in Winnipeg. But it also worked well in Vegas so far.

Back on topic, Burrows is a goof but I can see him going to a playoff bound team to add depth. Maybe even the Jets.

Reactions: SensFactor

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ottawa is the biggest mess in the entire NHL. Burrows' decline was incredibly foreseeable yet, apparently not for Ottawa.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Jonathan Dahlen and Rasmus Dahlin are two different guys. The first one is the prospect they gave up in the trade for Burrows last year at the deadline.

Putting Burrows on waivers is admitting that they gave up their prospect Dahlen for nothing. That's poor asset management.

The Burrows trade was a huge mistake.

Definitely poor asset management, but I'm not sure why it gets judged so much. They essentially gave up Dahlen (a 2nd round pick) for Burrows. They were buyers and made a big playoff run.

The leafs gave up a 2nd for Boyle and lost in the first round. Had him for 2 months.

Minnesota gave a 1st 2nd and 4th for Hanzal. Lost in the first round. Had him for 2 months.

Why don't more people chirp those GMs?

I hated the trade and Burrows didn't really do much. But there are trades like that all the time.

Anyways I really hope someone claims him.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Definitely poor asset management, but I'm not sure why it gets judged so much. They essentially gave up Dahlen (a 2nd round pick) for Burrows. They were buyers and made a big playoff run.

The leafs gave up a 2nd for Boyle and lost in the first round. Had him for 2 months.

Minnesota gave a 1st 2nd and 4th for Hanzal. Lost in the first round. Had him for 2 months.

Why don't more people chirp those GMs?

I hated the trade and Burrows didn't really do much. But there are trades like that all the time.

Anyways I really hope someone claims him.
Well they also extended him to a bad contract then waived him

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Bettman needs to fine the Sens for all the BS their owner is pulling. Its bad for the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->