Senators Soiree 2019 Saturday February 9

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
This thread wasn't created to be a humble brag, no siree.
All this 'landlord' talk of Brady still referring and acting as if Stone was still his landlord is strange; he doesn't live there anymore. And I find it odd despite how much Brady and Stone were willing to talk it somehow doesn't get mentioned...

Talking to Brady, there was Stone in the vicinity and I told Brady to tell his Landlord to continue being a Landlord into next year and I said it loud enough for Stone to hear and they burst out laughing with Colin White chuckling too.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
All this 'landlord' talk of Brady still referring and acting as if Stone was still his landlord is strange; he doesn't live there anymore. And I find it odd despite how much Brady and Stone were willing to talk it somehow doesn't get mentioned...

Perhaps it’s a running a joke, one that fans have enjoyed after his comments earlier in the season, and at an event with fans he ran with it again...

Coladin said he joked about it to him so perhaps That’s how it was revived for the evening? I wouldn’t read into it personally.

Reactions: coladin

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Thanks for the party reports! I find Duchene super hard to read. He is smooth and says all the right things, and while I don't doubt he means them, I still get a vague sense that maybe he's choosing emphasis to manage his own reputation. Like he's laying the ground work to swear "it's not you, it's me" when he finally breaks up with us. Like maybe you need to get into an Uber with him to find out what's really up. LOL.

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Man, he said so much. The things that struck me was how long he has coached. 22 years and he is a year older than me, 47. Asked him the best player he ever coached and he said Crosby. When Crosby was a kid, and other teammates would have a beer or at team dinners have dessert, he would not. Guy said he would practically beg him to take a bite of Apple pie, or ice cream. He was and still is driven to be the best, and would not indulge in dessert, as a 15yr old or 16yr old.

I asked him even after OT wins, playoff wins, he can't fist pump or show some happiness. "The moment you enjoy it, that's when it's over"

"Really? Sounds pretty miserable". He paused , looked at me straight in the he for a couple seconds and said "Ya. It is." Hmmm

Guy is very smart, but very much a player's coach. I gave him grief on the 11-7. He was very approachable about it, but his rationale is he rather bring them all along bit by bit, keep them all playing, keep them developing, keep them in a position to make them feel good about themselves. He gave an example of Lajoie, when injured , he put Wolanin in his spot (can't recall when). He said he could not handle it, and fans have to be patient. He says that Lajoie might not stand out as much as Wolanin, who he considers a sure Top 4, but he plays the least sheltered minutes. He loves the progress of Jaros, and says next year the pain of this year will show in their development.

He struck me as someone who was very concerned with the well being of his players behind the scenes, and said that we have no idea how much is going on behind the scenes with injuries, and their mental well being. So he is happy with their progress when taking the whole picture into account.

It was very interesting to get to talk to him at length, great insight and he works extremely hard.
Thanks for posting this. I'm so conflicted on Guy. He drives me crazy and I think we should move on from him this season, but I'm also convinced he's the only true off-ice professional in this organization. He seems like a class act, and extremely smart about hockey, but maybe that's what makes him so stubborn.

This post also makes it easier to understand why he wasn't fired in the summer or early this season. He is obviously working extremely hard and is trying to set these guys up for the future.

Also, half the reason I still watch the games is to watch his reactions after shitty calls lol.

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Also, I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences even though a bunch of posters have made this so negative.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the party reports! I find Duchene super hard to read. He is smooth and says all the right things, and while I don't doubt he means them, I still get a vague sense that maybe he's choosing emphasis to manage his own reputation. Like he's laying the ground work to swear "it's not you, it's me" when he finally breaks up with us. Like maybe you need to get into an Uber with him to find out what's really up. LOL.
I know what you mean, but he was very comfortable chatting, a big eye contact guy and seems like a genuine guy. I didn't realize, compared to most of the string beans on this team, how much thicker he is. He could bail, but did mention how nice it was being close to home, his family especially with a newborn. He asked questions about my life and such, so just a very engaging guy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for posting this. I'm so conflicted on Guy. He drives me crazy and I think we should move on from him this season, but I'm also convinced he's the only true off-ice professional in this organization. He seems like a class act, and extremely smart about hockey, but maybe that's what makes him so stubborn.

This post also makes it easier to understand why he wasn't fired in the summer or early this season. He is obviously working extremely hard and is trying to set these guys up for the future.

Also, half the reason I still watch the games is to watch his reactions after ****ty calls lol.
I have stated repeatedly that I want him canned. It was tough to still have that sentiment after talking with him.

I remembered something else as he said so much. Discussing the injuries that derailed the season to Chabot, Duchene etc...and he was saying he has to do the best with the cards that he has, and kind of shrugged moving forward in a manner like saying "if you know what I mean", maybe as a dig to his GM. He said "who am I going to put up there...Boro?", in an incredulous manner. "I mean, he is good at what he does, but let's not kid ourselves" . So , I think he is trying to say the D is too young, which is why 11-7 works for him. He truly doesn't want to hurt their development.

I don't know what is going to happen with him, but I cannot take away the steps that the young guys have taken. But I would rather another coach in the end.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Call me shocked that the CEO/assistant GM and owner of the Ottawa Senators decided to skip the event. :rolleyes:
I don't know if he has ever been before, so don't know if it is the norm. Obviously, not someone you would want at this particular event. Although the COO and Aimee girl were there. she is a pretty lady. He wore a suit with suspenders...is that coming back? :laugh:

Reactions: NorthCoast

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I know what you mean, but he was very comfortable chatting, a big eye contact guy and seems like a genuine guy. I didn't realize, compared to most of the string beans on this team, how much thicker he is. He could bail, but did mention how nice it was being close to home, his family especially with a newborn. He asked questions about my life and such, so just a very engaging guy.

I have no idea if this translates to being good in the locker room/effective captain material, but Duchene seems to be more comfortable and engaging with media and fans than Stone, who can come across as stiff and awkward. Again, this may have nothing to do with which of the two is a better team leader, just my personal observation.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Perhaps it’s a running a joke, one that fans have enjoyed after his comments earlier in the season, and at an event with fans he ran with it again...

Coladin said he joked about it to him so perhaps That’s how it was revived for the evening? I wouldn’t read into it personally.
Perhaps you're right. I'm just assuming one with connections would be aware, thus avoiding the joke altogether.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Looks like CIC now gives the Sens a B+

Ottawa Senators Foundation
If I am not mistaken, B+ refers specifically to how transparent the organization is in the form of reporting what it does with the funds.

The data hasn't been updated since last June, so the most recent overhead cost is 54%. I'm just hoping after that was made public by CBC, that they have "trimmed the fat" as they say, and brought that down.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Also, I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences even though a bunch of posters have made this so negative.

Yeah, I was a bit turned off by the original post as it seemed like a humble brag, but the whole event sounds like it was well attended and fun. Must have been pretty cool for those lucky enough to be able to afford to go. Can't blame them for that.

Reactions: Smeddy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I have no idea if this translates to being good in the locker room/effective captain material, but Duchene seems to be more comfortable and engaging with media and fans than Stone, who can come across as stiff and awkward. Again, this may have nothing to do with which of the two is a better team leader, just my personal observation.
If I had to guess, from the few times I have run into Stone, he clearly has a media persona, and definitely a very cool guy persona, chatty and always smiling type in public. Wherever the boys were dancing, he was in the middle lol

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I will add that I also had a chat with our GM Pierre Dorion, and I got a bad feeling from him...if I were asked of which person I met from the Senators, being players and staff, our GM was the most disappointing. My friend and I both got the same bad vibe off him. Like he is way up and above anyone else. I am not sure if its a defense mechanism in his personality to act like that in this type of environment, or simply a stuck up goofball. As we were talking with him, his eyes were wandering the room as if to see who else is around and who is watching him.....very ingenuine. I will put it to you guys this way, if I were to meet him again, I would not give him the time of day to speak to him.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I will add that I also had a chat with our GM Pierre Dorion, and I got a bad feeling from him...if I were asked of which person I met from the Senators, being players and staff, our GM was the most disappointing. My friend and I both got the same bad vibe off him. Like he is way up and above anyone else. I am not sure if its a defense mechanism in his personality to act like that in this type of environment, or simply a stuck up goofball. As we were talking with him, his eyes were wandering the room as if to see who else is around and who is watching him.....very ingenuine. I will put it to you guys this way, if I were to meet him again, I would not give him the time of day to speak to him.

Considering how bad he is at public communication (and his role as a GM), I would have hoped that he was a super humble and nice guy to talk with away from the rink..

Disappointing to say the least, but its just more reinforcement for the belief that he's a moron who's got an ego, and in way over is head as an NHL gm.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad