Senators Soiree 2019 Saturday February 9

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I imagine the whole evening had the same feeling as an office Christmas party where everyone knows they are getting laid off once the holidays are over.
They were actually partying quite hard, Brady was ripping it up on the dance floor, with Stone always nearby lol. To a man, they were all engaging and happy to indulge crazy fans for pics. Won't forget a night like last night for a while!

Toasted Brady who was drinking beer legally and said to him, looking at his beer "you liking Canada" and he replied "Effin' eh!" (Please substitute "effin" with the f word)

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
The team of boys seem to be quite united. They are all willing to chat about cars and just life in general....our #95 was flying solo as his wife was at home with the new born and he was very excited about being a new father...he said he loves it and cannot wait for the baby to interact a bit more as right now the baby is in the eat,sleep and poop stage. If I were to get a vibe off him in our conversation, he says he reads all the papers and that there is a lot of $hit printed about him and he could not give a rats ass about the prints. But he certainly sounded like he loves the team and the city....if I were to venture a guess, he might stay.

Talking to Brady, there was Stone in the vicinity and I told Brady to tell his Landlord to continue being a Landlord into next year and I said it loud enough for Stone to hear and they burst out laughing with Colin White chuckling too. These guys look so tight with each other, in my heart, it looks like they want to stay together.

Nilsson was a cool cat too, tall as hell and loved to talk watches. He is watch collector as are most of these players. It was a great night, they raised a huge amount of money for an exceptional cause.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
They were actually partying quite hard, Brady was ripping it up on the dance floor, with Stone always nearby lol. To a man, they were all engaging and happy to indulge crazy fans for pics. Won't forget a night like last night for a while!

Toasted Brady who was drinking beer legally and said to him, looking at his beer "you liking Canada" and he replied "Effin' eh!" (Please substitute "effin" with the f word)

So what would be a better office analogy?

A bunch of unpaid temps feeling excited because they've heard rumours a new boss is coming that might actually pay them for their hard work?

Or the ELC guys are turning to booze as the only way to get through their dead-end jobs until their contracts are up?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Thanks Colly! Sounds like a blast

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The team of boys seem to be quite united. They are all willing to chat about cars and just life in general....our #95 was flying solo as his wife was at home with the new born and he was very excited about being a new father...he said he loves it and cannot wait for the baby to interact a bit more as right now the baby is in the eat,sleep and poop stage. If I were to get a vibe off him in our conversation, he says he reads all the papers and that there is a lot of $hit printed about him and he could not give a rats ass about the prints. But he certainly sounded like he loves the team and the city....if I were to venture a guess, he might stay.

Talking to Brady, there was Stone in the vicinity and I told Brady to tell his Landlord to continue being a Landlord into next year and I said it loud enough for Stone to hear and they burst out laughing with Colin White chuckling too. These guys look so tight with each other, in my heart, it looks like they want to stay together.

Nilsson was a cool cat too, tall as hell and loved to talk watches. He is watch collector as are most of these players. It was a great night, they raised a huge amount of money for an exceptional cause.

Thanks for the stories man, sounds like a fun night.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks Colly! Sounds like a blast
It was! TMZ report incoming...

Favourite Sens to talk with last night were Duchene (talk family). What was interesting to me is his persona and we talked fatherhood stuff. You don't really want to talk hockey with these guys. I was lamenting how fun it was and how they grow up so fast. I told him my son is finishing Midget hockey and he nearly choked on his drinking. "Holy Eff, you don't effing look like it!" Thanks Matt! He is happy to be really close to home.

Stone, we talked cars as we actually picked up our Benzes at Star Motors at the same time. Big car guy. Looking at him, he looks very skinny.

Demelo has a future in comedy. Telling us stories about growing up in London. He loves SJ, but is loving Ottawa more. He felt no matter what he did in SJ, he was never going to get anywhere and loves playing here. He is Portuguese, and married his HS sweetheart. Lives in Westboro area and all the great food...Supply and Demand being his favorite. Still looking for a good Portuguese restaurant. Couldn't think of one!

Dzingel and Dorion were pretty chummy and noticed Dorion and Diznger high fiving guys, maybe it was contract day! His fiance is gorgeous.

Harpur was a great conversation. We joked about his hands and I said at the beginning of his fight he looked like Jack Nicholson saying "Here' Johnny". He laughed and said he was taught to not clench his jaw when he fights, dangerous for the tongue and teeth? Talked about his dad a bit.

Dorion looked pretty relaxed. Told him good luck and hope everything works out. Ugh.

White, Chabot, Tkachuk, hang out a lot together. These guys laugh a lot!

Boucher would not stop talking. Probably one of the longest and most honest conversations I have ever had

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Favourite Sens to talk with last night were Duchene (talk family). What was interesting to me is his persona and we talked fatherhood stuff. You don't really want to talk hockey with these guys. I was lamenting how gmfun it and how they grow up so fast. I told him my son is finishing Midget hockey and he nearly choked on his drinking. "Holy Eff, you don't effing look like it!" Thanks Matt! He is happy to be really close to home.

Stone, we talked cars as we actually picked up our Benzes at Star Motors at the same time. Big car guy. Looking at him, he looks very skinny.

Demelo has a future in comedy. Telling us stories about growing up in London. He loves SJ, but is loving Ottawa more. He felt no matter what he did in SJ, he was never going to get anywhere and loves playing here. He is Portuguese, and married his HS sweetheart. Lives in Westboro area and all the great food...Supply and Demand being his favorite. Still looking for a good Portuguese restaurant. Couldn't think of one!

Dzingel and Dorion were pretty chummy and noticed Dorion and Diznger high fiving guys, maybe it was contract day! His fiance is gorgeous.

Harpur was a great conversation. We joked about his hands and I said at the beginning of his fight he looked like Jack Nicholson saying "Here' Johnny". He laughed and said he was taught to not clench his jaw when he fights, dangerous for the tongue and teeth? Talked about his dad a bit.

Dorion looked pretty relaxed. Told him good luck and hope everything works out. Ugh.

White, Chabot, Tkachuk, hang out a lot together. These guys laugh a lot!

Boucher would not stop talking. Probably one of the longest and most honest conversations I have ever had

Awesome! What did Guy have to say if you don’t mind me asking?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

None of these guys marry bad looking girls, but Dzingel in particular hit a 500 foot home run to the upper deck. No wonder the dude always has this big grin on his face. ;-)

Reactions: gab6511 and coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
None of these guys marry bad looking girls, but Dzingel in particular hit a 500 foot home run to the upper deck. No wonder the dude always has this big grin on his face. ;-)
Haha, she is clearly in another league tho.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wanted to add, as the booze haze is clearing, that Duchene said after having his kid he realized how he spent way too much time at the rink. He has more perspective on life and what matters. Hopeful that includes Ottawa.

It was kind of crazy talking to him and Stone, and thinking they could be/are on the verge of 70 and 80M contracts, respectively.

Demelo, Brady, Shabby and Anders all introduced their partners. Classy.

Brian 5or6 was a fun talk. We had some laughs and I told him how my 17yr old son was a huge fan. He deadpanned "that is exactly my demographic" lol. Talked about how his mum is doing and he was humbled by the support of the Sens Foundation in helping people affected by the tornado.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Wanted to add, as the booze haze is clearing, that Duchene said after having his kid he realized how he spent way too much time at the rink. He has more perspective on life and what matters. Hopeful that includes Ottawa.

It was kind of crazy talking to him and Stone, and thinking they could be/are on the verge of 70 and 80M contracts, respectively.

Demelo, Brady, Shabby and Anders all introduced their partners. Classy.

Brian 5or6 was a fun talk. We had some laughs and I told him how my 17yr old son was a huge fan. He deadpanned "that is exactly my demographic" lol. Talked about how his mum is doing and he was humbled by the support of the Sens Foundation in helping people affected by the tornado.

Was Uncle Melnyk there too?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Awesome! What did Guy have to say if you don’t mind me asking?
Man, he said so much. The things that struck me was how long he has coached. 22 years and he is a year older than me, 47. Asked him the best player he ever coached and he said Crosby. When Crosby was a kid, and other teammates would have a beer or at team dinners have dessert, he would not. Guy said he would practically beg him to take a bite of Apple pie, or ice cream. He was and still is driven to be the best, and would not indulge in dessert, as a 15yr old or 16yr old.

I asked him even after OT wins, playoff wins, he can't fist pump or show some happiness. "The moment you enjoy it, that's when it's over"

"Really? Sounds pretty miserable". He paused , looked at me straight in the he for a couple seconds and said "Ya. It is." Hmmm

Guy is very smart, but very much a player's coach. I gave him grief on the 11-7. He was very approachable about it, but his rationale is he rather bring them all along bit by bit, keep them all playing, keep them developing, keep them in a position to make them feel good about themselves. He gave an example of Lajoie, when injured , he put Wolanin in his spot (can't recall when). He said he could not handle it, and fans have to be patient. He says that Lajoie might not stand out as much as Wolanin, who he considers a sure Top 4, but he plays the least sheltered minutes. He loves the progress of Jaros, and says next year the pain of this year will show in their development.

He struck me as someone who was very concerned with the well being of his players behind the scenes, and said that we have no idea how much is going on behind the scenes with injuries, and their mental well being. So he is happy with their progress when taking the whole picture into account.

It was very interesting to get to talk to him at length, great insight and he works extremely hard.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man, he said so much. The things that struck me was how long he has coached. 22 years and he is a year older than me, 47. Asked him the best player he ever coached and he said Crosby. When Crosby was a kid, and other teammates would have a beer or at team dinners have dessert, he would not. Guy said he would practically beg him to take a bite of Apple pie, or ice cream. He was and still is driven to be the best, and would not indulge in dessert, as a 15yr old or 16yr old.

I asked him even after OT wins, playoff wins, he can't fist pump or show some happiness. "The moment you enjoy it, that's when it's over"

"Really? Sounds pretty miserable". He paused , looked at me straight in the he for a couple seconds and said "Ya. It is." Hmmm

Guy is very smart, but very much a player's coach. I gave him grief on the 11-7. He was very approachable about it, but his rationale is he rather bring them all along bit by bit, keep them all playing, keep them developing, keep them in a position to make them feel good about themselves. He gave an example of Lajoie, when injured , he put Wolanin in his spot (can't recall when). He said he could not handle it, and fans have to be patient. He says that Lajoie might not stand out as much as Wolanin, who he considers a sure Top 4, but he plays the least sheltered minutes. He loves the progress of Jaros, and says next year the pain of this year will show in their development.

He struck me as someone who was very concerned with the well being of his players behind the scenes, and said that we have no idea how much is going on behind the scenes with injuries, and their mental well being. So he is happy with their progress when taking the whole picture into account.

It was very interesting to get to talk to him at length, great insight and he works extremely hard.

Thanks for all of this, he seems like a guy you could talk with for a while. Sounds like it was all super candid.

What a little treasure trove of information behind the strategies employed in the room. I assumed that 11-7 and play time deployments were mostly about development, nice to hear that he’s all about the long game approach and strengthening the players between the ears.

Reactions: coladin

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

How was his hair live? I'm sure it was impressive

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
How was his hair live? I'm sure it was impressive
Wow.,I actually told him right away that he is not a hockey player but a super model. He laughed and thanked me for the flattery. His wife is stunning to and she is also from Sweden. He said he also felt like part of the group immediately and really likes it here.
I think with how the season has ended up for this team lately, it was really really refreshing to see them together at a gala away from the rink. They really do look happy together and were continually laughing and poking fun at each other. I really wish everyone here on this forum would be able to attend this as all that crap and negativity as fans about this team gets buried under a rock pretty quick. It kind of made me feel like this is why we love our team.
Another flashback, at one point when talking to Brady, I asked if we could take a picture of him for my little guy at home, he said yes for sure and asked if I wanted his landlord in it too.....so he called over Stone for the pic too. Awesome guys.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa

What's their collection like?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wow.,I actually told him right away that he is not a hockey player but a super model. He laughed and thanked me for the flattery. His wife is stunning to and she is also from Sweden. He said he also felt like part of the group immediately and really likes it here.
I think with how the season has ended up for this team lately, it was really really refreshing to see them together at a gala away from the rink. They really do look happy together and were continually laughing and poking fun at each other. I really wish everyone here on this forum would be able to attend this as all that crap and negativity as fans about this team gets buried under a rock pretty quick. It kind of made me feel like this is why we love our team.
Another flashback, at one point when talking to Brady, I asked if we could take a picture of him for my little guy at home, he said yes for sure and asked if I wanted his landlord in it too.....so he called over Stone for the pic too. Awesome guys.

The fans don’t have a problem with the players, they dont like the owner.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Not surprised to hear this, he was by far the best part of that Jingle All The Way video. Great comedic timing.

Reactions: DrEasy

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
What's their collection like?
These guys are mostly Rolex guys. Many many of them had a Rolex. Another one that seem to be another hockey players choice were the Hublot....Nilsson, Ceci, Jaros, Bobby Ryan all had Hublot....Nilsson actually was the one that was more vocal about watches in our conversation. He immediately spotted what I was wearing and made reference that he had one back home as well. Cool cool guys.....Anderson was also fun to chat with. I had met him at another event back in October with Nicholle and we met up again this evening. Huge huge car guy. Loves his Corvettes but also has a very rare Ferrari parked back in Florida. He could talk for hours about the car toys.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
These guys are mostly Rolex guys. Many many of them had a Rolex. Another one that seem to be another hockey players choice were the Hublot....Nilsson, Ceci, Jaros, Bobby Ryan all had Hublot....Nilsson actually was the one that was more vocal about watches in our conversation. He immediately spotted what I was wearing and made reference that he had one back home as well. Cool cool guys.....Anderson was also fun to chat with. I had met him at another event back in October with Nicholle and we met up again this evening. Huge huge car guy. Loves his Corvettes but also has a very rare Ferrari parked back in Florida. He could talk for hours about the car toys.
If Melnyk was here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->