Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
RHD is a position of weakness for us. If he can be a cheap bottom pairing RHD for a few years, that's a win. Especially so for a team that has trouble attracting NHL UFAs.

If we get as much as we got from Demelo (2 years of solid #4 play, then a high 3rd round pick), that would be a home run.

People use the term "Chabot's Methot" too lightly. For a period of time, Methot was a legit #2 defender. He was on the shortlist for Team Canada at the Olympics, that is how highly regarded he was. If Zub comes anywhere close to being Chabot's Methot, that's huge in terms of the rebuild.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Losing methot was also the start of this teams downfall in terms of defensive structure we lost our number 2 dman and replaced him with a #6 in oduya

Reactions: armani and DrEasy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm hoping he's the Methot to Chabot, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yea it's pretty tough to put expectations on a player like him. Methot is the best best case scenario. Chances are he's out of the league in a couple years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here is what Button said about him a while back;

“There is zero downside or negativity in signing these player,” said Craig Button, TSN’s director of scouting and a former NHL general manager, in a text message. “They’re older, they are much more ready for the NHL and it doesn’t cost much to give them a chance. It’s the old; “nothing ventured, nothing gained.”
He has always been a good skater who could hold his own in different areas of the game.”
Yes, Zub had 13 goals and 21 points in 57 games with St. Petersburg, but Button doesn’t believe the Senators will be able to count on him for offence because that’s simply not his game and that’s not why they’re signing him because they already have Thomas Chabot to play that role.
“He moves the puck efficiently and defends with a good understanding. He’s not a physical force but is certainly no pushover and he competes well,”
“Not a dynamic player but one who you know what you’re going to get,” said Button, who added teams were probably attracted to Zub by his offence. “Players who you think can help and don’t cost you much, if anything, are worth the effort.”

Found this on a LWOS piece about guys to look at in the 2018 olympics. He has since broken out offensively a bit.

Zub is a defensive defenseman, so his NHLe numbers are not very impressive. What is impressive, is his inclusion on a strong Russian roster at just 22 years old. In 2014, Zub’s first year eligible for the draft, the preliminary draft rankings had him in the same class as Andreas Englund, Pierre Engvall, Gustav Forsling, Axel Holmstrom, and Christian Jaros. The 6’2″ Right handed defenceman’s KHL contract ends in 2020, so this is just a chance to see a player that will be available down the line. There will be much interest in a 24 year old elite KHL defenceman.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Free wallet.

As long as he's decent in the defensive zone, I'll be happy. One year, under a million...not really any way to go wrong with that.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I guess the hopes i had for Jaros are now more being vested in the Zub. Maybe the two of them could still become a good pair.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess the hopes i had for Jaros are now more being vested in the Zub. Maybe the two of them could still become a good pair.
They are both right shots, I don't see them playing together. Zub still has to win a spot & outplay the guys that are here & the guys coming up. I'll wait to development camp to see him, if he goes to development camp or training camp. He seems like a stop gap player, but hopefully he brings something to help this team.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
the problem with jaros is that he’s not very good
Is he not? Obviously not that good since he couldnt crack ottawas weak lineup but his Belleville numbers were pretty good last year, and he is very fast and decent size.
I didnt watch too many Belleville games last year, what are his major weaknesses?

SeasonTeam LgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2019-20Belleville SenatorsAHL34 213 15 14 20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Is he not? Obviously not that good since he couldnt crack ottawas weak lineup but his Belleville numbers were pretty good last year, and he is very fast and decent size.
I didnt watch too many Belleville games last year, what are his major weaknesses?

SeasonTeam LgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2019-20Belleville SenatorsAHL34 213 15 14 20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I really liked what I saw down here in Belleville. He's physical, has a good first pass and has some decent offensive instincts, he's just had a hard time staying healthy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I really liked what I saw down here in Belleville. He's physical, has a good first pass and has some decent offensive instincts, he's just had a hard time staying healthy

I like Jaros, he has an intriguing skillset, but imo his reads and decision-making at both ends of the ice can be very suspect. That said, he has a mix of size, speed, physicality and offensive skill that is relatively unique. If he can improve his reads I think he can be a great 3rd pairing DMan or even an option in the top 4. That's a big if, though - he will need to solidify his status as an NHLer sooner rather than later.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like Jaros, he has an intriguing skillset, but imo his reads and decision-making at both ends of the ice can be very suspect. That said, he has a mix of size, speed, physicality and offensive skill that is relatively unique. If he can improve his reads I think he can be a great 3rd pairing DMan or even an option in the top 4. That's a big if, though - he will need to solidify his status as an NHLer sooner rather than later.

One of his problems is that he's played with Boro for the most part. He needs a puck mover to be his partner.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I have low expectations for Zub. At best he will be a 3rd pairing Defenseman.

I am a little worried he chose Ottberia. He could of signed anywhere including a team with fewer DMAN prospects where he could get insulation and protection as he integrates into the league.

By the end of June this org will probably have 3 first round D draft picks ready to Break in. Zub will get a year on them but they are coming. Feels like he didn’t have a lot of choices ...

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Gavrikov and Zub those are the two best KHL dmen now, transitioning to NHL Gavrikov is more physical then Zub. But Zub is little bit more mobile and creative. But both of them are absolutely similar in their potential and defensive ability to be as the second dman pairing.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I am a little worried he chose Ottberia. He could of signed anywhere including a team with fewer DMAN prospects where he could get insulation and protection as he integrates into the league.

By the end of June this org will probably have 3 first round D draft picks ready to Break in. Zub will get a year on them but they are coming. Feels like he didn’t have a lot of choices ...

I'm sure he's confident as a player and saw an NHL team with like...2 NHL players on defence, it was a great opportunity to play in the NHL right away. One a year deal, if he plays well he can choose to stay in Ottawa or move on to another team.

None of the young defencemen are a Matthews or McDavid immediate impact guys. I'm sure a solid KHL vets looks at guys like JBD and says, I can beat him for a spot.

As for the signing, it's hard to see a downside. Not much money and he was good in the 2nd best hockey league. He can't be worse than what the Sens rolled out last year and maybe he's better. Even if he's a quality 5-6...that's better than what we had.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Sweatred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->