Player Discussion Marcus Hogberg (G)

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Lol 2nd best gaa in the Ahl among qualified goalies and tied for 7th best sv% but because he only play 39 games (19th most) it wasnt a solid year

A+ analysis. Would read again.

That was my initial reaction to buddy's post, but I think the point he was making was not that Högberg didn't play well, rather just that it isn't enough development time for him to be ready for the big leagues yet.

Obviously Högberg was one of the best goalies in the league last year, he just needs a lot more reps at the North American game before doing it at full-pace.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was my initial reaction to buddy's post, but I think the point he was making was not that Högberg didn't play well, rather just that it isn't enough development time for him to be ready for the big leagues yet.

Obviously Högberg was one of the best goalies in the league last year, he just needs a lot more reps at the North American game before doing it at full-pace.

With 228 pro games under his belt 81 of which are in NA, I don't see that as a terribly convincing argument. European trained goalies simply don't typically do that. They build up the bulk of their experience overseas and spend a season or two before transitioning to the NHL.

I don't think he is a lock to start in the NHL by any means or even to hit 30 games this year, but it is certainly not outlandish to suggest he could.

In the end though, the contention was he was not ready and justification for reaching that conlusion was laughably flawed.

Reactions: Deku

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect we will see Hogberg in Ottawa full time after the trade deadline unless Anderson or Nilsson get hurt before that. I expect he will be full time in Ottawa the following yr in the 2020 season.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Yes, that's what I think.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I expect we will see Hogberg in Ottawa full time after the trade deadline unless Anderson or Nilsson get hurt before that. I expect he will be full time in Ottawa the following yr in the 2020 season.

Didn't I hear that the second year of his new contract is a one way?

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Excellent game from him
Away from home
With the team in front of him on the back end of a back to back
Kept the team in it until late in 3rd
.923%
Solid

Reactions: DrEasy

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Outside of a couple games goaltending has actually been a highlight for us this season. It’s been nice to see and the defense actually played pretty solid for a few games. Like I said earlier give us a sniper or two and this team would be pretty deadly in my opinion

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That was one of the most memorable moments in Senators history. Let’s not use hindsight to take away from that run. If you were around during that time, you would understand!

I don't understand the bolded. The pesky Sens were awesome, as was Hamburlgar and Lazar eating hamburger off ice..I also remember the rather quick and painful first round exit against the Habs. In any case, I definitely don't want to see some sort of a run that results in the team missing out on a top pick this draft.

Reactions: GCK

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
This is great to see. Honestly wasn’t expecting much in Hogberg, thought maybe he’d be a decent backup. Now he’s looking like he has legit starter potential.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't understand the bolded. The pesky Sens were awesome, as was Hamburlgar and Lazar eating hamburger off ice..I also remember the rather quick and painful first round exit against the Habs. In any case, I definitely don't want to see some sort of a run that results in the team missing out on a top pick this draft.

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Damn Blues, if they didn't turn their season around last year, they could have had a top-3 pick!

The goal is to win hockey games, make the playoffs and then fight to go as far as possible, like the Sens just did 2-3 years ago.

The only time tanking is legit is in a season like this one, where we were forced into a massive firesale, aka trading our legit stars for futures to save money and go in a full rebuild. Outside of a particular reason like that, tanking is Pejorative Slured. A team that had solid vets like Karlsson, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Michalek, Methot, Anderson and a few rising stars/prospects like Stone, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, Lehner, Ceci really shouldn't and wouldn't deserve getting a 1st OA pick. Sens made the playoffs in 2011-12 & 2012-13 (beat the Habs in 1st round) and then missed by a few points (they had 88 pts) in 2013-14. They were never supposed to be a bottom-5 team in 2014-15 and turned things around before the end of the season (a season is 82 games and not 52 games or whatever) and finished with 99 pts. The most pathetic for any athlete is quitting. I don't care if they don't finish 1st but quitting is lame.

Yes Hammond had a great run but at that time I was already saying that I didn't have much faith in him as a long-term solid goalie, still saw him as a back-up. The turn around was more on the Stone and Hoffman breakouts, as well as some vets turning it up a notch.

Seriously, I'm not really enjoying this morning reading that "we should have tanked" in a season where we got 99 pts.

And you can rest easy, because it's not happening this year, unless they call up all the best prospects, give them all the opportunities and then they break out all at the same time, which won't happen.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Hogberg looks really promising. D'accord has been really solid in Belleville too. Would be nice if Gustavsson could pick up his play.

People saying that Gusty will gain his confidence and better abilities next year when holding the fort down there.

That being said, some of these guys need to be traded

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boss%2BHog.jpg

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad