Player Discussion Marcus Hogberg (G)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Anderson & Nilsson start the yr in Ottawa but I would guess that a goalie will probably be traded by the deadline, if not sooner & most likely it would be Anderson or Condon who I doubt anyone wants. Once a goalie is traded then I think they promote Hogberg & let whose left fight it out in Belleville. In any event I expect that by next season both Anderson & Condon will be gone & Ottawa could be looking to draft another goalie next yr.

To start the yr:
Ottawa - Anderson - Nilsson
Belleville - Condon - Hogberg
Brampton - Gustavsson - Daccord

To end the yr:
Ottawa: Nilsson - Hogberg
Belleville - Condon - Gustavsson - I expect that Condon will be allowed to walk after the season
Brampton - Daccord

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My ideal scenario would be to move Andy, maybe at half salary to a team like the Flyers, and roll with:

NHL: Nilsson & the Hog
AHL: Gus & Daccord

I think they should buy out Condon but it doesn’t sound like it will happen. He could be kept as a third goalie on the NHL roster, give him a chance in September/october and if he continues to suck ass we could just stop playing him and let the contract run out

I just highly doubt anyone will trade for him, maybe on half salary for a late pick or contract dump

Having both Hogberg and Daccord sitting most games, as the back up is not ideal for their development.

Someone needs to play, as the starter in the ECHL, and put in the minutes to help their development.

Reactions: aragorn and gab6511

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Having both Hogberg and Daccord sitting most games, as the back up is not ideal for their development.

Someone needs to play, as the starter in the ECHL, and put in the minutes to help their development.

Agreed, that's why one of Condon or Andy needs to go.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Agreed, that's why one of Condon or Andy needs to go.

If there are no takers, for Condon, in a trade, at the draft........ then he could be bought out.

Perhaps they decide to wait until Training camp, see how he plays, and is able to play without issues related to his injury...... and then showcase him in the preseason, and early on in the season to hopefully attract a trading partner.

Reactions: aragorn

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
We have 6 goalies under contract who will play pro next year LOL.
Must be some kind of a record.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

No. They can easily split games around 40/40, or 50/30 if one guy is playing way better than the other

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
PD just said that Hog will be starting/playing in the AHL this year.

--> No trade for Anderson unless we are outside of a good draftpick for 2020 ;)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No. They can easily split games around 40/40, or 50/30 if one guy is playing way better than the other

So you're suggesting that Hogberg is ready to play about 40 Games in the NHL next season?

I think they'd be better served if the Season Starts with Nilsson and Anderson in the NHL, with Hogberg and Gustavsson playing full time as starters in the AHL/ECHL ( with Condon moved out in some fashion) and whenever Anderson is no longer a Senator, whomever is next up (onthe depth chart) comes in as the NHL back up.

My ideal scenario would be to move Andy, maybe at half salary to a team like the Flyers, and roll with:

NHL: Nilsson & the Hog
AHL: Gus & Daccord

I think they should buy out Condon but it doesn’t sound like it will happen. He could be kept as a third goalie on the NHL roster, give him a chance in September/october and if he continues to suck ass we could just stop playing him and let the contract run out

I just highly doubt anyone will trade for him, maybe on half salary for a late pick or contract dump

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
So you're suggesting that Hogberg is ready to play about 40 Games in the NHL next season?

I think they'd be better served if the Season Starts with Nilsson and Anderson in the NHL, with Hogberg and Gustavsson playing full time as starters in the AHL/ECHL ( with Condon moved out in some fashion) and whenever Anderson is no longer a Senator, whomever is next up (onthe depth chart) comes in as the NHL back up.

We would obviously need to see how he performs in training camp/preseason before determining exactly how many games we want Hog to play. However I feel like he proved enough in the AHL last season to get a good look in the big leagues this year. It’s not like Nilsson and Anderson are goalie that you want playing 55+ games a season at this point of their careers
If Hog falters at the nhl level, we will probably still have Condon has a fallback option since I doubt we will be able to move him

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If there are no takers, for Condon, in a trade, at the draft........ then he could be bought out.

Perhaps they decide to wait until Training camp, see how he plays, and is able to play without issues related to his injury...... and then showcase him in the preseason, and early on in the season to hopefully attract a trading partner.

There's a buyout window. If the team takes Condon into camp the only options will be trade or ride out the last year of his deal.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We would obviously need to see how he performs in training camp/preseason before determining exactly how many games we want Hog to play. However I feel like he proved enough in the AHL last season to get a good look in the big leagues this year. It’s not like Nilsson and Anderson are goalie that you want playing 55+ games a season at this point of their careers
If Hog falters at the nhl level, we will probably still have Condon has a fallback option since I doubt we will be able to move him

Hog is not playing in the NHL right now. Anderson and Nilsson will do fine. No sense in killing Hog's career early by rushing it.

I saw him play a few times last year. He is not ready IMO. Let's hope the B-sens do well and he backstops them again for the majority of the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So you're suggesting that Hogberg is ready to play about 40 Games in the NHL next season
He said "or 50-30" which implies he thinks he is ready for 30 games but open to more if he shows himself capable.

Is 30 games reasonable fo a 24 year old rookie goalie coming of a solid year in the AHL? Lots of examples of guys doing so and following it up with strong careers. Rask, Quick, Mrazej, Hellebuyk, Riemer, Allen, Elliott, Binnington. Not all became top end starters, a mix of backs in there, but it isnt unheard of to jump into your career as a bckup with around 30 starts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hog is not playing in the NHL right now. Anderson and Nilsson will do fine. No sense in killing Hog's career early by rushing it.

I saw him play a few times last year. He is not ready IMO. Let's hope the B-sens do well and he backstops them again for the majority of the season.
I agree that it is a moot poit with Andy and Nilson, but i don't think we would kill his career by playing him.

I would prefer to see how well we play defensively under the new coach and system before throwing a rookie in the net though. A more structured game in front of him might be benificial to development. If we have the Benny Hill themed chaos of the past, not so much

Reactions: Deku

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Wouldn't be surprising to see a three goalie rotation for the Sens this year.

If we could get rid of one of Anderson or Condon for some value that would be great. If Condon is down in the AHL it will be as a backup to Högberg.

Don't expect Högberg in the NHL this year. Dorion has already said as much. They want one more full AHL year for him, ideally featuring a playoff run. It would be nice to get him up to the NHL for a few games if possible though.

Presumably it will be the Swedish duo at the AHL level and then Daccord in ECHL. I still think it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to send Gustavsson back to Sweden for one more year though. He still only just turned 21!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

The Senators are not going to keep three Goaltenders, on one way contracts for the entire season.
One of Condon or Anderson will be removed from Ottawa in one form or another. (trade or buyout)

Young goaltenders need to play everyday in order to develop, so Hogberg and Gustavsson should each be starters in the minors this upcoming season.

There's no need, or logical reason, to rush either into the NHL this season. Ottawa rushed Lehner, and it did not help him in the long run.

I'd rather Hogberg and Gustavsson be overripe when they come up to the NHL for good, rather than underdone ............. and no, the NHL is not the ideal league to develop a goaltender......tha's why there is a minor league(s) system.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He said "or 50-30" which implies he thinks he is ready for 30 games but open to more if he shows himself capable.

Is 30 games reasonable fo a 24 year old rookie goalie coming of a solid year in the AHL? Lots of examples of guys doing so and following it up with strong careers. Rask, Quick, Mrazej, Hellebuyk, Riemer, Allen, Elliott, Binnington. Not all became top end starters, a mix of backs in there, but it isnt unheard of to jump into your career as a bckup with around 30 starts.

I don't think 39 games in the AHL is "a solid year" in the AHL.

His GAA in his 4 NHL games last year was over 4.
He was not ready then, and playing him 30 plus games, this season, on the 31st placed team last season is NOT going to help him develop.

Let's not "Lazar" another prospect, svp.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Wouldn't be surprising to see a three goalie rotation for the Sens this year.

If we could get rid of one of Anderson or Condon for some value that would be great. If Condon is down in the AHL it will be as a backup to Högberg.

Don't expect Högberg in the NHL this year. Dorion has already said as much. They want one more full AHL year for him, ideally featuring a playoff run. It would be nice to get him up to the NHL for a few games if possible though.

Presumably it will be the Swedish duo at the AHL level and then Daccord in ECHL. I still think it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to send Gustavsson back to Sweden for one more year though. He still only just turned 21!

Condon will be bought out, instead of paying him his NHL salary to ride pine in the AHL.

One Swede should be the Starter (Play a ton of games) in the AHL, and the other, the Starter in the ECHL (play a ton of games).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
When does the Window close?

Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case. Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think 39 games in the AHL is "a solid year" in the AHL.

His GAA in his 4 NHL games last year was over 4.
He was not ready then, and playing him 30 plus games, this season, on the 31st placed team last season is NOT going to help him develop.

Let's not "Lazar" another prospect, svp.
Lol 2nd best gaa in the Ahl among qualified goalies and tied for 7th best sv% but because he only play 39 games (19th most) it wasnt a solid year

A+ analysis. Would read again.

Reactions: Deku

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Condon will be bought out, instead of paying him his NHL salary to ride pine in the AHL.

Would make sense, but looks like it is not the case. Dorion said in his presser the other day, when asked about Condon, that after having lived through tough situations with multiple goalie injuries and lacking the depth to deal with it, he doesn't want to ever be in that situation again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad