Player Discussion Marcus Hogberg (G)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Sens?

No way they want both Gustovsson and Daacord splitting games in the ECHL.

I think we must have the inside track on a deal to move Condon. Maybe it's something we cannot do until July 1st comes about and signing bonus is paid by another team.

That, or an Anderson trade being in the works is the only real explanation for not buying him out. An Anderson trade would at least open room for one of Condon or Hogberg to be the #2 in the NHL depending on who is more impressive at training camp. That way we'd have Nilsson/Hogberg in the NHL, Gus/Condon in the AHL, and Daccord in the ECHL.

There's no room for him anywhere in the organization otherwise, and a buyout saves us 1 million over the lifetime of the contract. We could possibly loan him to another AHL team with his consent, but that's another further complication.

Reactions: gab6511

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I understand the logic of it, but the Sens haven't had great luck with these two year deals withguaranteed 1-way money in the 2nd year (Boro, McCormick, Harpur). It's almost like they have an issue projecting these tweener types. To be fair to this deal, I probably have more faith in Hogberg becoming a respectable replacement level player than the previous three guys.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I understand the logic of it, but the Sens haven't had great luck with these two year deals withguaranteed 1-way money in the 2nd year (Boro, McCormick, Harpur). It's almost like they have an issue projecting these tweener types. To be fair to this deal, I probably have more faith in Hogberg becoming a respectable replacement level player than the previous three guys.

I think they also had to give the player some incentive to stay in NA, and to look at this year with the B Sens as instrumental.

Hog can now see a direct path and timeline to the NHL, now all he has to do is continue to deserve it. Solid move.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I think we must have the inside track on a deal to move Condon. Maybe it's something we cannot do until July 1st comes about and signing bonus is paid by another team.

That, or an Anderson trade being in the works is the only real explanation for not buying him out. An Anderson trade would at least open room for one of Condon or Hogberg to be the #2 in the NHL depending on who is more impressive at training camp. That way we'd have Nilsson/Hogberg in the NHL, Gus/Condon in the AHL, and Daccord in the ECHL.

There's no room for him anywhere in the organization otherwise, and a buyout saves us 1 million over the lifetime of the contract. We could possibly loan him to another AHL team with his consent, but that's another further complication.

The recent interview with PD indicated a decision on Condon at camp. Totoal wild guess, but I am wondering if they are waiting to hear from Anderson about retirement. How bad do you have to want one more year if this is the kind of year it's going to be, getting blasted for 40 shots and 4-5 goals every night while under constant frustration with your team-mates, many of whom are half your age?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The recent interview with PD indicated a decision on Condon at camp. Totoal wild guess, but I am wondering if they are waiting to hear from Anderson about retirement. How bad do you have to want one more year if this is the kind of year it's going to be, getting blasted for 40 shots and 4-5 goals every night while under constant frustration with your team-mates, many of whom are half your age?

It would be very farfetched for a player to retire with 1 more year of a high salary. Even with Anderson's personal situation where his family lives full time in Florida, it would be very surprising.

It's more likely that it's one of these three things.

1) Melnyk won't allow a buyout. Either because he doesn't want added money on the books in a potential lockout season or because he wants Dorion to try and fit Condon's salary in a trade.
2) We're moving Anderson at the draft and want to keep Condon as our yearly AHL veteran goalie (Danny Taylor, Mike McKenna), as well as so that he is training camp competition for Hogberg. We don't want to rush Gustavsson/Daccord, but we also do not want to hand Hogberg an NHL job without him earning it.
3) There is a deal in place for Condon after the July 1st bonus for a different player is paid. We aren't going to announce we've traded him until it is set in stone.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Should deal Andy and go with Nilsson as our starter next year, with Condon and Hogberg battling for the backup role, and the loser splitting time with Gustavsson in Belleville.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
And people were stressed out by this why?

I never understood the panic surrounding our goaltending situation with Hogberg

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This is fine, and it's the exact contract structure I anticipated. I'm not too worried about the 1-way year being a burden - if it doesn't work out for Hogberg he's a good candidate for mutual contract termination so he can return to play in Sweden.

On Condon - I think it's possible that he has simply been deemed medically ineligible for a buyout.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Think it might still be worthwhile at this point to send Gustavsson back to Sweden for one more year?

And what do we see as ceilings for Hogberg and Gustavsson. Hogberg seeks like maybe a competent starter, but Gustavsson's is all-star.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Then again, I'm pretty sure I said the exact same thing about Quick and the younger Bernier.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Should deal Andy and go with Nilsson as our starter next year, with Condon and Hogberg battling for the backup role, and the loser splitting time with Gustavsson in Belleville.

Andy and his contract are not tradeable without taking back a player with high salary, so we are stuck with him. It will be interesting to see what the team can and will do with Condon. A buy-out makes sense but a trade for something of value costing about the same would be great but not likely.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Andy and his contract are not tradeable without taking back a player with high salary, so we are stuck with him. It will be interesting to see what the team can and will do with Condon. A buy-out makes sense but a trade for something of value costing about the same would be great but not likely.

If Andy has a good first half of the season, I have zero doubt a team will take him on at the deadline, or even earlier.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If Andy has a good first half of the season, I have zero doubt a team will take him on at the deadline, or even earlier.

Well sure, but he hasn't been good for the better part of two seasons now. Not sure how half a season behind a worse version of last years last place team will help that. If he's still here by training camp it's probably a sign the team couldn't move him for anything of value (i.e need to take a dump back or retain)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well sure, but he hasn't been good for the better part of two seasons now. Not sure how half a season behind a worse version of last years last place team will help that. If he's still here by training camp it's probably a sign the team couldn't move him for anything of value (i.e need to take a dump back or retain)

If he's good, why wouldn't a decent team with playoff aspirations not take a shot at a guy on an expiring contract?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If he's good, why wouldn't a decent team with playoff aspirations not take a shot at a guy on an expiring contract?

The "if" is the key here though, given the last two seasons.

You're absolutely right though, "if" he can be solid behind this group there's no reason he can't be shipped off for a minimal return at the deadline. I just don't have any confidence he's going to turn it around in his age 38 season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is great. Hogberg probably wanted a 1 way and the met in the middle and guaranteed him a NHL salary in a year (though probably a lockout year). I think he'll play his way on to the roster regardless but it gives some good roster flexibility if they can't move or buyout Condon/Anderson.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Good, I'm glad he's back. Goalies are weird, it's hard to predict how they turn out. I'm glad we've got him another year or two to develop. Hope he shines.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, one way contracts for both Hogberg and Nilsson for 2020-21.

I guess that's our expected tandem of the short term future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->