Pre-Game Talk: Senators @ Sabres 7 PM eastern time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
He played top 6 minutes and was given a fair shot in his first two games up. It became clear against the Leafs that it wasn't working out for the Sens and he was buried in the line up.

He is still an option in the top 6, but right now he is losing out to players who are better suited for these matchups. Kassian usually draws in against teams that have depth in the "goon" department. If either Hoffman or Kassian are going to be limited to -5 minutes against a team like Toronto, Philly or Buffalo, I'd take Kassian for the protection factor.

I think Hoffman is great, but he didn't show enough when he had his opportunity with top end players. After that it becomes how much rope do you give him to succeed? In our situation where the playoff picture is slowly slipping from our grasp, that rope isn't very long.

People keep saying this as if the current group of players are giving us a good shot at the playoffs. Ummm....Now I get that many players are starting to turn it around (thankfully) but to call up Hoffman who was lights out in Bingo, is not waiver exempt and only give him 2 games to prove himself? What surprises me more is how many people are like you and are completely content in saying he got his shot.

Rookies usually get 9 games to prove themselves when on an ELC...why should Hoffman not get at least 5?

Milan the God*

Game 1 this year, Scott's in Buffalo's lineup, Kassian's not in Ottawa's, didn't hurt the Sens one bit. In fact Scott had no one for his staged fight and took a stupid slashing penalty.

Who's to say with no Kassian in the lineup, Scott goes after Ryan/Turris/Karlsson?

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
People keep saying this as if the current group of players are giving us a good shot at the playoffs. Ummm....Now I get that many players are starting to turn it around (thankfully) but to call up Hoffman who was lights out in Bingo, is not waiver exempt and only give him 2 games to prove himself? What surprises me more is how many people are like you and are completely content in saying he got his shot.

Rookies usually get 9 games to prove themselves when on an ELC...why should Hoffman not get at least 5?

People on here are also saying guys who are great in the minors but have no NHL success give us a better shot at making the playoffs.

It's the situation we are in. We don't have time to experiment 8 or 9 games to see if someone can make a difference. In 8 or 9 games we could be out of the playoff picture. Hoffman, like any other player who will be called up to "test" in the top 6, will be given a short time to adjust because time is not something we possess at the moment. Our dire situation should in some way rationalize this concept to you.

When a player like Hoffman is called up, he is expected to push for a roster spot and seize the opportunity he gets. He got a damn big one, which is uncharacteristic of PM. He didn't utilize his opportunity, therefore he more than likely will need to re-earn the respect he had upon his recall. Tell me what he did (once recalled) to earn an extended shot?

Furthermore, players that produce in the minors do not always translate to producers in the NHL. This point should be common sense and any time you discuss players like Hoffman you should keep it in mind. It remains to be seen if Hoffman can in some way replicate his offensive prowess that he's displayed for Bingo. So far he has yet to make any more of an impact than the guys we have on our roster, players who have earned their right to be there by making the team in camp. Players like Conacher, Greening and Condra will always be re-inserted throughout the lineup in favour of guys like Hoffman for this very reason.

Lastly, the 9 games you mention is irrelevant as that 9 games is applied to juniors and their first year ELC. A junior player gets 9 games before their contract kicks in. Hoffman, although still on his ELC, still burns up a year of his contract regardless how many games he plays. The 9 games to an extent is to prove themselves, but it is also an opportunity for the organization to get an extended look at their usually prized asset without burning a year.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
People on here are also saying guys who are great in the minors but have no NHL success give us a better shot at making the playoffs.

It's the situation we are in. We don't have time to experiment 8 or 9 games to see if someone can make a difference. In 8 or 9 games we could be out of the playoff picture. Hoffman, like any other player who will be called up to "test" in the top 6, will be given a short time to adjust because time is not something we possess at the moment. Our dire situation should in some way rationalize this concept to you.

When a player like Hoffman is called up, he is expected to push for a roster spot and seize the opportunity he gets. He got a damn big one, which is uncharacteristic of PM. He didn't utilize his opportunity, therefore he more than likely will need to re-earn the respect he had upon his recall. Tell me what he did (once recalled) to earn an extended shot?

Furthermore, players that produce in the minors do not always translate to producers in the NHL. This point should be common sense and any time you discuss players like Hoffman you should keep it in mind. It remains to be seen if Hoffman can in some way replicate his offensive prowess that he's displayed for Bingo. So far he has yet to make any more of an impact than the guys we have on our roster, players who have earned their right to be there by making the team in camp. Players like Conacher, Greening and Condra will always be re-inserted throughout the lineup in favour of guys like Hoffman for this very reason.

Lastly, the 9 games you mention is irrelevant as that 9 games is applied to juniors and their first year ELC. A junior player gets 9 games before their contract kicks in. Hoffman, although still on his ELC, still burns up a year of his contract regardless how many games he plays. The 9 games to an extent is to prove themselves, but it is also an opportunity for the organization to get an extended look at their usually prized asset without burning a year.

This is a laughable response to my comments. Not only do you make it sound like I know nothing about the game of hockey you basically sidestep what I wrote in doing so.

I'd love to respond point by point but I simply do not have the time right now and to be honest it clearly won't change your mind. You obviously think he got his shot based on your assumption of his play and the current team's standing. I disagree and feel he deserved more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad