GDT: Senators @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - 2/14/19

Christien

May 1, 2010
I'm tired and too lazy to look it up, but when do Holland's and Blashill's contracts expire?

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
How many of those seasons was he playing with Z and Datsyuk? AA has 20 goals through 52 games playing with guys like Glendening and older players like Nielsen and Vanek.

Ah...
I remember 2 games when Vanek give him nice set ups and he miss the Empty net..but ok Its because of Vanek/Nielsen that he can't peform well and Score more goals.

I mean he is good but to score more goals Its not the fault from other ones.
He reminds me a lot on Grabner, so many breakaways but they miss so often.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
UGH if Kronwall is coming back! I like him, but no interest in seeing the current Kronwall returning.

Reactions: lilidk

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Jensen is really helping make me not want to kill DeKeyser. I actually like that pairing most of the time.

He should be the priority over Kronwall. I know that isn't the emotional investment but it is probably the best course of action. If you want to keep Kronwall and Jensen, you must deal Daley in the next 10 days.

I think the other turd in the punch bowl there is going to be Hicketts...

Given the coaching staff and FO's deep appreciation for his effort or whatever it is, and the fact that he's no longer waiver exempt next season, I can see them giving him a roster spot out of fear of losing him on waivers, which gives them 8 D if everyone returns.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I think the other turd in the punch bowl there is going to be Hicketts...

Given the coaching staff and FO's deep appreciation for his effort or whatever it is, and the fact that he's no longer waiver exempt next season, I can see them giving him a roster spot out of fear of losing him on waivers, which gives them 8 D if everyone returns.

Start of the season Hicketts will most definitely clear waivers.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
UGH if Kronwall is coming back! I like him, but no interest in seeing the current Kronwall returning.
This would make for a nice final season for Kronwall. He's playing well, had some big hits, stayed healthy.

I'm sure he'll retire. It's not like Holland has a history of offering players contracts well beyond their usefulness.

*cough* Sorry I need to Cleary my throat. I have some Cheli or something stuck in there.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Ah...
I remember 2 games when Vanek give him nice set ups and he miss the Empty net..but ok Its because of Vanek/Nielsen that he can't peform well and Score more goals.

I mean he is good but to score more goals Its not the fault from other ones.
He reminds me a lot on Grabner, so many breakaways but they miss so often.
I mean he is #33 in the league in goals per minute ahead of MacKinnon and Kucherov, and #23 in the league in even strength goals despite playing with Glendening and Helm 14.04% of the time this season. But ok. He should finish better. That's his problem.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean he is #33 in the league in goals per minute ahead of MacKinnon and Kucherov, and #23 in the league in even strength goals despite playing with Glendening and Helm 14.04% of the time this season. But ok. He should finish better. That's his problem.

Stapling Glendening to AA is one of the smarter things Blashill has done. Glendening covers AA's huge weakness and because AA can fly the zone it covers Glendening's biggest weakness which was that he used to get hemmed in. That line actually works, it is one of the reasons AA has played better when he has been there. Nielsen did a lot of heavy lifting for him this year as well. I know we are only supposed to like 4 players or something on this team, but sorry that is the kind of offense AA creates. He feasts on weaker D pairings in transition, that is what Glendening offers and he drives lanes with discipline to give AA more time to hold the puck and exploit openings.

Gledening and AA's chemistry is an interesting development.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Stapling Glendening to AA is one of the smarter things Blashill has done. Glendening covers AA's huge weakness and because AA can fly the zone it covers Glendening's biggest weakness which was that he used to get hemmed in. That line actually works, it is one of the reasons AA has played better when he has been there. Nielsen did a lot of heavy lifting for him this year as well. I know we are only supposed to like 4 players or something on this team, but sorry that is the kind of offense AA creates. He feasts on weaker D pairings in transition, that is what Glendening offers and he drives lanes with discipline to give AA more time to hold the puck and exploit openings.

Gledening and AA's chemistry is an interesting development.
I was going to comment on the chemistry developing between Glendening and AA as well. They seem like an odd couple at first but their games do compliment each other.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not trying to argue that this particular line combo is a bad idea.

I'm just saying imagine if our elite goalscorer played with an elite playmaker.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't really consider AA to be an elite goal scorer. An elite AA is a guy like Pavel Bure. I actually don't think his forward line mates matter as much offensively, but could you imagine him with dman that could consistently land a stretch pass like Raffy, Lids, Murph, etc. The guy would have so many breakways it would be insane or the offensive team would have to cheat men back to cover constantly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't really consider AA to be an elite goal scorer. An elite AA is a guy like Pavel Bure. I actually don't think his forward line mates matter as much offensively, but could you imagine him with dman that could consistently land a stretch pass like Raffy, Lids, Murph, etc. The guy would have so many breakways it would be insane or the offensive team would have to cheat men back to cover constantly.

I think AA already does back off the defense to a decent degree. I mean one of the areas Glendening traditionally struggled was with getting hemmed in his own zone, getting stuffed and held in while trying to exit. I mean Glendening would routinely win a board battle just to lose the puck a bit farther up the boards. With AA the D don't pinch, they are scared to, they know he is out there. It also allows the couple times Glendening intentionally ices it for a foot race. I just think it has covered his biggest problem. He is pretty good in his own end aside from that and while AA doesn't do much defensively, he does back pressure and close points using his speed to hawk people when that puck enters a danger transition situation.

We will have to see. But I don't think the latest outburst is a mistake. They really seem to complement each other and Glendening's gains skating wise are really starting to be apparent. He keeps up with our fastest guys when they are out together. He kills with Larkin occasionally and they look good and play fast as well. Hard working guy. I mean I would trade him for a second, but I get why hockey people love Glendening. His advanced metrics might not be great but that dude brings it ever single night. I think him and Larkin are really the guys up front that set that tone, AA has bought in a lot more this year in my opinion and that is nice to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->