Sportsnet: Senators quarter mark report: Signs of culture change emerging in Ottawa

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lead by a captain that doesn’t train in the summer, takes practices off when it suits him, and is not committed to the defensive aspect of the game?

How would it look with DJ benching EK?

;)
The narrative that he doesn't train in the summer really needs to stop. He said his summer training didn't include conditioning not that he didn't train or workout. That may have changed since 2016 or whenever it was that this all came out but as i recall Mendes did an interview with him where he discussed his summer training.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The narrative that he doesn't train in the summer really needs to stop. He said his summer training didn't include conditioning not that he didn't train or workout. That may have changed since 2016 or whenever it was that this all came out but as i recall Mendes did an interview with him where he discussed his summer training.

Plus taking practice time off the year after they removed half his ankle bone and reconstructed it isn't shocking in anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Variable26

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Plus taking practice time off the year after the removed half his ankle bone and reconstructed it isn't shocking in anyway.

It really wasn't a one season thing, it was happening under the previous two coaches as well. That said it shouldn't be an issue. Managing your star players health is important. It's a long season. Same goes for off season training, a player of Karlsson's stature can't come into the season in peak physical condition with minimal body fat because he wouldn't last past March.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I’ll wait. Almost every coaching change comes with a honeymoon period.

True, but they're not doing anything that's radical to hockey. Playing high up and aggressive in the neutral zone with a strong forecheck is a pretty safe bet to win you games, provided your players have the wheels for it.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It really wasn't a one season thing, it was happening under the previous two coaches as well. That said it shouldn't be an issue. Managing your star players health is important. It's a long season. Same goes for off season training, a player of Karlsson's stature can't come into the season in peak physical condition with minimal body fat because he wouldn't last past March.
Source? Don't remember this narrative being created until months after he was traded. It's possible that I'm wrong but I don't seem to remember this being brought up as an issue until conveniently, EK and the Sharks came to town for the first time.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
It’s a hard way to play for 82 games.

The PP is going to have to get better as the grind sets in and other teams start to play with more desperation.

This is very true. Sens are playing pretty aggressive which can take it's toll on a long 82 game season. Easier to play like that when you know for sure your season won't be a game longer than 82.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Just being cheeky, I did put a winky face.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
The situation is looking good, but I ask everyone to be cautious. You've heard the puckheads talk about American Thanksgiving as the "evaluation point"...well guess what, the league knows that as well. So, they are clever enough to create a like on like schedule. Last year's top 10/11 teams, start the season against one another, the middle 10/11, the bottom 10/11. This creates a 0.500 league, keeping most teams in it and your interest. You rush out and buy tickets, TV packages, etc. Take a real good look at the standings. most teams are around the 22-26 point zone and with 22-23 games played (Nov. 22). Ever team is still within reach of a playoff spot. The real test will be the next 25 games. By then the Sens will have to go up against more top 10/11, mid 10/11 teams. Let's hope they maintain this pace. Then we can declare success. Otherwise, there is a danger of premature euphoria. GO SENS

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So far, I really like the coaching change & like the way this coaching staff has this team playing. I like that Smith likes tough hockey & added Sabourin to the team & I like that he allows some guys to drop the gloves when needed. I was fed up with GB as a soft coach with all his crazy schemes that back fired on him & embarrassed the team.

If this team can dominate physically, they will have more of an opportunity to win more games IMO. Of course, they need a balance of skill, speed, size, toughness & scoring ability, but not getting pushed around by teams & being very hard to play against also wins games.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
So far, I really like the coaching change & like the way this coaching staff has this team playing. I like that Smith likes tough hockey & added Sabourin to the team & I like that he allows some guys to drop the gloves when needed. I was fed up with GB as a soft coach with all his crazy schemes that back fired on him & embarrassed the team.

If this team can dominate physically, they will have more of an opportunity to win more games IMO. Of course, they need a balance of skill, speed, size, toughness & scoring ability, but not getting pushed around by teams & being very hard to play against also wins games.

Didn't we have the most fighting majors in the league under Boucher last season?

Not really disagreeing with your overall point, since the team is clearly playing a more aggressive game under DJS than they did at any point under GB, more disputing your "allows guys to drop the gloves when needed" comment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Didn't we have the most fighting majors in the league under Boucher last season?

Not really disagreeing with your overall point, since the team is clearly playing a more aggressive game under DJS than they did at any point under GB, more disputing your "allows guys to drop the gloves when needed" comment.
Really? I would have bet the house against that, I always got the impression he didn't like that part of the game at all.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Really? I would have bet the house against that, I always got the impression he didn't like that part of the game at all.

Maybe there was an uptick when Crow took over, but I remember Harpur/Boro combining for a few last season.

That's not to say that having the most fighting majors meant the team fought "a lot" since it's down league wide.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Lead by a captain that doesn’t train in the summer, takes practices off when it suits him, and is not committed to the defensive aspect of the game?

How would it look with DJ benching EK?

;)

You mean the captain who put up a Conn Smythe performance with a broken foot? Carrying a below average team to 1 goal of the finals? That captain?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You mean the captain who put up a Conn Smythe performance with a broken foot? Carrying a below average team to 1 goal of the finals? That captain?

That was a post for X, if you must respond, try and read right to the end, the winky face is staring right at you.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
Way too early to judge this coach.

Team is playing better, but that isn't exactly unusual with the "new coach effect".

Reactions: NB613

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Ottawa had an absolutely dreadful start to the season and have been steadily improving since then. To me that seems less like a "honeymoon period" and more like a team gaining in confidence.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad