Sportsnet: Senators quarter mark report: Signs of culture change emerging in Ottawa

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Senators quarter mark report: Signs of culture change emerging in Ottawa - Sportsnet.ca

Smith said he wanted to change the culture in Ottawa, and there are clear signs of an identity emerging. The Senators get after it. They are physical — with 28 hits per game, Ottawa is second in the NHL to Pittsburgh’s 28.9. They pursue the puck and they never quit in games regardless of disparity on the scoreboard or shot clock. The plan from general manager Pierre Dorion and Smith was to instil this culture during the rebuilding phase and have it established by the time the team is more competitive a couple of years down the road. So far, so good.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Seems like another jinx article. Scanlan must be all in on the tank.

Same sorta article as a few weeks back. Also seems eerily similar to last year when the media around the city and Dorion were gloating about their start to the season and how they were so much better than everyone expected. And then what happened...?

While I really hope it's sustainable, we have seen many coaches come in here and have success early on. We have also seen the exact same articles on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Seems like another jinx article. Scanlan must be all in on the tank.

Same sorta article as a few weeks back. Also seems eerily similar to last year when the media around the city and Dorion were gloating about their start to the season and how they were so much better than everyone expected. And then what happened...?

While I really hope it's sustainable, we have seen many coaches come in here and have success early on. We have also seen the exact same articles on multiple occasions.

I would tend to agree with you except the eye test is decidedly different, in my opinion, this time around. I see a lot more defensive buy in from the team. It doesn't mean that they have improved significantly but I can definitely say that there's been an improvement.

However, it is still early in the season. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the team has an identity as I think they play the type of hockey that fits the roster (a fairly weak one). But I feel comfortable saying they've improved on last year's team and its performance.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s a hard way to play for 82 games.

The PP is going to have to get better as the grind sets in and other teams start to play with more desperation.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Every coaching change since Jacques Martin was about a "culture change". It's all just fluff because what else is there to write about.

that's a new coach... we'll see in two years.

tenor.0.gif

Reactions: NB613

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In the end the team on the ice is playing a style of play, and displaying a level of character that we have not seen in a long time.

Soooo much better than the last three years of lazy craptastic individualistic play.

It bodes well that we’ll add a couple of first rounders into a squad that has a core commuted to playing this way.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
In the end the team on the ice is playing a style of play, and displaying a level of character that we have not seen in a long time.

Soooo much better than the last three years of lazy craptastic individualistic play.

It bodes well that we’ll add a couple of first rounders into a squad that has a core commuted to playing this way.
Scanlan seemed pretty convinced last year too. Even calling them "endearingly feisty" and a "pleasant surprise".

Senators quarter mark report: Team eyes future in modest start - Sportsnet.ca

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd like to see Smith start to lean on some of the young players a little more. Giving them more responsibility on the PK and putting them on in critical times of the game. Its nice to win which is clearly his objective but he is riding certain players pretty hard in all situations. That can back fire if there are injuries and showing confidence in the young guys a bit at a time can help their confidence and overall play as well. He has them working hard and working together and he is getting some good goaltending from Nilsson at least but for me this season is about development and while that is not absent, I think it has to become more of a primary focus pre TDL.

I also have no idea where Dorion's head is at. Is he ready to trade Logan Brown , Colin White and a 1st for Duchene now?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agree with the consensus here. You really need to give a new coach a full year before you can really say what they're doing is going to work long-term. The new coach effect is a real thing.

That said, I do enjoy how the team has been playing so far. Strong work ethic, and it looks like the effort level in the 2nd periods are getting better. Baby steps towards playing a complete game.

At this point, I'd say it's ok to be cautiously optimistic, while also realizing we are still just out of the starting gate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Last year certainly, but at the very least in year 1 under Boucher, individualistic or lazy play was not the MO at all. imo the team started playing as individuals and cutting corners when they started losing faith in the system some time in year two. Year one was characterized as the team coming together and everyone pulling in the same direction, with all sorts of added motivational circumstances like Anderson's wife's medical scare, Clarke MacArthur's initial injury and subsequent miracle return, and Karlsson's play through severe late season injury.

Honestly, this same article could have been written in Nov of 2016 and nobody would bat an eye. It would be a major red flag if there wasn't "signs of culture change" right off the bat under a new coach when the last one lost the room.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
its too early for this, have to wait another year at least to see if there is a long term buy in

plus 90% of our team are playing for nhl jobs and this team literally had no expectations

need to see how the team does when more players are pencilled in for a role next year and we actually have some expectations

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Last year certainly, but at the very least in year 1 under Boucher, individualistic or lazy play was not the MO at all. imo the team started playing as individuals and cutting corners when they started losing faith in the system some time in year two. Year one was characterized as the team coming together and everyone pulling in the same direction, with all sorts of added motivational circumstances like Anderson's wife's medical scare, Clarke MacArthur's initial injury and subsequent miracle return, and Karlsson's play through severe late season injury.

Honestly, this same article could have been written in Nov of 2016 and nobody would bat an eye. It would be a major red flag if there wasn't "signs of culture change" right off the bat under a new coach when the last one lost the room.

Yeah I keep saying 3 when I mean 2. I guess it just feels like it’s been three years. The two years after the big run.

That last year with Andy coming back was the last magical time I enjoyed as a Sens fan. This new group of players and coaches makes me hopeful.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I keep saying 3 when I mean 2. I guess it just feels like it’s been three years. The two years after the big run.

That last year with Andy coming back was the last magical time I enjoyed as a Sens fan. This new group of players and coaches makes me hopeful.

Lol, yeah, the last two years have certainly felt much longer... I'll give you that for sure.

The one thing going for us right now is that while we lack the skill to be a playoff team and are trying to make up for it with work ethic, we also have the benefit of zero expectations, so hopefully as the loses pile up players will be able to shake it off. That will pay dividends when we get an infusion of skill as young players develop and more high end prospects are added into the roster.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol, yeah, the last two years have certainly felt much longer... I'll give you that for sure.

The one thing going for us right now is that while we lack the skill to be a playoff team and are trying to make up for it with work ethic, we also have the benefit of zero expectations, so hopefully as the loses pile up players will be able to shake it off. That will pay dividends when we get an infusion of skill as young players develop and more high end prospects are added into the roster.

Agreed. It does look as though they are trying to create a culture right off the bat, so that it’s there when we add more kids. Maybe it’s an eye towards having something in place if we decide to add some guys with more skill and less character to keep everyone accountable right from the get go.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm sure the "culture" of this team could be good too.

Tkachuk-Zibanejad-Stone
Dzingel-Duchene-Batherson
Formenton-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Chlapik

Wolanin-Karlsson
Chabot-Zaitsev
Alsing-Jaros
Lajoie

Nilsson/Hogberg/etc

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Tkachuk-Zibanejad-Stone
Formenton-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Chlapik

Wolanin-Karlsson
Chabot-Zaitsev
Alsing-Jaros
Lajoie

Nilsson/Hogberg/etc

Lead by a captain that doesn’t train in the summer, takes practices off when it suits him, and is not committed to the defensive aspect of the game?

How would it look with DJ benching EK?

;)

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Is there a strategy not to practice power play? Because if they hit at least 18% rate, they will be 500 team easy.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

Tkachuk-Zibanejad-Stone
Formenton-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Chlapik

Wolanin-Karlsson
Chabot-Zaitsev
Alsing-Jaros
Lajoie

Nilsson/Hogberg/etc

Formenton))) The kid will never play in NHL))) Has nothing outside of skating.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
its too early for this, have to wait another year at least to see if there is a long term buy in

plus 90% of our team are playing for nhl jobs and this team literally had no expectations

need to see how the team does when more players are pencilled in for a role next year and we actually have some expectations

Bolded part is key.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

Tkachuk-Zibanejad-Stone
Formenton-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Chlapik

Wolanin-Karlsson
Chabot-Zaitsev
Alsing-Jaros
Lajoie

Nilsson/Hogberg/etc

Sorry, how does Batheron become a 2nd line winger on a better iced team than we have now when he is currently in the Ahl and bombed when he had a opporunity to make the team earlier this year?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lead by a captain that doesn’t train in the summer, takes practices off when it suits him, and is not committed to the defensive aspect of the game?

How would it look with DJ benching EK?

;)

EK can be committed to winning. No player should ever decide if they skip a practice or not, even Connor McDavid

Formenton))) The kid will never play in NHL))) Has nothing outside of skating.

Well, technically he has already played 10 NHL games and he just turned 20 y/o 2 months ago

That being said, not only he has elite skating but he has other NHL attributes as well.

Sorry, how does Batheron become a 2nd line winger on a better iced team than we have now when he is currently in the Ahl and bombed when he had a opporunity to make the team earlier this year?

Because I simply goes past the fact that he is currently in the AHL? Or is it because you assumed that I was talking about tonight's game? Where did I say in my post that this line-up would be right now?

The fact that Batherson isn't lighting it up in the NHL right now has nothing to do with his future. Should have we given up early on Brown too, Paul, Hoffman, Dzingel and Zibanejad too. Well we actually kinda did regarding Zibanejad... Batherson is 21 y/o in his 2nd pro season and has 79 pts in 74 career AHL games...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->