Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Update 2013-2014 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Kid is flawless defensively. Almost like a 3rd defenseman out there. He never cheats and always takes care of his defensive responsibilities before worrying about the offensive side of things.

I'd send him back for another year to work on his offensive game - primarily his hands, puck carrying ability and playmaking ability - but he's NHL ready no question.

Agreed. Get rid of those Fisher hands and this kid will be a star.

It's amazing. This was a team that wasn't even projected to reach the Memorial Cup, and after all those grueling overtime games....to pull this off.....wow! All the kids on that team have a little something special.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Glad they won it. Not only for us and Lazar, but the whole team was rallying on the sudden passing of their teammate Pelss. It's fitting that they would win it for him.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
As disappointing as this is, I've been impressed with Lazar the whole tournament and I'm glad I got to see him play in person. He'll be in Ottawa soon enough.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, it's not always about the best team in these one-and-done situations. Many times, it's just who's better on that given day.

But man, those Edmonton kids must have jello legs by now. That's a helluva lot of hockey they've played over the past week.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
The only thing he can work on in the WHL is his confidence, cause honestly, at this stage, you either have hands and playmaking ability or you don't... can't really develop your hands

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The only thing he can work on in the WHL is his confidence, cause honestly, at this stage, you either have hands and playmaking ability or you don't... can't really develop your hands

I really hope Lazar is an exception to that. Those hands right now are 3rd liner hands at the NHL level. Purely dirty, workmanlike, scramble around the net type goals.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I really hope Lazar is an exception to that. Those hands right now are 3rd liner hands at the NHL level. Purely dirty, workmanlike, scramble around the net type goals.

He has a really good shot, but no, he will not develop super elite hands and will never be a top notch play maker. That doesn't happen at the age of 19.

He projects as a Ryan Callahan type of guy, perhaps a bit better goal scorer, but really that type of player. Expectations should be set accordingly. But there isn't absolutely nothing wrong with that, as he will be a fan favourite and he will be a valuable part of the puzzle going forward.

I expect he'll be on the RW for us in the bottom 6 to start next year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He has a really good shot, but no, he will not develop super elite hands and will never be a top notch play maker. That doesn't happen at the age of 19.

He projects as a Ryan Callahan type of guy, perhaps a bit better goal scorer, but really that type of player. Expectations should be set accordingly. But there isn't absolutely nothing wrong with that, as he will be a fan favourite and he will be a valuable part of the puzzle going forward.

I expect he'll be on the RW for us in the bottom 6 to start next year.

Agreed. He's a piece we definitely need and will fill a huge hole.

But, you know how people are. The top prospect needs to have mega points and be a superstar and sell popcorn in the stands during intermission or else he's a bust. I can see the hate coming for this kid in a few years when he maxes out around 50 points or so. :(

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
i don't think he will be an 80 point guy... but an extra year with the puck on his stick all the time will definitely help. probably pushes his max from 50 to 60. gets to work on his vision, puck control.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Watching Brassard last night made me think De Costa will be a lot like him - 50 point /18-22 goal guy who is smallish but plays a good game stretching the ice and usng his speed, also not afraid of the corners and does decent work along the boards jumping into open space.

Took a while for Brassard to get his feet under him, I think De Costa could be this type of deth player for us (Vermette / Deharnais also come to mind)

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
What do you see his potential as, relative to what other prospects are being hailed to become?

I've seen Curtis as 'Toews lite' since I first watched him play as a 16 year old. He lacks Toews puck skills but shoots the puck like him, skates like him, and plays defense like him. A nearly ideal second line centre.

Given that assessment of his potential I'd take him ahead of the following forwards drafted ahead of him:

Wennberg
Domi
Horvat
Lindholm

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
players dont just gain puck skills at this point but he needs to play lots of mins just to work on his strength. The question is will there be space on ottawa for those mins

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Kinda less impressive when you consider Duclair, Dea, and Joly put up 50, 49 and 44 in the regular season in that league.

Personally, I wanted Mantha at the draft but I'd rather have Lazar or Poirer now.

I don't put a lot of weight in QMJHL stats anymore (one of the reasons is goaltending is not as great as before anymore and D is not really good in general)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62397

Maxime Boisclair at 19 and 20 y/o :

2004-05 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 70 51 57 108 +9
2005-06 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 70 70 60 130 +39

Played 19 games in the AHL

Not saying they're comparable because Mantha should be a NHL player, but he is not a guaranteed star yet.

Wanted Mantha, Lazar or Horvat IIRC. Lazar seems to be more than we thought. At 17th overall, we should be kind of happy.

All that being said, I have no idea why this fascination and talk about a player the Ottawa Senators didn't select. This isn't Brian Lee over Kopitar or Marc Staal. The organization had to make a choice and it was Lazar, let's get over it?

mantha and lazar have been equally amazing imo in different ways. It gets tiring reading the posts claiming to know what these players will do in the future.
They both are/have been awesome, now we have to wait and see what happens at the next level. I don't see any obvious indications that either will fail.

Not as tiring yet as Couturier vs Zibanejad (not even close lol). Gosh it was annoying.

Lazar has been one of the best players on the ice no doubt. Ridiculous. Like others have noted, I'd want to send him down one more year to offensively dominate the league.

I think it doesn't matter that much for players with work ethic and determination like Lazar. Anywhere he plays, he will always work harder than others to get better. You can improve your puck skills in practice.

That's why I think he will benefit from playing vs tougher and more mature competition. You improve by playing against the best. AHL would be ideal but unfortunately it's not possible.

One thing we can hope is that even if he plays for the Sens next year, they will allow him to go to the WHJC

I could be dead wrong but it doesn't matter as I'm not among the people who will decide

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Watching Brassard last night made me think De Costa will be a lot like him - 50 point /18-22 goal guy who is smallish but plays a good game stretching the ice and usng his speed, also not afraid of the corners and does decent work along the boards jumping into open space.

Took a while for Brassard to get his feet under him, I think De Costa could be this type of deth player for us (Vermette / Deharnais also come to mind)

Hope so, I love me some Da Costa.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Agreed. He's a piece we definitely need and will fill a huge hole.

But, you know how people are. The top prospect needs to have mega points and be a superstar and sell popcorn in the stands during intermission or else he's a bust. I can see the hate coming for this kid in a few years when he maxes out around 50 points or so. :(

I hear ya, but I think when a player plays like Lazar, the fans will rally around regardless. More likely to make excuses for him not producing, than get on him if he doesn't.

I would think the expectations for a guy like Zibanejad are higher than Lazar, and they play a similar style game and likely project as similar type players to a degree. Lazar will be younger than Zib and most of the other core forwards on the team, so I expect others will bare the brunt of the fans dismay once Spezza is gone and he'll be shielded pretty well.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I don't put a lot of weight in QMJHL stats anymore (one of the reasons is goaltending is not as great as before anymore and D is not really good in general

Not as tiring yet as Couturier vs Zibanejad (not even close lol). Gosh it was annoying.
I don't have a source to back it up, just my own memory, but I'm pretty sure the Q has been just slightly behind the other two in the last couple years, not as all as high scoring comparatively as it used to be. I wouldn't put much stock into stats from '13 vs '05.

And the Mantha vs. Lazar thing is just on this board. I think the beaten to death argument is the Horvat vs. Lazar comparison, which I think Curtis is actually ahead (which is saying a ton since one was a top 10 pick)

If you were to go to the poll section and start a Mantha vs. Lazar comparison, I'm pretty sure Mantha would take it 4 to 1 however unfair it may be. Not only is he the hot topic of the year, he also has star potential which Lazar does not.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not discrediting Q scoring but whenever I see someone scoring a lot of goals in that league, I don't take it into serious consideration vs the other two.

So much high end scoring prospects that were highly coveted from that league amount to nobodies like Cormier, Esposito

DISCLAIMER: This is no knock on Mantha I'm speaking generally.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Not discrediting Q scoring but whenever I see someone scoring a lot of goals in that league, I don't take it into serious consideration vs the other two.

So much high end scoring prospects that were highly coveted from that league amount to nobodies like Cormier, Esposito

that can be said for either of the 3 leagues these days and Cormier was never a high end scorer while Espositos numbers fell in the QMJHL (and was a while ago)

unless you consider Connor Brown, Dane Fox, Kosmachuk, Holmberg, Petan ,Bjorkstrand top prospects

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Cormiers highest point total in the Q was 51.

There are guys like Justin Azvedo, Ben Duffy and Casey Pierro-Zabotel in all three leagues

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
C'mon. The guy does have some odd hands. Especially when taking the puck from backhand to forehand. Just something I've noticed. Needs works. Not a knock. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->