Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Lazar will be competing with Toews, Kopitar and/or Bergeron for the Selke, he will also win the calder and bring us a stanley cup in Ottawa. Book It!

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Lazar is great, probably top 10 pick if the draft was redone.

IIRC we were going to trade down and pick Lazar until they found out SJ was going to take him.

From what I saw from the memorial cup tournament, Lazar's line mates aren't that great and bring him down offensively. Anyways, I see a Tyler Seguin type player in him.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Lazar is great, probably top 10 pick if the draft was redone.

IIRC we were going to trade down and pick Lazar until they found out SJ was going to take him.

From what I saw from the memorial cup tournament, Lazar's line mates aren't that great and bring him down offensively. Anyways, I see a Tyler Seguin type player in him.

Tyler Seguin, eh....

Not bad.

Oct 15, 2008
Lazar's line and Lazar in particular were a shutdown line in this tourney. He played a largely defensive role. So people take away from that that he has poor hands. Well, he wasnt playing with the most gifted offensive players and he was in a defensive role. Taking one of the team as it were.

Guy scored 41G and 76pts in 58gms this year. Night in and night out he was the guy scoring the key goal/goals for the team. His hands are fine. He may not be John Tavares, but then again, I think everyone knew that anyway, but he IS a very good two way center and could very well be a very good #2C in the NHL one day.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With the depth at centre we have next year, especially if Spezza is still here, Lazar would probably have to make it as a wing. As a right handed shot, where should he line up.

- Spezza -
- Turris -
- Zibanejad -
- Lazar -
- DaCosta -
- Pageau -
- Smith -

Or do one (two?) of these guys slide across?

Hard to see where he fits as a centre, especially if Spezza stays. Spezza could return a centre as well (O'Reilly please)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
With the depth at centre we have next year, especially if Spezza is still here, Lazar would probably have to make it as a wing. As a right handed shot, where should he line up.

- Spezza -
- Turris -
- Zibanejad -
- Lazar -
- DaCosta -
- Pageau -
- Smith -

Or do one (two?) of these guys slide across?

Hard to see where he fits as a centre, especially if Spezza stays. Spezza could return a centre as well (O'Reilly please)

I think there was a quote from BM saying they see him as a RW with the big club. But my memory is bad.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
or a disaster in their own end

Maybe a Hoffman - Lazar - Zibanejad could also work.

Zibanejad has to grow into his role - it has really yet to be defined and this is the year. Hoffman is a sniper and can check. Lazar has defensive skills and can make plays. He also can put up points. Zibanejad has flashed signs but has yet to establish his strength.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How would that be a disaster? They would be a 3rd/4th line and are fine defensively.

two rookies on the same line with an inconsistent center could lead to a nightmare. Lazar and Hoffman still need to gain NHL strength and young guys like that will always be inconsistant till they gain xp.

Potential always looks good on paper but usualy inconsistant in real games. Sort of like Cowen - Weir this year or the kid line in EDM

Also Zibby might be our 2nd C next year

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
are you sold on Z as a centre. I agree he should grade out as top 6 in the end. I have not been sold on his attention to detail as a centre as of yet. RW might be a trade off for him - and we really need to leave Turris as the 2C. He dominated there last year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hoffman zibanejad lazar are all pretty responsible. Hoffman real surprised me with what he could do in the defensive end. He knows where to go and how to get the puck out. Zibanejad is just not a 2nd line center yet.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
two rookies on the same line with an inconsistent center could lead to a nightmare. Lazar and Hoffman still need to gain NHL strength and young guys like that will always be inconsistant till they gain xp.

Potential always looks good on paper but usualy inconsistant in real games. Sort of like Cowen - Weir this year or the kid line in EDM

Also Zibby might be our 2nd C next year

Hoffman is 24 years old, and is 5'11". I don't expect him to gain a tonne of extra muscle at this point, especially considering he was good enough to dominate the AHL, which is less skilled but probably a little rougher.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
are you sold on Z as a centre. I agree he should grade out as top 6 in the end. I have not been sold on his attention to detail as a centre as of yet. RW might be a trade off for him - and we really need to leave Turris as the 2C. He dominated there last year.

I wouldnt mind trying him at wing again but it depends on what we get back in the Spezza deal. The only reason i would move him to wing is if we get a better center in spezza deal or if we want to make room for Dacosta

I think Lazar will be a winger

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Holy hell this Lazar talk is getting way overboard. He's a nice player who will help us win more, through intangibles, rather than production. I don't see him as a star player though.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
I wonder if it will come down to Pageau Da Costa Hoffman and Lazar fighting over 1-2 spots in camp. I can see pageaus defensive game giving him a slight lead over the others, unless the Spezza trade brings back only prospects, than Da Costa will almost certainly be up.

I bet a lot of things will have to go wrong this summer for Lazar to have a spot guaranteed to him, but getting the 9 games does make sense to give a hungry kid a taste.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hoffman is 24 years old, and is 5'11". I don't expect him to gain a tonne of extra muscle at this point, especially considering he was good enough to dominate the AHL, which is less skilled but probably a little rougher.

he is still getting used to the speed of the nhl. That is what i mean by strength. When you are 24 and breaking into the league u definitely build strength especially as you get used to the speed and strength of your nhl opponents as well as tendencies. You only gain that with experience i rather have a vet presence on that line. Kind of like what Carter is to pearson and toffoli. He is always talking to them telling them where to be

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Holy hell this Lazar talk is getting way overboard. He's a nice player who will help us win more, through intangibles, rather than production. I don't see him as a star player though.

Talking about Lazar as a 2nd line player is way overboard? Okay..

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I wonder if it will come down to Pageau Da Costa Hoffman and Lazar fighting over 1-2 spots in camp. I can see pageaus defensive game giving him a slight lead over the others, unless the Spezza trade brings back only prospects, than Da Costa will almost certainly be up.

Those guys will mostly be competing with different players, although Pageau and Da Costa will likely be competing for a center spot. Hoffman plays the left side. Da Costa is a center, and only center. Pageau plays center, but can slide to the right side. Lazar is center / right winger, but likely to start at RW, if he can crack the Sens next year (a lot more responsibility on the center, not to mention getting used to the draws against pros). And yeah, the 9 game audition will probably make sense regardless of how he looks in camp. Get him some first hand experience, even if you are leaning towards sending him back before the season starts.

So Hoffman will be competing on the left side, where MacArthur and Greening are slotted in. Prince and Puempel will also be vying for a spot. Also likely a UFA at LW, if Michalek isn't back. Condra can slide over the left side, although typically plays RW.

At center, if Spezza is here, it will be very crowded. Spezza, Turris, Smith and Zibanejad are assured spots, although Zib might slide to the right side to make room for Pageau or Da Costa on the 4th line.

On the right side though, it is equally crowded, especially if Zibanejad goes right side. You have Ryan and Stone as well, along with Neil and Condra. Tough for Lazar to fit in there, unless Zib is center, and even still, he has to be better than Condra overall to make the team.

The real swing event is if Spezza gets moved, because everything then shifts around, and is somewhat dependent on what is coming back in the deal at forward. Better chance for Lazar though probably. Or maybe not.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Anybody here actually seen Fredrik Claesson play?

Could he not be an upgrade over Phillips next year as the third pairing LD? Him or Borowiecki?

Seems like something has to give on the left side, as we have four players vying for that bottom pairing spot:

Methot
Cowen

Phillips
Wiercioch
Borowiecki
Claesson

At best, one of them could switch sides to replace Gryba, but Wideman may also be challenging for that spot and may be better suited on his natural side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad