Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2014-2015 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
not so much now since their dollar sucks, but this doesn't apply to the Russian players. You can't always take them.

Sure, OK.

There are sometimes non-hockey and political reasons why you don't take a player from a specific country, but there should never be a reason you FAVOR one country over all others.

Talent should be the deciding factor, unless a specific "national" reason presents itself that suggests passing over a particular player.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've heard nothing but bad things about englund. Well not "bad". But mediocre. Extremely mediocre

Heard from where?

I've been following him on the boxscores and looks like he is being scratched every other game...

He's a defensive defenceman playing in the SEL immediately out of his draft year. That's almost unheard of and incredibly impressive... in fact, outside of Kylington, I think he's the youngest defenceman getting regular minutes in the SEL (*EDIT* also Forsling, I think. He's younger by a couple of months). I'm not surprised that he's getting scratched, almost all of his peers/ players his own age are playing an entire level lower in the Super Elite league.

The SHL is a men's league for men. The fact that he's even in that league as a player who isn't expected to put up points in the first place is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The only info you have an Englund is from these boards. Don't make things up.

I didn't make things up. I said "everything I've heard is mediocre"
Now. Whether what I heard is true or not is up for discussion. But the fact that I heard them is very very true.

And I actually made a thread in the SHL section of HFB. So I went to the source. Tried to get the input of people that have actually watched him play.

I also came across an article/ comments concerning him around the time of the world juniors. I don't have the link for that. But I remember people saying he's a run of the mill PKer, who does admittedly have some leadership qualities. But nothing more. He plays hard but lacks a lot in other places. I don't really have any reason to make this up.

I'm checking all my agendas now and this narrative doesn't fit any of them.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
OK, I checked again and I was wrong, Englund is not regularly scratched, even though he plays 5-10 minutes per game on a lowly team.
In other news, Wikstrand is on a 5-game point streak.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I've heard nothing but bad things about englund. Well not "bad". But mediocre. Extremely mediocre

Englund is Volchenkov with intangibles if all goes right. He's a known leader and somewhat sadly the sens emphasized how his attitude was awesome. Rather them talk about ability over attitude myself.

Englund was ranked by at least one NHL scouting service as a 7th or undrafted player. Remember he plays on a team that just got promoted to the SEL and is still very young. Englund's style imo is also better suited for the NA game then the european game

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Englund: http://www.shl.se/shl-arena/39163/administrator/index.php/statistics/profile/gamelog/2691/2014

Looks like he played pretty good minutes in the fall. Now he is used as a 7th defender.

Wikstrand: http://www.shl.se/shl-arena/39163/a...L/All/All/FHC/All/All/All/dec?lang=sv&count=0

Most TOI/G on his team while being the youngest Defenceman. 5-game point streak. Played 27:40 last game. :amazed:
Looks like he also added a couple of inches since being drafted. Listed as 6-02 on SHL website now.

Wikstrand is legit but remember when Wikstrand was Englund's age he wasnt even in the SHL.

DONT USE HOCKEY DB FOR WIKSTRAND. HIS STATS ARE INCORRECT ON THERE FYI TO EVERYONE or at least they dont show most of his stats lol

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Don't forget Claesson.

my dream

Methot - Karlsson
Wikstrand - Ceci
Englund - Claesson

Lehner
Hogberg

I'd like to see some of these guys make it but I think if you're making a "dream" scenario where guys reach their potential it should include Jared Cowen. If he plays to his potential he's an ideal partner for Ceci or Karlsson.

Cowen looks like the classic slow developing big defenseman, particularly with the time missed to injury. We need to give him more time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Englund: http://www.shl.se/shl-arena/39163/administrator/index.php/statistics/profile/gamelog/2691/2014

Looks like he played pretty good minutes in the fall. Now he is used as a 7th defender.

Wikstrand: http://www.shl.se/shl-arena/39163/a...L/All/All/FHC/All/All/All/dec?lang=sv&count=0

Most TOI/G on his team while being the youngest Defenceman. 5-game point streak. Played 27:40 last game. :amazed:
Looks like he also added a couple of inches since being drafted. Listed as 6-02 on SHL website now.
Dorion did tell us that he was one of the best defencemen playing outside the NHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Also listed at 196 lbs. That's a pretty good size for a puck moving D. Hope his skating has improved, as I understand that was one of the concerns.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Fridemann says Wikstrand is coming over next season and will push for a spot. We are actively looking to move a d-man as well.

We'll probably go with 11 D (Wikstrand, Claesson and Wideman added to the current core) and have to endure "inevitable upcoming trade" rumors all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad