Dreger: Senators plan to keep Phaneuf

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Makes sense, once it became apparent they couldn't get Methot back, why bother?

Sens need top-4, and Phaneuf played more minutes than Methot. Salary difference isn't that big either. Term isn't great, but I'm still fairly confident Phaneuf is fit enough to last a few more years.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Pilon is a good number 4, at 7 million That is a brutal contract. Dorian dropped the ball in his handling of the situation. Not that he wasn't going to likely lose him as I think McPhee was trying to extort him but when the opportunity to re-acquire came up I'm sure paying a 2020 2nd rounder and some no name prospect could have adult been affordable.

Sens could not of gotten Methot back for the price Dallas paid. We had to pay extra because we did not pay the expansion draft protection price. Dorion did not give in to GMGM ******** demands which IMO is good as you cant be let yourself be bullied into trades or everyone will be trying to take advantage of you.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens could not of gotten Methot back for the price Dallas paid. We had to pay extra because we did not pay the expansion draft protection price. Dorion did not give in to GMGM ******** demands which IMO is good as you cant be let yourself be bullied into trades or everyone will be trying to take advantage of you.

I know a lot of people have said this but is this in print anywhere?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Of course they are. Now if he'd waive his NTC that be a diff story.

NMC if you mean at the expansion draft.. yup that could have happened too. Pretty sure Vegas wouldn't touch it considering they didn't want players. They wanted picks and Phaneuf's $/term would be tough to trade.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
NMC if you mean at the expansion draft.. yup that could have happened too. Pretty sure Vegas wouldn't touch it considering they didn't want players. They wanted picks and Phaneuf's $/term would be tough to trade.

I'm sure if he'd be willing to waive the Sens organization would be singing a different tune. I love how their now spinning this as if they want the player.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm sure if he'd be willing to waive the Sens organization would be singing a different tune. I love how their now spinning this as if they want the player.

Spin is what Dorion does best. As far as I was concerned we were going to be stuck with the contract when we got it. He has helped the Sens and is a vast improvement on the tire fire they had before he came in. I think the trade Phaneuf talk was blown way overboard , just because there would be limited interest in the contract. I never really bought it and was surprised it was a thing. He is a decent player still; slow but he plays within his limitations and does a good job.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Let me offer you to everyone...oh no one wants you... You know what, we'd love to keep you...lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Let me offer you to everyone...oh no one wants you... You know what, we'd love to keep you...lol

Unfortunate but likely very close to true... not that no one wants him, no one was going to give a decent return and take on the term and contract. .. which amounts to close to the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad