Senators Off-Season Discussion 2024 Mega Thread

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is much of the same team that finished 26th overall, with the exception of adding a rookie into the top 9. We need to aim higher. I think it's going to take more than simply adding an RHD and a goalie to have this team improve at least 10 spots.
Yeah I get that. It’s not so easy is what I’m saying.
Like who would you be comfortable trading away from that lineup?
The players there are pretty good so it’s not as easy as just signing any old ufa. Which one of those guys can we reasonably find an upgrade for?

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Yeah I get that. It’s not so easy is what I’m saying.
Like who would you be comfortable trading away from that lineup?
The players there are pretty good so it’s not as easy as just signing any old ufa. Which one of those guys can we reasonably find an upgrade for?
I'm comfortable trading anyone if it's going to have a positive effect on the team. They're going to have to get crafty with free agents, trading picks and trading roster players to put together a more well-rounded team. Having a head coach that can teach the forwards how to play a more responsible two-way game will also be very beneficial.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I love it when someone pretends Korpisalo is movable and posts a proposal.

Gives me hope, even if for just a minute, that maybe, just maybe, there's someone out there foolish enough to trade us something that might actually be of some use even if on a terrible deal too.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Gives me hope, even if for just a minute, that maybe, just maybe, there's someone out there foolish enough to trade us something that might actually be of some use even if on a terrible deal too.
Are these the same people that think we have lots of money to spend next year?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Are these the same people that think we have lots of money to spend next year?
Well, could be. If anyone thinks Korpisalo is movable without us seriously taking it on the chin (think Jack Campbell, not Patrick Laine), then I have to assume they are on drugs of some kind.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Loach

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Did you say the same thing about Cam Talbot G the yr before? He seems to have rebounded with another team, why couldn't Korpisalo? He's been in the NHL for almost a decade & he is only 30 yrs old which is young for a goalie. The Sens traded Matt Murray to Toronto when most thought they wouldn't be able to trade him. There are plenty of examples of goalies traded from one team where they did poorly to another tream & rebounding.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Did you say the same thing about Cam Talbot G the yr before? He seems to have rebounded with another team, why couldn't Korpisalo? He's been in the NHL for almost a decade & he is only 30 yrs old which is young for a goalie. The Sens traded Matt Murray to Toronto when most thought they wouldn't be able to trade him. There are plenty of examples of goalies traded from one team where they did poorly to another tream & rebounding.
I hope you know that was also a joke about being on drugs, so no offence intended. I do think the Laine idea is nuts and not reasonable from Sens perspective, because it's too much long term pain for short term, but that's my own opinion.

I don't think he'll rebound because he's never really been that guy. Talbot and Murray had the benefit of being relatively solid consistently throughout their careers, and having better, longer peaks, whereas Korpisalo got signed off a clear outlier season with his hip surgeries propped up heavily as some golden goose to explain why the rest of his career wasn't indicative of who he really is. Imo, his career tells everyone what they need to know. This year statistically is closer to his career norms than last year with LA was. 4 of the last 5 seasons has him below .900 save %. I don't really get the "bouncing back" idea really at all tbh.

I will fly to Ottawa and dance down the canal naked if they can move this guy without some comparable contract/situation coming back.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Less money, $4.7 mil less. They might be able to move Korpisalo to someone else.

Yes, I know all of that, are you thinking he won't be able to play any more or has lost his skillset? He's 26 yrs old.
I was just adding info for people (in general) reading this thread. I wasn’t trying to comment on the trade proposal.

I would imagine he still has the physical skills. I can’t comment on the psychological issues. Whether he’s the type of player Staois would want is another matter. Not much of a book on Staois.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad