GDT: Senators@Leafs 7:30 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DTLmz6ZUMAA-owj.jpg:large

Wednesday game preview: Ottawa Senators at Toronto Maple Leafs

Matt Duchene has just six goals in 26 games, but four in his last five.

Wednesday game preview: Ottawa Senators at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

karlsson.jpg.size.custom.crop.813x650.jpg

Senators defenceman Erik Karlsson was minus-15 heading into Tuesday's games. (Derek Leung / GETTY IMAGES)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Tues., Jan. 9, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
PUCK DROP:
7:30 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Duchene/Matthews
Matt Duchene has played to mixed reviews since he was acquired from Colorado in early November. He had appeared in 26 games before Tuesday, with six goals and four assists, but four of those goals had come in his last five games. Auston Matthews continues to lead the Leafs in goals (19) and could line up against Duchene, if the Senator is healthy. He was a game-time decision against the Blackhawks Tuesday night.
NEED TO KNOW
Ottawa faced Chicago on Tuesday before heading to Toronto. The Senators were 10 points out of a wild-card berth heading into the game, not expected for a team that advanced to the third round of the playoffs last spring . . . Ottawa was 24th in goals (110) heading into Tuesday. Top forwards Mike Hoffman, Derick Brassard, Bobby Ryan and Duchene have all been in slumps in the first half . . . Erik Karlsson has three goals and 27 assists in 35 games but may be still finding his comfort zone after off season surgery to repair a tendon in his foot. His minus-15 has to change for the better . . . Former Leaf Dion Phaneuf is second in scoring among Senators defencemen, with three goals and 10 assists.
UP NEXT
Tuesday, vs. St. Louis, 7 p.m.

Maple Leafs prep for Senators, hope to enter break on high

Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Maple Leafs prep for Senators, hope to enter break on high

TORONTO — Wednesday’s game against the Ottawa Senators should mean much more to the Maple Leafs than just another chapter in the Battle of Ontario.
Coming off a major 3-2 letdown against the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Leafs have a record of 2-1-1 on their current home stand and need a win to reach positive points on their team-oriented five-game segment, as well as start their five-day break on the right note.
The Leafs regrouped Tuesday at their practice rink and though quite cross with his club for a series of late breakdowns that culminated in the loss, it appears coach Mike Babcock is not considering any changes beyond rotating rookie defenceman Travis Dermott out for Connor Carrick after two games. Dermott did not have a blueline partner on Tuesday while Carrick was restored with Jake Gardiner.
Dermott can be loaned back to the AHL Marlies for weekend road games in Charlotte and returned when Toronto resumes practice on Monday from its break.
leafs_61275206-e1515526730546.jpg

Travis Dermott during Leafs practice at the Mastercard Centre in Toronto on Tuesday January 9, 2018. Dave Abel/Toronto Sun

“I haven’t thought about it, not discussed it,” Babcock said of Dermott, who was on the ice for the Jackets fortunate first goal as the Leaf collapse began. “We’ll figure out that lineup tomorrow. We just bought time here today.”
It was the third straight game Toronto went to overtime or a shootout.
“I don’t think we’ve played as good as we can in the last while, but other teams are trying, too,” Babcock said. “There is not much to pick between anybody. Our last three were overtime and it seems that way every night. It doesn’t matter if a team is on the top of the standings or the bottom, you know it will be a good game.

leafs_61275202-e1515526752618.jpg

Patrick Marleau battles with Travis Dermott during Leafs practice at the Mastercard Centre in Toronto on Tuesday January 9, 2018. Dave Abel/Toronto Sun

“We stole a game (Saturday) from Vancouver with 10 or 11 minutes left and (Monday) night (Columbus) did the same. We owned the majority of that game, but the hockey gods have a way of getting you. When you cheat the system once, they get you back. We have one game left before our break, it’s against Ottawa, we know it’s going to be hard and we have to get prepared.”
The loss to Columbus was marked by a rare Morgan Rielly error, his pass to Patrick Marleau picked off and turned into the tying goal.
“We know the structure,” Rielly said. “We can execute, but there are little things in the course of a game we have to better at.”
With this being such a harsh winter, it’s a good bet the Leafs choose a warmer climate to spend time after Wednesday.
“First message is to make sure everyone has their trip organized today,” Babcock advised. “So when the game’s on tomorrow, you’re focused on the points. As a young coach, I would have wanted them to take their skates to the Bahamas and find some ice, but (in today’s NHL) that’s not happening.
“You pick the battles you can. We have a good sports science team that will give them info on how they can help themselves and go from there. Then we have to get back and get going (next Tuesday against St. Louis at the Air Canada Centre). Any time you take time off and have to get the motor running and skating again, it’s not as easy as you think.
“The good thing is the teams you’re playing off this break are doing the same things you have.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sens and Leafs game are normally always close and hard fought. Anybody expecting some sort of blow out or domination is likely going to be somewhat disappointed.

We've been pretty good lately, so I'm hoping we can keep that going,

Reactions: Elephanto

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Never a better opportunity to get the monkey off Andy's back with a win tonight. The Sens have the Leafs number in recent memory.

It would be nice to have one game this year that they dominate from start to finish. A win would be a very nice way to head into the bye week.

Reactions: paul pearce

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Going to the game tonight so I hope its a good hard fought game with matthews putting up a hat trick and us of course winning!

GO LEAFS GO

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
win please. we can be nice and give'em a point, but win in regulation.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Anyone else want Dermott in the lineup, and Polak out of the lineup?

Oh wait, did someone say he's a great penalty killer?

Reactions: Zizzzzy

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You're just a #hater though. He's the BEST defensive defenseman on this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't have a good feeling heading into this game... I know we should win, but those seem to be the ones we don't. Sens got embarrassed last night, so they will be putting in an honest effort tonight. All we need to do is match their effort and we should be okay...

I don't see the point in taking Dermott out of the lineup if that is the way it goes... but that won't be the reason we lose (not that we will).

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains

I also dislike Polak and I can't believe Dermott will be scratched but in all fairness those numbers without Polak on the PK probably have Zaitsev killing penalties.

When Zaitsev is back though.. No excuses.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Nothing more do I want right now than a similar beat down to how we handled the habs.

We need it. That last game had my blood boiling a Bit, played good hockey for the majority of the game...but couldn't close out a winded team.

Get back on track and start pumping goals in.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I also dislike Polak and I can't believe Dermott will be scratched but in all fairness those numbers without Polak on the PK probably have Zaitsev killing penalties.

When Zaitsev is back though.. No excuses.

Yes, you're right. Dermott though is the most important defenseman on the Marlies when it comes to the penalty kill though. Why can't he handle #4 duty.

Plus when you look at Polak's underlying stats on the PK, he's worse than Hainsey/Zaitsev/Rielly, and the first two of those guys play almost the entire PK anyway.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

If only two goalies go from the Atlantic, it's not shocking that Freddy isn't one of them (even though he's been the 2nd best goalie in the division)/

After Vasilevsky being the obvious best one, Price is literally the only all-star Montreal can send. Plus Rask has had this hot-streak right before the break where he's been amazing - recency bias.

When it comes to defenseman though, the only one other than Karlsson (who is obviously Ottawa's one player) that should be in the conversation for the 3 best defenseman in the division with Rielly is Hedman (Tampa should already be sending Kuch/Stamkos/Vas). It would feel like a gigantic snub not including Rielly.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
After being embarrassed, the Sens will come out hard.

OTOH they're the worst road team with only 1 win since Nov 19-and shutout 5x.
The Leafs have to be wary.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
How about with Zaitsev and Polak out?

Obviously there's no stat for that as it hasn't happened this year, but what that shows is there is no difference between having Polak on the PK, and not having him.

It's not worth the penalties, or the brutal 5v5 play to play our "average" level on the PK.

My hope is just that when Z comes back, Polak is out for good.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Obviously there's no stat for that as it hasn't happened this year, but what that shows is there is no difference between having Polak on the PK, and not having him.

It's not worth the penalties, or the brutal 5v5 play to play our "average" level on the PK.

My hope is just that when Z comes back, Polak is out for good.

I'd rather Polak than Carrick.

One knows his limitations the other doesn't.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev / Dermott
Borgman - Dermott / Zaitsev

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
f***ers, I like Duchene, of course they trade for him. You know he's gonna score too.

And we have SCURRRRRRRSSS! and RIGHT THERE! to listen to as well.

I might just sleep through this one.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd rather Polak than Carrick.

One knows his limitations the other doesn't.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev / Dermott
Borgman - Dermott / Zaitsev

One has good underlying stats, and makes Borgman better (albeit looks bad with Gardiner). The other is bad and makes his partners bad.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
One has good underlying stats, and makes Borgman better (albeit looks bad with Gardiner). The other is bad and makes his partners bad.
who doesnt look bad with Gardiner? serious question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad