News Article: Senators head coach D.J. Smith paid his dues on his road to the top

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Looks like will see if he continues to pay the piper.

Smith makes no bones about the fact being a head coach is something he’s wanted and has worked for since late in his playing career. He did what it took to get here, he rode the buses in the Ontario Hockey League with Windsor for six seasons as an assistant and then spent three years as a head coach with the Oshawa Generals.

Smith was the only candidate Dorion and MacTavish met with twice. They flew to Windsor for the second meeting because they wanted to do their due diligence. Dorion likes the fact that Smith filled out his staff with two former head coaches — Jack Capuano and Davis Payne — along with eye-in-the-sky Bob Jones, who worked with Smith in Windsor.

“He has the ability to push the right buttons,” Boughner says. “Whether it comes to a skilled guy or a goalie, everybody is going to know their expectations and they’re going to know exactly what their job is. That’s what he does.

“And that’s the best part about D.J., he’s going to go home with losses, but he’s going to come to the rink the next day and it’s going to be a new day. He realizes he has a young team and an up-and-coming team, but the players need to know when they come to the rink that he’s got their back and he’s not going to hold himself higher than anybody else. He’s going to hold himself to the same standards.”

ts20171023cr020.jpg

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I was curious if he’s the lowest paid head coach in the league?

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Curious about the random advertisement that Warren Rychel sold his shares for the Windsor spitfires, stepped down as GM and would make a valuable asset to any NHL teaming looking to add him to its front office

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Curious about the random advertisement that Warren Rychel sold his shares for the Windsor spitfires, stepped down as GM and would make a valuable asset to any NHL teaming looking to add him to its front office
I also thought that part was a little bizarre. Random plug or is BooBoo dropping little hints about a future Sens hire here?

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Probably just giving him a shoutout

Pretty good article, don’t usually see these from Bruce

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm open to him, but it feels like more of the same to me. Hire only out of a pool of the cheapest candidates available and hope to strike gold.

Maybe THIS time it'll work.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm open to him, but it feels like more of the same to me. Hire only out of a pool of the cheapest candidates available and hope to strike gold.

Maybe THIS time it'll work.

Let's see if we can make it 1 outta 10

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let's see if we can make it 1 outta 10
I still feel like some of previous hires were undercut by the refusal to address gaping holes in the roster. Maclean in particular could have been a good hire had we addressed the weak spots in the roster.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I still feel like some of previous hires were undercut by the refusal to address gaping holes in the roster. Maclean in particular could have been a good hire had we addressed the weak spots in the roster.

Macleans message just wasn't getting across to the players anymore. The year Maclean got fired is the year Cameron took over and Hammond/Stone/Karlsson brought the team to the playoffs when they seemed to be well out of it already. The same exact roster went from one of the worst in the NHL to one of the best. It's not representative of the roster we had, more to the motivation and the willingness of the players to work hard and do everything they could to get a W. Had Maclean really been that good of a coach, he would've most likely had a chance to be a head coach once again as well not to mention he was let go as Assistant coach for the Ducks. When Cameron took over is when Stone and Hoffman finally got more responsibilities, and lesser players started getting less and less ice time.

This is a statement from Murray after the firing:

"I thought when he came here he was a guy who related very well to the players... but that kind of drifted," Murray said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2864454

If you can't hire a coach that'll get the players attention for more than 2 years you seriously need to look at who you hire and what's the revolving theme. We need a coach that can be respected by the players long term, someone with experience and pedigree that is well respected across the league but you have to pay for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad