Rumor: Senators have given interested teams permission to discuss contract with Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
To be honest i'd like to see Ottawa get quality assets in the trade + some picks. They should get a package that includes 1 quality regular player who immediately fits into their roster, then some quality prospects & then some 1st & 2nd round picks.

I get the feeling were going to see a Tavares like crap in MLB when Trout bolts to the Phillies in 2020 talking about how he dreamed of playing for them as a kid. Ottawa is probably not going to make the mistake the Islanders make, after seeing the Tavares situation I doubt Ottawa is gonna let him walk for nothing.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
To be honest i'd like to see Ottawa get quality assets in the trade + some picks. They should get a package that includes 1 quality regular player who immediately fits into their roster, then some quality prospects & then some 1st & 2nd round picks.

I get the feeling were going to see a Tavares like crap in MLB when Trout bolts to the Phillies in 2020 talking about how he dreamed of playing for them as a kid. Ottawa is probably not going to make the mistake the Islanders make, after seeing the Tavares situation I doubt Ottawa is gonna let him walk for nothing.
Agreed. There's no chance Dorion lets him get past the trade deadline without moving him. Even then, seems like they're actually gonna move him over the next few days. Someone just needs to make a serious offer.

Tampa once again probably needs a third team to come in to absorb some salary, especially if they're going to insist Ryan is included.

I like Dallas' chances to get him.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
What teams gonna pay the same price for 1 year as a team that he wants to resign with ?

By all accounts we have so far, the Stars/Knights/Lightning are the only teams he will sign with long-term and none of them are putting forth offers that are much better than what we could get from another team for 1 year of Karlsson.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
By all accounts we have so far, the Stars/Knights/Lightning are the only teams he will sign with long-term and none of them are putting forth offers that are much better than what we could get from another team for 1 year of Karlsson.

The rumored offers thus far have seemed underwhelming, but at least Vegas is offering to take Ryan. Most agree that Ottawa shouldn’t devalue Karlsson’s return with that contract but Dorion/ Melnyk seem hell bent of doing just that.

I’m a biased Vegas fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I imagine that the deal is still likely to get done with VGK, but since there weren’t enough suitors that were willing to take on Ryan’s contract, the Senators felt the need to open it up to other teams to fill out the market a bit and hopefully force GMGM to come back to the table with a bigger offer. The fact that “sources” are reporting that Dallas has a better offer, while also acknowledging that:

A. Heiskanen is not involved
B. Ryan’s contract is not involved

Seems contrary to what the Senators have been trying to do all along. I get that Honka is a solid prospect. but any deal that has Honka in it as a main piece without Heiskanen can’t possibly be better than the rumored deals involving Shea Theodore, especially when you consider the Ryan factor. This is really going to come down to who blinks first.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

Thank you Sureves.

I am not being stupid. EK has to go to where he is traded, he is under contract. Maybe when he wins the Cup in Winnipeg next year he decides he likes it here.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Thank you Sureves.

I am not being stupid. EK has to go to where he is traded, he is under contract. Maybe when he wins the Cup in Winnipeg next year he decides he likes it here.
I think the point is, are teams willing to give up a premium for EK knowing they aren't one of the teams he's willing to sign an extension with?

If I'm the GM of a team that isn't Vegas, TB or DAL, I don't even consider moving for EK at value. You know you have an uphill battle in trying to change his mind about where he wants to extend. So do you risk the high end prospects and picks Ottawa will want to possibly lose Karlsson in a year? Maybe a team that's considered a true contender could risk it, but I doubt they will.

That leaves the market more or less as the 3 reported teams. They know what everyone else knows. The offers aren't likely to get much better than they are now.

I am honestly kind or stumped as to why Yzerman hasn't made this happen yet, though. He has some salary he can move now to fit EK and then has all season to worry about going forward.

Just seems to me that when arguably the best defenseman in the last decade wants to play for you, you make it happen .

Reactions: Bfantz

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson has scored at .82PPG pace his entire career has won 2 norris trophies and been nominated for another 2 was talked about as a top 3 player in the league just last year with Crosby and McDavid and fans don't want to give up your top prospect for the guy. WHAT THE ACTUAL F . This board is crazy.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I’d easily give up Makar for EK. Just depends on the other adds that Ottawa wants. Plus it doesn’t sound like EK is willing to re-sign in Colorado, and there’s no point in Colorado trading for him as a one-year rental right now.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

If this is true then holy hell - Vegas can have him.

I don't understand why Vegas would do this though....they are a second year expansion team. Why give up so much of your foundation?

Because it’s one of the best dmen around, if not the best.

And they are in compete now mode. That’s a whole lot of goods, but a lot of unproven goods.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Karlsson has scored at .82PPG pace his entire career has won 2 norris trophies and been nominated for another 2 was talked about as a top 3 player in the league just last year with Crosby and McDavid and fans don't want to give up your top prospect for the guy. WHAT THE ACTUAL F . This board is crazy.
I know it sounds crazy, but that's the reality of the cap world. I have no doubt Sergachev and Foote will never be Karlsson, but at the same time we know their best years are ahead of them on much lower cost controlled contracts. We know who Karlsson is now but who will he be in 5 years when he's still getting paid $10m+ and several more years to go? There's a lot of risk in that, especially so if you had to sell the future to get there.

Reactions: Karitimes

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I see Karlsson has bulked up to play for the Warriors. Normally he is 165 lbs skinny white guy.
I read he is Johnny Depp's double during Pirates of the Carribean shoots.

Alan Wake

Dec 14, 2017
Well, Tampa fans are more than willing to give up their top prospect or Sergachev for him.

We just won't give up said top prospect or Sergachev with Point. If we did, he'd be a Bolt tonight. Very few teams would match that. But Point is an important part of our offense, and more importantly, he's cap controlled for a few more years after he signs a bridge deal.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well, Tampa fans are more than willing to give up their top prospect or Sergachev for him.

We just won't give up said top prospect or Sergachev with Point. If we did, he'd be a Bolt tonight. Very few teams would match that. But Point is an important part of our offense, and more importantly, he's cap controlled for a few more years after he signs a bridge deal.

I think Ottawa could work with TB to get this done. One or the other, presumably Sergachev, then pile on other pieces until they're at an understanding. I think it might actually be fun to go to a pub with Yzerman and your documents and hammer out a massive trade.

But then...if Ottawa ever wants to hoist the Cup again, they're giving a division rival a key piece for the next 4-5 years.

Alan Wake

Dec 14, 2017
I think Ottawa could work with TB to get this done. One or the other, presumably Sergachev, then pile on other pieces until they're at an understanding. I think it might actually be fun to go to a pub with Yzerman and your documents and hammer out a massive trade.

But then...if Ottawa ever wants to hoist the Cup again, they're giving a division rival a key piece for the next 4-5 years.
They're still going to get really good pieces out of it. I hate the idea of giving a 19 year old defender in the playoffs. I don't think we've had a 19 year old play in our defense in the playoffs since Hedman. He's definitely the kind of guy you want coming back when you're going to lose Karlsson anyway.

Plus if we do get Karlsson, there's just no room in our loaded top 4 for him, so it's better to use his value to get that #1 RHD that we've been needing forever. Here's hoping Yzerman realizes he's worth it and makes a good offer. Unlike Tavares, there actually is strong connections with Karlsson and this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad