Senators Defensive System

Milan the God*

How great has our defensive system been this year?

Last year, we were seventh in the league in goals allowed. Part of this is because of Anderson's injury and our terrible start. But the stats do speak.

Anderson has had an incredible start to the year. His save percentage and goals-against-average is very good. Bishop, too, has had a good start to the year. The Rangers stats and his below average game against the Lightning have certainly brought down his stats, although they are still solid.

However, I think more credit needs to be given to the defensive system we have in place. While our goaltenders have been solid, I think the system is helping them out a bit. Remember, we're missing our young, top four shutdown defenseman and our Norris winning defenseman. Phillips and Gonchar have each aged a year. Methot has been playing great and is a huge upgrade on Kuba. We also have some players who have been AHL players in the lineup. With no Karlsson and Cowen, our defense has certainly gotten worse this year.

Here is the Sens stats this year for goals against (not counting the shootout as a goal against so Pittsburgh's game is 1 goal against)

Games with 0 goals against: 2
Games with 1 goal against: 8
Games with 2 goals against: 4
Games with 3 goals against: 3
Games with 4+ goals against: 2

So for 14/19 of our games, we've only allowed two or less goals.
10/19 games we've only allowed one goal or less.

I think Andy is having a great year, but I think we need to give some credit to the defensive system we have in place.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
It goes to show that our staff is making the most out of what they've got.

You don't need much talent to play solid defence, just hard work, and this just shows it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I made a couple long posts at the start of the year saying how Ottawa has developed a new system that consequently develops an unbelievable strong defensive system.

The new system of MacLean is kind of like Barcelona in soccer. Play a puck-possession game and when you don't have the puck, you get it back with timely defensive plays and strong awareness on your defensive alignments that force the other team to play as you set-up defensively. This results to more committed and organized style of play as well as more transitions into an offensive role that creates more shots on net.

Remember how we were second in the league in shots on net and yet ALSO the best team defensively. It's not a coincidence, it's one thing that leads to another.

Tonight, the Leafs had literally no real scoring chance. Bishop played a great game but Anderson would have had a shutout quite easily tonight, imo. Defense has been spectacular but it's NOT individual defensive plays but the forwards coming back and helping out making it all so much easier.

barabr10

UM ya that;s right
Jul 4, 2011
ottawa
I will say this once and only once defence wins championships. It's the most important position in hockey imo. With solid defence goaltending stats start to look impressive (ben bishop). Bishop, lehner, and Anderson have been extremely solid the last 2 seasons because our defence isn't leaving them out to dry and allowing them to see shots and control rebounds.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
I made a couple long posts at the start of the year saying how Ottawa has developed a new system that consequently develops an unbelievable strong defensive system.

The new system of MacLean is kind of like Barcelona in soccer. Play a puck-possession game and when you don't have the puck, you get it back with timely defensive plays and strong awareness on your defensive alignments that force the other team to play as you set-up defensively. This results to more committed and organized style of play as well as more transitions into an offensive role that creates more shots on net.

Remember how we were second in the league in shots on net and yet ALSO the best team defensively. It's not a coincidence, it's one thing that leads to another.

The Barca comparison is spot on. Karlsson was our Messi of sorts, someone who could hold onto puck into shooting distance. In this new system I'm seeing less and less boneheaded individual plays, due to the nature and the mindset of the new system.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I was one of those who was very worried about our defensive group going into the season, even with Erik on there, but the number of quality scoring chances allowed against is is absurdly low. Weird saying this having gotten the numbers of saves per shot that we have, but I actually think the GA number should be even lower, since there have been some semi-soft and full-on soft goals against both goaltenders. That's always going to happen at some rate unless you have an absolute top-tier goalie, though, I guess.

Can't complain about D in their own zone so far. Au contrair, they deserve all the praise in the world.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I was one of those who was very worried about our defensive group going into the season, even with Erik on there, but the number of quality scoring chances allowed against is is absurdly low. Weird saying this having gotten the numbers of saves per shot that we have, but I actually think the GA number should be even lower, since there have been some semi-soft and full-on soft goals against both goaltenders. That's always going to happen at some rate unless you have an absolute top-tier goalie, though, I guess.

Can't complain about D in their own zone so far. Au contrair, they deserve all the praise in the world.

Anderson has virtually no soft goals against. All of that has been said about our defensive system is true. But let's give Anderson a ton of credit. He swallows pucks like no one else has. He gives up virtually no second chances.... His rebound control is his greatest skill. As soon as it touches him the offensive chance is over. Bishop hasn't looked as good visually because he can let out crazy rebounds.... At least compared to the godlike play of Anderson this year. Bishop though has played quite well, he is amazing at making the net really small and not reacting. He doesn't even seem to flinch on shots that are wide of the net. He has been awesome in shootouts and clearly has confidence.

And there is every forward on the team.... Totally committed to defence. And covering up whenever needed. Phillips for example seems to quite often, more then in past years... Carry the puck into the corner on offence to try to start a play up. When he does he îs always coveted by a forward.

The system remains... Without Karlsson. We still gain possession of the puck a lot... But we lose it more often in the neutral zone or bringing it into the offensive zone, or keeping it there.

I love our system. In the Leafs game it was relentlessly exciting... Not a boring system to watch. Still effective without Karlsson.

Maclean is awesome. He might be our 2nd MVP after Anderson so far!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's not our defense. We're 27th in the league for shots against per game

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
On a side note I can't wait until we've got Cowen on one line and methot on another

Karlsson - methot
Cowen - weir/benoit/ceci
Philips - boro/ gryba/lundin

PLUS Vickstrand and anyone else who excels

Good competition of players at every spot except number one d

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
On a side note I can't wait until we've got Cowen on one line and methot on another

Karlsson - methot
Cowen - weir/benoit/ceci
Philips - boro/ gryba/lundin

PLUS Vickstrand and anyone else who excels

Good competition of players at every spot except number one d

We could have a very balanced D group if Ceci eventually fills that top four spot:

Methot/Cowen - Karlsson
Methot/Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Borowiecki

I love the way that group is shaping up.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
This team has been one of the better defensive teams in the league since the Turris trade. Not saying it's all Turris but the makeup of the team changed and roles became more defined at that point. MacLean also got to know what would work and what wouldn't by that point. Looks like he wants a full contingent contributing and not guys that have major deficiencies and end up stapled to the bench. Last night against TO, the 4th line played twice as much as the Leafs 4th line. Da Costa was one of those guys he didn't trust and he's back in Bingo.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
I also think gonchar stepped up after karlsson went down and he's been playing solid hockey, making smart and right decisions on the defensive end

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Steve Simmons on The Reporters argued that the Senators organizational system is strong because they play the same way in the AHL as they do in the NHL, making it easier to slot guys in when they get called up.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I also think gonchar stepped up after karlsson went down and he's been playing solid hockey, making smart and right decisions on the defensive end

He definitely played better last night than the two previous games, but some credit for that may be the play or Wiercoich who was very good last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad