Management Senators and Team Contracts

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Trying to gain more insight on how many of these draft picks will need to be flipped into rosters players or future picks to avoid contract limitations.

I think the Sens are sitting around 28/50 contract spots with 10/23 roster positions signed. That means we will go to 38/50 spots at least and have 12 open spots with around 13 picks this year. We won’t sign them all but I curious to see hear how much of a back log we may have.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Trying to gain more insight on how many of these draft picks will need to be flipped into rosters players or future picks to avoid contract limitations.

I think the Sens are sitting around 28/50 contract spots with 10/23 roster positions signed. That means we will go to 38/50 spots at least and have 12 open spots with around 13 picks this year. We won’t sign them all but I curious to see hear how much of a back log we may have.
it doesn't matter. It will just happen.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

The picks won’t all sign contracts right away. Some sign after a year, some play multiple NCAA or Euro seasons before signing. There is plenty of room on the reserve list.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The picks won’t all sign contracts right away. Some sign after a year, some play multiple NCAA or Euro seasons before signing. There is plenty of room on the reserve list.

nice paraphrase - I was looking for a little more beyond that.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
My point is the 50 contract limit won’t be an issue as not all picks will sign right away.

I think that’s an overly simplistic view - maybe the crunch comes in 2-3 years but at some point a focus will have to move players into the roster. If they add a bunch of AHL contacts they will have 20+ draft picks to sign soon.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Fans always get concerned by this but teams always lose 8-10 contracts a year.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think that’s an overly simplistic view - maybe the crunch comes in 2-3 years but at some point a focus will have to move players into the roster. If they add a bunch of AHL contacts they will have 20+ draft picks to sign soon.
It's easier to move picks than player.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What view is it that you are looking for?

Is it possible given the number of prospects and draft picks we have that we end up with a crunch downstream? Yes. And if that happens, will something have to be done? Yes

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What view is it that you are looking for?

Is it possible given the number of prospects and draft picks we have that we end up with a crunch downstream? Yes. And if that happens, will something have to be done? Yes

I view the Brown trade as the first step in converting an asset that needs to be signed in 2-3+years into a signed asset now for the next 0-2+ years. Just speculating how much attention to these types of deals we may see ? Maybe 3-5?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so we have 36 contracts right now, and will presumably re-sign Tierney, Duclair, C.Brown, J.Brown, Paul, Balcers, Jaros, Daccord, Chlapik and maybe Hawryluk.

So that brings us up to 46.

Reserve list has JBD and Pinto who will certainly get signed, but perhaps not right away as they have committed to their NCAA team if it plays, after that Sogaard and I'm going to guess Guinette could get a contract but neither need to be signed till 2021. Crookshank can go to 2022.

This year's 3OA will get a contract right away, 5OA might as long as we don't pick Sanderson who will be back in the NCAA, so that brings us to 48, maybe we sign whoever we pick 28th,

in 2022 we have a couple guys that will just drop off in Anisimov, Rielly, Cacone, and perhaps Lajoie so that will make room too.

I don't see us as tight yet, I guess if all our picks hit and earn contracts, but that's a good problem to have.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ok, so we have 36 contracts right now, and will presumably re-sign Tierney, Duclair, C.Brown, J.Brown, Paul, Balcers, Jaros, Daccord, Chlapik and maybe Hawryluk.

So that brings us up to 46.

Reserve list has JBD and Pinto who will certainly get signed, but perhaps not right away as they have committed to their NCAA team if it plays, after that Sogaard and I'm going to guess Guinette could get a contract but neither need to be signed till 2021. Crookshank can go to 2022.

This year's 3OA will get a contract right away, 5OA might as long as we don't pick Sanderson who will be back in the NCAA, so that brings us to 48, maybe we sign whoever we pick 28th,

in 2022 we have a couple guys that will just drop off in Anisimov, Rielly, Cacone, and perhaps Lajoie so that will make room too.

I don't see us as tight yet, I guess if all our picks hit and earn contracts, but that's a good problem to have.

Nice summary - so 48 max but if we find two bodies, either dead cap money like Hossa or a player like Strome, Stepan, or any UFA we are full.

Feels like we will need to move a contact in most trades ?

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Well bear in mind contracts aren’t being renewed too; we’re losing Boro, Anderson, Ryan and then you’ve got an amount of guys in Bingo who won’t be bought back to likely accommodate new draft picks from this year (and prev years).

I don’t think there’s much to worry about, other than reaching the cap floor. I have enough faith (somehow) that we’re not gonna mess up our contract numbers.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

EiNk9wJXkAgBFAz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice summary - so 48 max but if we find two bodies, either dead cap money like Hossa or a player like Strome, Stepan, or any UFA we are full.

Feels like we will need to move a contact in most trades ?

Or we could not sign Jaros and Hawryluk.

I supect to keep flexibility in our contract totals we might move guys like Aspirot, Carcone, Parker, Alsing or even Lajoie if push came to shove, there is little worry of us being forced to give up on guys we still see a lot of potential in.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Or we could not sign Jaros and Hawryluk.

I supect to keep flexibility in our contract totals we might move guys like Aspirot, Carcone, Parker, Alsing or even Lajoie if push came to shove, there is little worry of us being forced to give up on guys we still see a lot of potential in.

Makes sense ... there is something to be said about having to “dump/include” prospects like Kelly and Lajoie of bailing on Jaros. Hopefully PD would be able to get fair value. Did you could Anderson and Ryan in your count ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Makes sense ... there is something to be said about having to “dump/include” prospects like Kelly and Lajoie of bailing on Jaros. Hopefully PD would be able to get fair value. Did you could Anderson and Ryan in your count ?

Neither are under contract so no. Numbers came from capfriendly.

Reactions: Sweatred

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
There's no issue with contracts.

Players come and go all the time in every NHL organization. B level prospects either make the team or they move on and someone else gives them a chance.

It's not dumping or getting fair value in a trade. Many AHL RFA's go unqualified each year. Lots of these players get a chance with a team and if doesn't work out, they move on to another team where it might be a better fit for the team and the player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There's no issue with contracts.

Players come and go all the time in every NHL organization. B level prospects either make the team or they move on and someone else gives them a chance.

It's not dumping or getting fair value in a trade. Many AHL RFA's go unqualified each year. Lots of these players get a chance with a team and if doesn't work out, they move on to another team where it might be a better fit for the team and the player.

Yes there isn't and there won't be.

It's like the salary cap, professionals are paid to deal with it.

There's so many things you can do to fix either and they plan things ahead, years ahead. Fans do not have to worry about this.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect them to move Anisimov, Reilly & maybe even Nilsson before the trade deadline as well as a few other possibilities including Tierny, Hawryluk (maybe Duclair) or any of their B-prospects in a trade.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm not too worried about the contract limits. Worst case scenario you dump some of our lesser prospects. You might get burnt on one or two, but I'd rather take that chance than trade a bunch of picks for fear of running out of space.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I expect them to move Anisimov, Reilly & maybe even Nilsson before the trade deadline as well as a few other possibilities including Tierny, Hawryluk (maybe Duclair) or any of their B-prospects in a trade.

I doubt that there is a market for Anisimov or Nilsson or Haryluk. Reilly might be acquired by a team needing a backup defensemen for the next playoffs. Tierney could be traded if his contract is not too high or long in term. i would rather keep Duclair, provided that he returns to his form when he got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad