Post-Game Talk: Senators 6, Penguins 4 - IT'S OVAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh and re: Murray... I was as big a supporter of his as you're likely to find. But I just don't know, anymore. His game has fallen off a cliff.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
.... we traded him for a doorknob named alex strojanov IiRc... and its hard to remember someone that forgetable....

Check out naslands early stats... 11 points in 71 games his first season...only producing when paired with skill players... sucking on the 4th line... often scratched... HOF type player... totally mishandled here
I was there...totally deferent. nas couldn't play with 66. he would always defer to him. but they would continue to try to force him to play there. then they would move him back with peter m. (I think) and he would start to play well so they would move him back up with 66. so it wasn't playing with skilled players it was playing with too skilled players.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
We need like 7 new players. Grant, Wilson, Cullen, Sheahan, Maatta, all need to be gone for WBS speed guys that work hard.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We need like 7 new players. Grant, Wilson, Cullen, Sheahan, Maatta, all need to be gone for WBS speed guys that work hard.

Some truth here.

Sullivan's first item was to inject some speed with WBS players. He seems to have forgotten that mantra.

Sprong looked pretty good last night, and that crossbar/post should be great for his confidence. They need to keep him in the lineup.

Reactions: Andy99

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Oh and re: Murray... I was as big a supporter of his as you're likely to find. But I just don't know, anymore. His game has fallen off a cliff.

As much as he's injured, it wouldn't surprise me if that's damaged his game at this point. Guys with his build don't have a lot of longevity in net.

See also: Zatkoff. Capable backup one year, couldn't move laterally the next.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As much as he's injured, it wouldn't surprise me if that's damaged his game at this point. Guys with his build don't have a lot of longevity in net.

Yeah, for sure. I started getting that sinking feeling last year and I've always been a little concerned about his build. Had hoped it wouldn't be an issue. But I'm just kind of at a loss as to where they go with him, now. I'm sure there are some that will just say what he did was a fluke but nah... there has absolutely been a degradation to his game.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

That, plus concussions, plus personal adversity, plus that defense, plus the stupidly volatile nature of goaltending. Impossible to know the truth of it right now.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Yeah, for sure. I started getting that sinking feeling last year and I've always been a little concerned about his build. Had hoped it wouldn't be an issue. But I'm just kind of at a loss as to where they go with him, now. I'm sure there are some that will just say what he did was a fluke but nah... there has absolutely been a degradation to his game.
Not to mention the D before him, when Schultz becomes a much needed savior you know you're in trouble (not that he's a bad Dman mind you it's just our D in general who needs help (forwards please?)).

In hindsight we could have kept a 2nd draft pick and still kept MM or (argh!) kept MAF who hardly anyone wanted to keep back then.

I wonder if our forwards are overworked helping the D who are overworked themselves trying to help MM?

Meh, what a year can do, still time to... make the PO? (never thought i'd say that at this point in time)

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
So counterpoint: didn't people argue that the team played better in front of Murray when he was looking better than Fleury? I wonder if there's a chicken and egg component here. The goalie looks better when the team plays better, but does the team play better when the goalie is making more stops/giving them confidence? I don't know, but anyway you look at it Murray is in a funk and needs a solid rebound.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Let's hope he can keep those pipe cleaners performing at a high level at least as long as Ryan Miller did.

Reactions: billybudd

Bunnychow

Jun 15, 2016
With the season the way it's going:

1. I hope we do not trade our 1st round pick. We may have a legit lotto pick!
2. Please Do Not Trade our FIRST ROUND PICK.
3. I would love to jettison one of the assistant coaches. Both units are so out of place, I do not know if it's bad forwards pinching or bad defensemen pinching or both but we have horrible structure in all phases. 2/3's of our team is always out of position, that is on the coaches.
4. Would love to see the entire 4th line switched out of WBS guys. We need some speed and energy. Maybe Prow?
5. Cullen, ZR, Grant, Ruhwedel, Maata, etc. just need to be sat. Bad penalties, Bad possession, Bad eye test and analytics.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The Good. I have decided that this is just a really bad slump. This will be unpopular but I didn't hate this game. The 3rd was really promising. They outscored a team playing defensively 3-1 and you could see their confidence building. Cliches aside, I really think they could build on this, the question is will they. Sprong had a nice game. Was that his best of the season? Pearson looked better after getting a practice in. Horny is a beast. I think they said he had 8 shots or something. He's stepping up and being a leader.

The Bad. They absolutely have to quit with the stupid decisions and penalties. It seems like they're trying too hard at times and making things worse with those decisions. Reducing those, we would have won the last few games.

The Ugly. Maatta. I don't think I can take it anymore. Don't even fire him into the Sun, fire him into a black hole so that there's no chance he escapes. Put him in the press box and bring in Riikola. And leave Sheahan out of the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turin and billybudd

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Add Reaves as well to that list. He rufused to play a well liked contributing forward.
I can't tell if people are trolling with the Reaves thing.

But jokes aside, Reaves was used differently in St.Louis and in Vegas and was useful to both teams, the former playing a slower heavy game, the latter playing a system that won us 2 cups but more evolved/adjustments. I think the trade for Reaves was the dumber thing, not trading him away.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

He wouldn't look as bad if the team could defend worth a damn but definitely agree the focus seems to be gone. We should have kept Bales, screw the personal relationship thing. Fleury wasted the better part of a decade with a cheerleader instead of a coach. If the team can show they care, maybe that will rub off on him, but for the moment he's not playing with the same systematic focus he had in our cup runs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, Sullivan has a shelf life, but what exactly do you want him to do?

The roster is clearly terrible on D. Our GM double downed on it and signed a healthy scratch to be our big piece to step up.

I’m assuming Moore and De Haan didn’t even get a call.

Well ok, hold on...John Moore is a guy I was pumping here like I was his agent. That non signing really irked me and was something I was not happy about. DeHaan at 4.55m, not a fan of.

I don't 100% buy that it was JR that went after Johnson, I feel like Crosby had a lot do with it, which might make more sense why we ended up with JJ. I was a huge fan of this team signing Moore as he fit this style more - 6'3", skates well, solid at both ends.

Right now both DeHaan and Moore are producing terrible offensive numbers, but I am sure they're far better defensively (If someone who gets metrics better than I do can look into that)...

JJ was never my choice, I just tried to be positive about a bad situation.

But this roster isn't so bad that Sully's reason for sucking is them. JQ had an even worse roster in Chicago, that one made sense to say it wasn't all him because that roster in Chicago is dreadful outside of that top 6.

Sullivan still had a decent roster to work with, even with or without Brassard. But even with Brassard to start the year, we weren't looking that great.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He wouldn't look as bad if the team could defend worth a damn but definitely agree the focus seems to be gone. We should have kept Bales, screw the personal relationship thing. Fleury wasted the better part of a decade with a cheerleader instead of a coach. If the team can show they care, maybe that will rub off on him, but for the moment he's not playing with the same systematic focus he had in our cup runs.

DeSmith is saving more high percentage scoring chances.
Murray isn't.

That's the issue.

Also, maybe the letting go of Bales and keeping Buckley wasn't the best, but then you look at Casey DeSmith and it's like...Buckley worked with him and is working with Jarry, so what's the real issue with Murray since Buckley was also his guy and that's why they let Bales go in the first place.

There's something clearly wrong with Murray.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
He was putting up 30 points in MJ boring hockey. Is it unreasonable to think he could put up 40-50 points in Sully system? He was a great penalty killer too. I'm just saying he would have been a reliable 3C over the years. We didn't have to waste a 1st and all these wbs scrubs.
I truly thought you were originally being sarcastic. Apparently and sadly you weren't. You can't complain about those trades two Cups later, with Bonino playing significant roles in both. Like holy shit, seriously? Who the f*** cares about Sutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->