Post-Game Talk: Senators 6, Penguins 4 - IT'S OVAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I wish he had that value.

.... we traded him for a doorknob named alex strojanov IiRc... and its hard to remember someone that forgetable....

Check out naslands early stats... 11 points in 71 games his first season...only producing when paired with skill players... sucking on the 4th line... often scratched... HOF type player... totally mishandled here

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
By absolutely no measure was he "absolutely fine." He was Adams/Glass-level bad.

I don't think he was that bad. But it was incredibly frustrating when he was dealt last year and there were maniacs acting like he was a prime Kevin Stevens level power forward.

Reactions: JackFr

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
De Smith is not getting lit up the same or really at all except last night. Look at their game logs, it’s the complete opposite.

Casey DeSmith 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Matt Murray 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com
I’ve explained over and over how much easier of a workload DeSmith has had and how badly Murray gets hung out to dry using advances stats. I’ve recapped Murray’s goals against and how helpless he is to do anything. I’m tired. Go ahead and make DeSmith the starter and watch nothing change.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
De Smith is not getting lit up the same or really at all except last night. Look at their game logs, it’s the complete opposite.

Casey DeSmith 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Matt Murray 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com
It’s pretty much summed up by Emp...

Something else that needs to be noted as well:

Murray falls way below the line, but even look at DeSmith. He's really not much above average at all, I feel like some people view him as this magic bullet to fix the team's goaltending problems. DeSmith is playing well this year so far, but he really hasn't been that good. His ES save% is right in line with a group of like 20 goalies (18 goalies are between a .927 and .934 ES save%, DeSmith is at .931). He should definitely be playing more because Murray has been awful this year, but I feel like DeSmith hasn't been as good as his .930 save% suggests. And on the same point, I don't think Murray has been as bad as his .877 save% suggests, either.

While the goaltending isn’t perfect it’s not the reason we are failing as a team. The team in front of both goalies is playing horrible. Fix the team and the goaltending will fix itself.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I’ve explained over and over how much easier of a workload DeSmith has had and how badly Murray gets hung out to dry using advances stats. I’ve recapped Murray’s goals against and how helpless he is to do anything. I’m tired. Go ahead and make DeSmith the starter and watch nothing change.

I'm with you. Murray hasn't been good, there's no doubt. But man, not only do the advance stats show it, the eyes do too. Team simply plays better in front of DeSmith. He's been better, but let's not act like he's the 2nd coming of Dominik Hasek.

Reminds me of 2009-10 when everyone was losing their minds demanding that Brent Johnson be the starter over MAF.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I know you have but we need wins and De Smith is the better goalie right now and has the better stats. You can’t argue with that.

If the team plays better in front of De Smith, play De Smith!

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I know you have but we need wins and De Smith is the better goalie right now and has the better stats. You can’t argue with that.

But it’s backup goalie syndrome... a team plays harder and smarter with a guy they don’t have as much confidence in, but get careless and take more risks once tgey have confidence in him... then he looks the same as the starter...

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
But it’s backup goalie syndrome... a team plays harder and smarter with a guy they don’t have as much confidence in, but get careless and take more risks once tgey have confidence in him... then he looks the same as the starter...

We can worry about that later. We are 29th in the league standings. De Smith’s stats are better at ES, PK, PP and HDSV%.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I want to see that as much as anyone, but I believe the biggest reason that happened was because Sullivan brought those guys with him. He spent enough time coaching those guys down in WBS and forged a trust with them. I wonder if Sullivan was an assistant coach on MJ's staff, would those guys ever have gotten a fair shot? Did the organizational philosophy for success really ever include keeping that young and fast faucet flowing?

Guys like Hagelin and Daley were successful veteran players whose careers fell off the tracks and found their way again here. And they didn't have to change their game to do it. Sure, there were reclamation projects like Shultz (and Cole before him) that JR picked up, but the problem is he's now overeliant on reclamation projects, thinking everyone will turn out as good as Shultz or Cole, even reaching as far as 10 year veteran Jack effin Johnson. He should be hunting for more Hagelins and Daleys and fewer Sheahans and Oleksiaks.

That's a good question.

Reactions: KIRK

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

let me repeat this to that guy: If the team plays better in front of De Smith, plasy De Smith, who cares how it happened, all it matters is not get out off the play off race

Penguinfan66

Sep 9, 2008
This isn't a lottery pick team. Oh, they have looked like it of late, but they aren't this bad and will win way too much to pick top five. That doesn't mean that they make the playoffs. Just that there is too much talent to end up the year that bad.
Probably right but if it is between missing the last WC spot by a point or two or close to worse in the EC I'd take that latter. But Who knows.....worse time for Crosby to be out just glad it isn't too serious assuming that the one week out prediction is true. Penguins have had bad starts before and still made the playoffs.... I'm just not sure that Mike Sullivan's going to be fired anytime soon even if it continues especially with his best player out

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
There is no excuse for Murray. None. Every game, he allows some bad goal. Anyone remember first game of the season vs WSH? Brooks Orpik beats the guy from the blueline with an unscreened shot. Even this game, we had a lead, then Murray gives up a rebound like that. He´s been flat out the worst goalie in NHL this year. And he was one of the worst last year as well. And the sad thing is, that it looks like he´s getting worse and worse every game, just when you think that it´s impossible to be any worse... Awful stuff. so, he might be the worst goalie in the league now, but I still think he´s not the worst player on this ****ing team. The award goes to Olli Maatta. How is guy still playing regularly is beyond me.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There is no excuse for Murray. None. Every game, he allows some bad goal. Anyone remember first game of the season vs WSH? Brooks Orpik beats the guy from the blueline with an unscreened shot. Even this game, we had a lead, then Murray gives up a rebound like that. He´s been flat out the worst goalie in NHL this year. And he was one of the worst last year as well. And the sad thing is, that it looks like he´s getting worse and worse every game, just when you think that it´s impossible to be any worse... Awful stuff.

As bad as the team has been at times Murray is about 70% responsible for us being where we are.

If he's playing anything like a normal NHL goalie we have 3-4 more wins.

Reactions: Turin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was too busy drinking last night to watch the game. Guessing it was more of the same?

We're in big trouble this year, eh?

Yeah I missed this one. I snuck out of the din of the kitchen to go flip it on for a minute to see how bad they were getting shitwhipped, saw it was 4-1 said "Seems about right" shook my head and went back to the party and didn't think about it the rest of the night. This team is in some fairly serious trouble, I think. They need to turn it around like... games ago, now. Still time but they don't look like they are getting much closer to figuring things out.

Hope your head didn't hurt as bad as mine this morning. The leftover turkey sandwich isn't helping.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah I missed this one. I snuck out of the din of the kitchen to go flip it on for a minute to see how bad they were getting ****whipped, saw it was 4-1 said "Seems about right" shook my head and went back to the party and didn't think about it the rest of the night. This team is in some fairly serious trouble, I think. They need to turn it around like... games ago, now. Still time but they don't look like they are getting much closer to figuring things out.

Hope your head didn't hurt as bad as mine this morning. The leftover turkey sandwich isn't helping.

I'm ok. I didn't go too overboard, thankfully. Glad I missed this one, though.

Glad we have our first though and amused at the thought of getting Hughes. I doubt we'll do bad enough to get him though

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I seriously doubt it gets that bad. But I guess you never know. More likely they suck just bad enough to barely sneak in or JUST miss the playoffs and get a middling first rounder.

Or even worse (and infinitely more likely), JR peddles it for some clown.

I'm sorry... I'm well aware of the whole window and having to make moves that sacrifice your futures for the now but this team needs to start holding on to it's first rounders here and there.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
As bad as the team has been at times Murray is about 70% responsible for us being where we are.

If he's playing anything like a normal NHL goalie we have 3-4 more wins.

You can add a few D men and forwards in with Murray. Not sure it’d be that many wins but I’d like to find out.

Although his stats are terrible, the last 6 games he’s played are worse.
6 starts, pulled 3 times so the total time adds up to 4.5 games. 22 goals against in that time equals a GAA of 4.9 and a SV% of .829

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I seriously doubt it gets that bad. But I guess you never know. More likely they suck just bad enough to barely sneak in or JUST miss the playoffs and get a middling first rounder.

Or even worse (and infinitely more likely), JR peddles it for some clown.

I'm sorry... I'm well aware of the whole window and having to make moves that sacrifice your futures for the now but this team needs to start holding on to it's first rounders here and there.

I think if JR did move the first this year it would be lottery protected. He's not stupid.

But I can see us just making it or just missing like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad