News Article: Senators 21-22 Annual Review

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I went into this season looking for progress, both on an individual level and team level. I think we saw progress from some key guys (Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Stutzle) so on that front the year was successful. At a team level, it's a bit more nuanced, but I think the results were pretty understandable;

Pts%: 26th
Goal differential: 23rd
xGF% (5v5):
25th
xGF% (all): 23rd

Man games Lost: 9th
Cumulative Cap hit lost to injury:
6th
average TOI lost to injury: 9th
Lost WAR to injury: 5th

Based on the above, we finished around where one would expect, perhaps a touch lower than goal differential and xGF% would predict, and while I'm not suggesting this team was drastically better as constructed when we relied on the likes of Mete, Brown and Zaitsev to patrol our blue line, and had guys like Ennis, Sanford and Tierney as regulars up front, I do think it's justifiable to say we were top 5-10 in terms of the impact injuries had on our season. How much better would we have been if not for degree of injuries, it's hard to say, but there's no doubt it had a negative impact relative to the rest of the league on average.

In terms of setting ourselves up for next year, I'm optimistic; Pinto and Sanderson should be positive additions at the very least, and could be impact players. Hamonic imo adds a bit of stability to a backend that was really missing it. Not sure what the offseason will bring, but I expect Dorion to make a move on par with bringing in Dadonov, who, while it didn't work out as hoped, was a coveted UFA.

If I were to grade this year, I'd give it a C+ to B-, not because of how well we played (though I do recognize the impact injuries had) but because I think we're moving in the right direction, and have some momentum to build off.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Odd to have a much better road record than home record

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Injuries mattered a lot more than the injury stats will show.

Norris, Bath, Brown, Chabot, Pinto, White and Murray all dropped out for significant time. It was a pretty massive blow to many of our best players.

But it's almost a moot point. The horrendous start out of the gate sunk us well before many of those injuries happened.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Injuries mattered a lot more than the injury stats will show.

Norris, Bath, Brown, Chabot, Pinto, White and Murray all dropped out for significant time. It was a pretty massive blow to many of our best players.

But it's almost a moot point. The horrendous start out of the gate sunk us well before many of those injuries happened.

If we hadnt signed Del Zotto we would be a playoff team. f***in' McGuire.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Last summer i was still using the Mike Fisher comparable index. Wondering how many of our prospects would end being better than Fisher. I wasnt sure then. But now it seems i embarrassingly set the bar a little low as i think they have all leapt over it. Hopefully Pinto continues the trend.

And our top line really took a step. Last summer i was thinking that really they are a 2nd line and we will need to find two complements for Jimmy that will make that our true top line. But now im thinking they have surprised me and maybe i set the bar too low again.

So now im expecting some good things next year. More core, less filling, to paraphrase an old beer commercial.

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad