Senators 2016-2017 ECF Roster vs Projected 2018-2019 Roster

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
When is the buyout period and what are the rules?

Sometime in June.

We won’t get any cap relief if we buy Burrows out, but we will save over a million dollars for next season.

I say we do it just so we don’t have to carry this useless clown anymore, and open up a spot for someone else. Anyone else.

Reactions: Deku

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Regarding the buyout period I found this:

“The first is the most common - the regular buyout window. The start of this window shifts - it is either June 15th or 48 hours after the Cup is awarded, whichever is later. This window ends at 5pm EST on June 30th, just in time to let the dust settle before free agency starts.” Source: Silver Seven

NHL Buyout Rules - A Refresher

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dump Ryan
Waive Burrows... or get him a new role in Belleville.
Buy out Gaborik

I think there would be no takers for Ryan unless the Senators retain salary, which would likely not be all that beneficial because the team could still use Ryan even though he may be only worth 50% to 60% of his salary.

If you buyout Burrows you would still need to have a 4th Line player. That would probably be a young prospect or our first round pick which would not be bad as those players could possibly benefit from playing in the NHL.

I think the team is screwed by past GM actions.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dump Ryan
Waive Burrows... or get him a new role in Belleville.
Buy out Gaborik
Ryan needs to be Ltired,if he cant play more than 70 games he is worthless to us....He gets hurt again we really need to look at this option.....I mean how many hand injuries can one player have before he cant hold his stick...The other two are obvious,Burrows can eat popcorn for the year...And buying out Gabs has to happen

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ryan needs to be Ltired,if he cant play more than 70 games he is worthless to us....He gets hurt again we really need to look at this option.....I mean how many hand injuries can one player have before he cant hold his stick...The other two are obvious,Burrows can eat popcorn for the year...And buying out Gabs has to happen

I think if Ryan just sat out when he wasn't 100%, we'd be better off. It's the games where he comes in nursing his hand that he's completely ineffective, and more prone to taking another whack on the hands and aggravating it even more. Sit him out and have him work on skating and cardio when he's not healthy, maybe we get 50-60 games of effective Ryan instead of 30 games of effective Ryan, and 40 games of crap. He can be a useful top 6 player when he's going.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, Matt Cane does a contract prediction thing using machine learning. He had the following predicted contracts for Sens players;

Stone: 4 yrs at 8.77 per
Ceci: 1yr at 4.09 (one year here makes sense as any longer an he's a UFA at expiry)
Wideman: 2 yrs at 1.12 (not sure I'd do this given his injury, the machine learning probably doesn't factor that in)
Claesson: 1 yr at 1.06 (seems a touch high, but it's a one year deal, and any replacement with NHL experience would cost you ~800k minimum anyways.
Paajarvi: 1 yr at .9 (I'd do that without thinking twice, good 4th liner)

In all cases, the expected contract would be higher if we went for longer term.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I will believe a buyout when I see one on this current team, the owner seems to have a really hard time paying talent what they are worth, paying someone not to play for the team?...not seeing it from this guy personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I will believe a buyout when I see one on this current team, the owner seems to have a really hard time paying talent what they are worth, paying someone not to play for the teamÉ...not seeing it from this guy personally.

We said the same thing about retaining money, and he finally did it with Phaneuf.

I expect at least one buyout this summer.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
We said the same thing about retaining money, and he finally did it with Phaneuf.

I expect at least one buyout this summer.

Good point, I no longer expect anything from the team as I cannot track their movements and decisions logically, im hoping that they buy out burrows and gaborik

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'm really hoping Burrows shows up and we can get rid of him midway through the season for a late pick. Yes, I'm going hoping for a lot.

Ryan's still an effective player, and we're not a cap team, so it is what it is. I wouldn't want to trade him as an add on. His contract sucks but he's not valueless as a player.

I have nothing to provide on Gabby other than I don't want him here.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just pray to the Lord we didn't re-sign Turris. That would have been an absolute catastrophe.

Turris might have had bad playoffs, but I seriously doubt he lost all ability to pass and shoot within a few months. It may or may not have worked out if we re-signed him but to base your judgement on the last month seems highly reactionary.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Turris might have had bad playoffs, but I seriously doubt he lost all ability to pass and shoot within a few months. It may or may not have worked out if we re-signed him but to base your judgement on the last month seems highly reactionary.

It wasn't based on last month. I was a pretty vocal player that you can't win with Turris making big bucks on the team on a budget team. He is a 2nd line player.

Reactions: Deku

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It wasn't based on last month. I was a pretty vocal player that you can't win with Turris making big bucks on the team on a budget team. He is a 2nd line player.

I think the issue isn't a player of Turris' caliber making 6 mil a year, it's having that, along with Ryan and Gaborik and retention for Phaneuf.

Turris is making Callahan, Dubinsky, Oshie, Steen, Staal, Backes money. 6 mil a year is not outlandish for him at all. Now, if his play falls off, that's an issue, but that could be said for any player (it happened to some of the guys I listed after all). I'm not convinced that Turris is any more likely to see his play fall off long term than the average player. Time will tell, but I think Nashville will be fine with him at 6 mil.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->